Buy or wait on the MBP?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There is some expectation that a new one will be comming in the next two weeks. Failing that (assuming the MBP stays the same) should I buy mine and get the free nano or wait?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I'm not really interested in a laptop. Getting the 24" iMac perfect for me. This will be my music & video workstation, baby! Yeeaaaah! (in best Howard Dean voice)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well, has anyone on here ordered a MBP in the past week? Some People were saying that their shipping dates were pushed back until after the 12th. Which would tempt me just to order now assuming that I would recieve an updated MBP?!?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brently

Well, has anyone on here ordered a MBP in the past week? Some People were saying that their shipping dates were pushed back until after the 12th. Which would tempt me just to order now assuming that I would recieve an updated MBP?!?

If you order before the new version is announced, you will still be taking your chances on getting a current-version MBP. I personally wouldn't assume anything, given Apple's secrecy and penchant for "thinking different" both in a creative and business sense.

The current delays in shipping could be due to any number of reasons, and isn't necessarily something Apple is doing on purpose. It is well known that Apple has been having difficulty meeting the increased demand for laptops.

From a business angle, it would make more sense for Apple to allow you to buy a current-version MBP from now until the day the new version is announced -- even if the announcement is only a week or two away. We're still in the famed "back-to-school" laptop buying corridor, and the U.S. is spending billions on notebook computers as we speak. I wouldn't expect Apple to make any decisions that would purposefully slow their sales. Why miss out on potential sales (back-to-schoolers, for example, who are too impatient to wait for a MBP to ship and opt for a Dell instead . . . that may sound crazy to us MacFiends, but not everyone is as discerning ) when you could move all the units you have?

P.S. - I am in this same boat right now, waiting for Merom to come to the MBP so I can get one!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    People STILL ask the 'buy now or wait' question?

Even though the correct answer has been given hundreds of times already?

Why? Are they dim?