i-sightles notebook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Am I the only one who would like a cam-less portable? does anyone think there is a chance in heck of this?

I know there is nothing "evil" going on with it, but I cant help but to think what will happen when some badware starts fiddling with these built in cameras in portables (mac or Windows)...

Is there any demand for a cam-less notebook here in Mac Land, or at least a non-software-controlled hardware lense cover?

Maybe it is just my taste, but I do not like my tools to look back at me...so orwellian

Edited to fix a typo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Am I the only one who would like an cam-less portable? does anyone think there is a chance in heck of this?

I know there is nothing "evil" going on with it, but I cant help but to think what will happen when some badware starts fiddling with these built in cameras in portables (mac or Windows)...

Is there any demand for a cam-less notebook here in Mac Land, or at least a non-software-controlled hardware lense cover?

Maybe it is just my tast, but I do not like my tools to look back at me...so orwellian

umm paranoid much? u think its watching u?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

umm paranoid much? u think its watching u?

Did you read the post? it isnt apple I worry about...I worry about shady 3rd parties...and really: why no hardware lense cover?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Well, I know it's a little inconvenient and not too stylish, but you take some non-trasparent tape (duct tape, electrical tape, etc) and place it over the camera. Then when you want to use it, you just remove the tape. Want peace of mind from possible snoops? Place the tape back.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    A Post-It leaves less residue.

a_greer: would these be the same malicious peoples infesting your MacBook with viruses and spyware? What's that? There isn't any? Exactly.

Just use a Post-It.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Besides, even if the camera is activated by some magical h4x0r phaerie, the green light next to the cam will always glow. And there will be a processor hit as the video encodes. And given your connection, the quality would be pretty crappy to begin with.

In fact, it's way too much trouble. If someone was going to snoop on you, they'd do it elsehow.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Did you read the post? it isnt apple I worry about...I worry about shady 3rd parties...and really: why no hardware lense cover?

You can tell if it's on by the little light next to the camera.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Wow, I wish I had a fanbase that would want to watch me read my email

• Reply 8 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

and really: why no hardware lense cover?

I agree. I don't really care about 3rd parties using it but I hate when I open fairly innocent apps like the bundled games and see my ugly mug on screen. It's like having a personal mirror. Taking into consideration the glossy displays, I'm beginning to think Apple wants us to start looking at ourselves more.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    if your that paranoid, theres always duck tape
  • Reply 10 of 18
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

if your that paranoid, theres always duck tape

Duct tape. Unless you're specifically advertising Duck brand duct tape, that is.

Sorry, I just had to correct that.

Back on topic: with current technology, I'd be less worried about the camera in the machine than in the data your transmitting to forums, chat rooms and online stores. It's much easier to capture & search than employing someone to watch your video stream 24/7.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kesh

Duct tape. Unless you're specifically advertising Duck brand duct tape, that is.

Back on topic: with current technology, I'd be less worried about the camera in the machine than in the data your transmitting to forums, chat rooms and online stores. It's much easier to capture & search than employing someone to watch your video stream 24/7.

Actually, it was duck tape before there was duct tape.

It was named because it repels water like duck's feathers.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

hahahahaha you learn something everyday lol cheers
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I have a friend who works with Lawrence Livermore Labs. They use a lot of Macs, but are having to phase out Apple laptops because they are not allowed to take cameras into the facility. He has to drop off his cell phone every time he visits.

So I do think Apple needs a no-camera model.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

You shouldn't have.

Quote:

It was originally developed during World War II in 1942 under the name "Duck Tape" as a waterproof sealing tape for ammunition cases. [..] The [later] name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning ducts, a purpose for which it, ironically, has been deemed ineffective by the state of California and by building codes in most other places in the U.S.

• Reply 15 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate

I have a friend who works with Lawrence Livermore Labs. They use a lot of Macs, but are having to phase out Apple laptops because they are not allowed to take cameras into the facility. He has to drop off his cell phone every time he visits.

"You loved the iPod Sock, now you'll love the iSight iCepick! Security problems? A one-time application of the iSight iCepick to your MacBook or MacBook Pro's iSight camera, and your problems are over!"
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

"You loved the iPod Sock, now you'll love the iSight iCepick! Security problems? A one-time application of the iSight iCepick to your MacBook or MacBook Pro's iSight camera, and your problems are over!"

The problem is, those guards are not easily convinced. If it has anything that looks like a lens, then good-bye machine. I think at least they''ll be happier now that the Mac Pro is out. For a while, the only intelmacs they were allowed to have were minis.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate

Yes, a relative of mine works at Boeing and they don't allow phones with cameras on them in the facility. He had to get a company authorized phone. Same restrictions would apply to computer cams.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Whilst I don't buy the someone might be watching me line I do think that the presence of a camera is an issue for certain firms/organisations who have commercial or other secrets to protect. You can't take a mobile phone with camera in to a lot of places that design/build new kit so I imagine a laptop with a camera would be considered in the same way.