Logitech G15

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This appears to be a very good gaming keyboard (In Windows)

However, Ive heard rumours that this will not be compatible with a Mac Pro.

Can anyone provide some input on this ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My guess is that the keyboard part will work but the wholly unnecessary mini-display bullshit that Logitech caters to 14-year-old boys won't.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

My guess is that the keyboard part will work but the wholly unnecessary mini-display bullshit that Logitech caters to 14-year-old boys won't.

You'd be surprised. I bought the Logitech MX5000 bluetooth desktop. Had a bluetooth mouse + keyboard combo. The keyboard's lcd worked on a very basic level. Shows volume adjustments, time, etc. Even the touch-panel media sliders worked.

What didn't work? The FRICKIN KEYS. No joke. Everything but they keys worked without a hitch sans a compatible driver.

The mouse works perfectly though. =)

- Xidius
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Hmm ? Oh my, that isnt very comforting...

Remember, I only want it for XP though-

ill use a different keyset for OSX
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 132GHz,4TB DDR8 SDRAM,95TB HDD

Hmm ? Oh my, that isnt very comforting...

Remember, I only want it for XP though-

ill use a different keyset for OSX

Logitech is latched firmly to Microsoft's testicles.

So no worries there.

- Xidius
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah It's All A Conspiracy, That's Why My Logitech G5 Works Awesome With Usboverdrive
  • Reply 6 of 7
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Yeah It's All A Conspiracy, That's Why My Logitech G5 Works Awesome With Usboverdrive

It's also why my Logitech Elite Keyboard and MX1000 which I've been using since 10.3 work flawlessly with OS X (using Logitech's own drivers, no less).

Just because some of their GAMING products aren't released for mac doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other products.

That keyboard looks cool though.. maybe with the release Mac Pro and upgraded iMacs they'll start writing OS X drivers for more of their products.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Logitech's drivers are half-assed, far and few between. Supposing you buy one of the lucky few items supported by their shoddy preference pane, you quickly learn how much more of a hassle it is to deal with them, than to find a 3rd party solution.

If you are truly oblivious, why not go read a few posts at the on-going [url=http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14421&mode=feedback[/url] feedback page, on VersionTracker.

You'll find the majority of users needing to constantly downgrade from driver updates because of constant software conflicts.

Here, allow me to post a few choice excerpts from (just) the first page:

Quote:

I don't know why I decided to install this after my previous bad experiences with their software, but I did want all those shiny buttons to work... This version of LCC installs APE. Maybe you're OK with that. I'm not.

I'm not aware if previous versions of LCC also installed APE.

The installer doesn't uninstall it, either.

Quote:

Just removed this after it started causing lots of system crashes. If you looked at Activity Monitor it showed the top-most process as 'not responding' and LoginWindow as 'not responding'. Obviously if you try to force quit LoginWindow you will be forced to log out of the system and thus lose what you are working on. If you force quit the other non-responsive process (which is usually the app you're working in) then you lose the work as well.

Finally tracked it down to a recent install of v2.1 of this for my new Revolution MX mouse (which is great) and have removed it. Lost the additional functions of the mouse, but have not had any crashes or lost any work in today.

Quote:

Installed and re-installed several times, but as soon as I want to open the control-panel, the app 'unexpetedly quit'. Repaired permissions etc., but at no avail. I'll have to recert to 2.0.

(G5 dualcore 2,3, Tiger 10.4.7)

And that's just from the first page. It goes on for another 400 pages or so, and since ~2002 I don't remember more than 5% of the responses having anything positive to say.

So to summarize:

Logitech makes GREAT mice and keyboards. (I use an MX1000 Bluetooth mouse)

They also have FANTASTIC Windows support.

In addition, they shit on the faces of mac users by creating crappy drivers that cause more pain and frustration than they do good, by making a wireless "Mac-edition" keyboard/mouse solution that ISN'T EVEN BLUETOOTH, and declining help on their tech support lines at the mention of a macintosh computer. Despite their drivers they "do not actively support that platform".

Did I mention they make great mice and keyboards?

In closing:

If you have a Logitech Mouse or Keyboard, you're more than likely going to have to depend on 3rd party apps such as USBoverdrive or the default Apple Drivers (which work fine for my BT mouse), and if you're one of the lucky few whose products are supported by the LCC, then you are still probably better off depending on the default Apple Drivers and a 3rd party app to assign the keys..

- Xidius