How Good is Gaming on an iMac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm currently switching and intend to buy an iMac. I was intending to max out the 20" model with 2 gigs a ram and the 256mb videocard. But alas I shall wait for the 23" to do that to.

This will mainly be for work, but I would like to play games on it as well. I know Macs don't make the best game rigs but if I buy a maxed out iMac should I be able to pretty much play anything that is out at the present? (with the courtesy of bootcamp)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Araknid

I know Macs don't make the best game rigs but if I buy a maxed out iMac should I be able to pretty much play anything that is out at the present? (with the courtesy of bootcamp)

You should be able to. I've seen videos of pretty much all the intensive games played on it including Oblivion. As you say, it's not the best but it's pretty fast. I've personally played Doom 3 at the same settings I use for the 6600 on the Quad G5 and it runs just as smoothly. The only thing I don't like is that the imac shows quite visible graphics tearing. It could be due to the high response times of the Apple displays but I don't know. It looks horrible anyway and more reason why we need a Mini with an imac spec so we can pick our own displays.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    You can usually turn on frame sync within a game to prevent tearing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You can run Quake 4 on a MBP without a hitch, so an iMac can probably also run it fine.