IBM Travelstar 40GNX

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking about buying a new harddrive for my iBook and the IBM Travelstar 40GNX seems nice.

Anyone tried it? Got any opinions?

Edit: Here is a <a href="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/travel/tr40gnx.htm"; target="_blank">link</a>.

[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: Fobie ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    The Toshiba MK4019GAX seems like a nice disk too.

<a href="http://www.barefeats.com/fire32.html"; target="_blank">This</a> is pretty intresting.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    engpjpengpjp Posts: 124member
    Hi, I have a 30GB Travelstar with fluid bearings in my WallStreet, bought last November. Two days ago, it suddenly went from being almost totally silent (bar clicks when moving its heads), to giving off a cyclic (1/2 sec) buzz loud enough to annoy me and make my head feel real tired after only one hour.

I had read similar reports about the first fluid bearing models but thought it had been ironed out by the time I bought this one... :-(

engpjp
  • Reply 3 of 8
    that's not a good sign. i had a travelstar with the fluid bearing that made a clicking noise ( kinda like a woodpecker). it eventually failed badly. i was told that it was normal, but i knew it wasn't right because it made noise all the time. i ended up not keeping too much stuff on there and keeping it backed up. if i were you, i'd back my stuff up soon and expect to be sending that drive back to ibm.

on the good side, ibm service was great about replacing the drive. but they will NOT offer any recovery services of data.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    I have a 40GX. It is a nice drive and noticeably faster than other drives I have used.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MCE wants $349 for an iBook including installation which they say is to difficult for us to do ourselves.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>MCE wants $349 for an iBook including installation which they say is to difficult for us to do ourselves.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And boy is it ever; you have to disassemble the entire ibook in order to get to it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    If you follow a manual step by step you should be fine, and you would save some money.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I bought the IBM Travelstar 40GNX few months ago for my Lombard, it's perfect for me. Fast, silent and no strange noises. I'm very pleased!