Synching under Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
IMO the development of synching mobile devices is dissapointing:

It start off very promissing with iSync and the announced SE/Apple cooperation. This commitment never really came to frutatuion as neither SE nor any other mobile phone maker ever actively developed any iSync-Plug-Ins.

And even Apple - for no appearant reason - seems to be dragging its feet when it comes to supporting new phones/devices.

It seems that the synching framework under Tiger is hard to develop for as stated by Novomedia and other phone-plug-in developers. Will this change under Leopard? Will the framework be more open and accessible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    "No apparent reason" = Apple wants you to buy the upcoming iPhone which will sync everything in ways only Apple has dreamed of.

Remember, the "Top Secret" features can point to hardware which hasn't been released yet.

That's my hope, anyhow, because I agree iSync now sucks, and it didn't use to. And the screwy interface changes in Tiger just made things worse.

It's so bad, it's suspiciously bad. That's my hope, anyhow.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I was hoping someone (developer, WWDC attendee etc.) that has already played around with Leopard's synching capabilities could chim in...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I wish there was a way of syncing your desktop and your laptop over your home network instead of having to BUY .Mac for internet services you don't need on a home network.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya

A picture is worth a thousand words.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I wish there was a way of syncing your desktop and your laptop over your home network instead of having to BUY .Mac for internet services you don't need on a home network.

Well, there is if you make a Mac OS X server part of your network...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Looks good, indeed. What OS X version is this screenshot taken from?

I read that the iSync platform (at least under Tiger) is not as open as Apple propagates. Plug-Ins can be created only for phones that work similar to the ones already supported (a phone's direct successor, for example). Did this change?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG

Looks good, indeed. What OS X version is this screenshot taken from?

I read that the iSync platform (at least under Tiger) is not as open as Apple propagates. Plug-Ins can be created only for phones that work similar to the ones already supported (a phone's direct successor, for example). Did this change?

It's post OS X 10.4.7.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

It's post OS X 10.4.7.

As in 10.5? Or rather 10.4.8 or .9?

Where can the folder information be switched on?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG

As in 10.5? Or rather 10.4.8 or .9?

Where can the folder information be switched on?

What was the original subject of this thread?