Star Treks 40th And The TOS Remaster

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I know many of you probably know about the remastering of the original series with rerecorded music, HD transfer, and CGI exterior effects but if you want to see the trailer you should go here

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?&e...d842def.836180

They really did go to a lot of trouble. When I first watched the video they showed some stock shots of the Enterprise and I thought " I've seen this before ". But when they finally get around to showing how the ship looks now ( and I picked my jaw up off the floor ) I thought " Wow! ". This is something I've hoped they would do for years.

Much more info at AICN and other places

A nice celebration of their 40th.

Star Trek remastered premires on Sept 16 syndicated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've tried opening the link above with both Firefox and Safari, and it crashes both browsers for me.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh that pun at the end is AWFUL.

I'll admit it, when I first heard about this, I figured it was going to just suck, but y'know... it doesn't look too bad.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Damn! That's almost enough to make me forget I don't like TOS!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    "The Ship Hits The Fans"... Ouch!

Anyway, they hardly changed anything it looks like... I've never gotten around to buying the original series, this one I might. You can't beat the original. Kinda looking forward to the re-set movie in the works, too.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I finally got the trailer to play... had to use Parallels to get it play, for some odd reason.

Looks great. I was trying to find this on local TV this Saturday, however, and don't see anything but f*cking college football all night on the Boston CBS station. I'll be pissed if they're pre-empting Star Trek for the damned game.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    PFFT. Sorry, still no interest in ST OS. Deep Space Nine - Now that's my thing. All 7 seasons, a masterful story arc, great character development, and good effects that stand up to this day, 10 years on... I'd like them to remaster that - go back to the original film and produce some scintillating 1080p HiDef and Dolby 5.1.

The Ship Hits The Fans is a terrible, terrible, promo line. The worst for the SciFi genre I have EVER heard. Tragic, really.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

I finally got the trailer to play... had to use Parallels to get it play, for some odd reason.

Looks great. I was trying to find this on local TV this Saturday, however, and don't see anything but f*cking college football all night on the Boston CBS station. I'll be pissed if they're pre-empting Star Trek for the damned game.

Are you looking on what used to be the local UPN affiliate? What ever that is there it's replacing Enterprise wherever it played last week. Here in the Portland market it's KPDX and plays at a dumb time ( 10:00 pm ). Most UPN stations are brain dead so there's little fan fare.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

PFFT. Sorry, still no interest in ST OS. Deep Space Nine - Now that's my thing. All 7 seasons, a masterful story arc, great character development, and good effects that stand up to this day, 10 years on... I'd like them to remaster that - go back to the original film and produce some scintillating 1080p HiDef and Dolby 5.1.

The Ship Hits The Fans is a terrible, terrible, promo line. The worst for the SciFi genre I have EVER heard. Tragic, really.

Really? I always felt that Deep Space Nine was Star Trek's answer to "Hotel" (starring Shari Belafonte Harper and Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0085032/
  • Reply 9 of 16
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    STTNG ended too soon. I really miss it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Really? I always felt that Deep Space Nine was Star Trek's answer to "Hotel" (starring Shari Belafonte Harper and Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0085032/

Yes, DS9 was somewhat of a "soap opera in space". But for the sci-fi genre the characters and drama was absolutely scintillating. Babylon5 was really good but the visual look is too cheesy by today's standards. DS9 stands up as great drama, good visuals, engaging 7-season plotline and some very deep themes on war, politics, love, racism, etc. It's very anti-StarTrek-ness is what I like about it. I mean, it's the only Star Trek franchise which actually has a super kickass ship - the Defiant - DS9 brought Star-Wars (originals) style space action sequences to the Star Trek universe.

All the other Star Trek is like...

"Sir, there's this ship"

"Hail it"

"Charge shields"

"Hail it again"

"No response"

[focus on captain]

[captain looks deep in thought]

"Sir, what shall we do?"

[captain thinks deeper]

"Hail it again"

"No response"

"Prepare photon torpedoes"

[alien comes on screen]

"What are you doing in our borders"

[captain answers:]

"We come in peace"

[alien looks pissed]

[some alien blah blah blah]

"Fire photon torpedo one"

"Torpedo away sir"

[wait]

[wait]

"We've disabled their weapons sir"

[wait]

[wait]

[alien comes on screen]

"You will pay for this"

[captain says:]

"We had no choice"

[wait]

[blah blah blah]

[alien ship retreats]

BOOOOOOOOOOORINGGGGGGGGGG

• Reply 11 of 16
    DS9 With the Defiant was all like,

"Sir, JemHa'dar ships".

"Let's roll"

[kickass action sequence]

No prancing around la laa la ooh there's this alien ship and we're all about peaceful exploration and shit.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

DS9 With the Defiant was all like,

"Sir, JemHa'dar ships".

"Let's roll"

[kickass action sequence]

No prancing around la laa la ooh there's this alien ship and we're all about peaceful exploration and shit.

Well since you've decided to come in and bomb the thread with DS9 I'll tell you What's what about DS9.

First without TOS there wouldn't be a DS9.

Second DS9 was as slow as molasses for the first 3 years until the Jemadar war. Which came from it's competition with B5.

Third did you know that JMS proposed the idea to Roddenberry many years before and he shelved it. It was realized by Berman many years later.

It really began to shine in about the 6th season with episodes like " Dance with the devil in the pale moonlight ".

Also you'll notice DS9 got better once they had a ship to ride around in and go places just like all the other ST shows.

I liked DS9 but it wasn't without it's flaws.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Now it's time for some Star Trek inspirational posters.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I loved DS9 from the first episode. To me, DS9 seemed to be the only one of the post-TOS Trek series that found its footing in the first season. Commander Sisko, oddly enough considering he was supposed to be at the center of things, was the least developed character for a while, but everything else seemed to come together quickly.

DS9 is the only Trek series that I've bothered to buy on DVD, and I've got the complete series which I've watched from beginning end. I'd often put in a disc saying to myself, "Guess I'll watch one episode now", and I'd end up watching the whole thing, and maybe putting in the next disc after that.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    September 16 downloaded into iCal, course laid in!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 16 of 16
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Is that Denise Crosby/Tasha Yar singing the remastered theme?