Briefly: delayed stream of 'blockbuster' Apple event likely

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orky56

mmm Tablets are not cheap and seem like the most inefficient way to enable Video streaming. Apple is PWNing the notebook market and wouldn't want to take a chunk out of their own market share just to get out into the relatively non-existent Tablet market.

Yea i could be wrong

That statement makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

i wonder when they will stop selling the HiFi and just sorta sweep it under the carpet and let Lisa have a friend. Or take a daring turn and make it worth the 300 bucks. Anyone speculating news on the iPhone or anything?

Correction. Make it worth the 349 bucks.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    i'm trying to think if unveiling a 8gb nano, having the fabled touch-screen, bigger screen iPod Video, and announcement about the new Full-Length Movie store is enough for a KeyNote

?
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

You may be right. I re-read the Engadget post and it doesn't exactly mention coverage of the actual event, just "pre-game" coverage. Link for those who are interested: (link).

Nope, it'll be live coverage...
    "It's only been about a month since we last held court with his Steveness (we have what's supposedly a banner this time, too), but tomorrow bright n' early on the PST we're going to bring you our live coverage of Stevie J.'s "It's Showtime" keynote at the Yerba Buena Center in downtown San Francisco."
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:

I wanted to post this sooner but AppleInsider took a long while to validate my account.

Anyhoo, from what it looks like Apple will not be doing what MS did and try to create a "desktop computer that has a TV tuner, RAM-hungry, and looks awkward & small on a computer monitor (<20 in.)

I know an individual who has been hired at Apple in the past couple months who had previously created a program called Tryst (http://www.trystx.com/). This would enable the host computer to stream video over a network.

Aiport Extreme with iTunes does a similar thing among computers on a local network. If you add video to Airport Extreme and have a simple connection to a HDMI/DVI or whatever TV connection, you essentially have the full functionality of streaming your favorite full-length movie. At the same time, you're not invading on your TV's basic functionality.

Yea Apple could go ahead and add a TV-tuner to their Mac Mini but that doesn't relate enough to where the money is...full-length movies.

--

As everyone knows, iTunes sucks for music and although QuickTime is an ingenuous format as an application it sucks. It lacks much of the UI people like. We're most likely going to see a big change to iTunes that handles videos, specifically full-length videos better (the better option) or we're going to see a big change to QuickTime which would incorporate playlists and all the neat things iTunes has (the worse option since its another program).

Oh well, we'll see tomorrow.

So, Francisco Tolmasky was hired at Apple? Is Apple going to acquire Tryst?
  • Reply 26 of 62
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Nope, it'll be live coverage...
    "It's only been about a month since we last held court with his Steveness (we have what's supposedly a banner this time, too), but tomorrow bright n' early on the PST we're going to bring you our live coverage of Stevie J.'s "It's Showtime" keynote at the Yerba Buena Center in downtown San Francisco."

Except the banner was fake. \ I think there will be live coverage though.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper

I don't agree that AppleInsider hyped the February music event the same way. We believe the impact of this event will be much, much larger. I think we said that event was to include the Mac mini (which it did), possibly the iPod Boombox (which it did) and possibly the MacBook (which we later said wouldn't arrive). The announcements of this event are held down much closer. Movies are huge in my opinion.

All the best,

Kasper

Unless they are 320x240.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Apple seems to be making a big enough deal of this, so it would make sense to stream the presentation. The auditorium looks a lot bigger than the one that they dumped the HiFi into. If they stream it, I'll probably have to go to the coffee shop or someone's house to see it though.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

So, Francisco Tolmasky was hired at Apple? Is Apple going to acquire Tryst?

this is from his blog:

My new apartment is pretty nice and only about two blocks away from Apple so I can walk to work every day. As soon as I get the gallery up and running I’ll post some pictures of the inside, although it’s still pretty empty.

so I guess that should explain more than enough.

Tryst was made in 2004 (is freeware) and I think this developer and Apple have come a lot further since then. That's not to say Tryst won't be implemented but at the same time it'll be significantly different enough.

For instance Tryst is limited to streaming on one's own network which is really cool. But if iChat integrates this it would be network AND internet A/V streaming.

The thing I'm most curious about is which App theyre going to choose to integrate the new functionality.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    i predict that the iPod will kick major butt... while everything else will be underwhelming
  • Reply 31 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Yes, it was a joke. That wasn't obvious, hmmm?

Nothing is obvious here.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Nothing is obvious here.

What's the matter, Mel? I, for one, am excited about tomorrow... Can't wait.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrandeDrip

My first post on AI- been waiting for my account to be activated for a few days.

I have been thinking that all of the puzzle pieces we have right now are leading towards a Tablet Mac- to me, it is one of the only solutions that makes sense. It would incorporate virtually everything that people want and would need into a complete digital lifestyle device, thus bridging thes gaps (both physical and psychological) between the computer, the person, and the livingroom.

...more to come

Wait! That was your second post!

Ah well, welcome anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:

What's the matter, Mel? I, for one, am excited about tomorrow... Can't wait.

I am too...yawn. What? Something happening tommorrow?
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi

There won't be the usual text updates as I doubt the people who do such things have been invited. Its quite possible we'll know nothing about whats announced until after it has finished and the apple site is updated.

MacWorld should be invited, and they usually do that. But maybe it won't be allowed.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

Unless they are 320x240.

Well, yes. Then they are small.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

MacWorld should be invited, and they usually do that. But maybe it won't be allowed.

if its not something cool enough for people to have to play around with, it means its mostly for investors. so something like a new service or numerical upgrade rather than a completely new product or redesign seems most likely
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:

this is from his blog:

My new apartment is pretty nice and only about two blocks away from Apple so I can walk to work every day. As soon as I get the gallery up and running I?ll post some pictures of the inside, although it?s still pretty empty.

so I guess that should explain more than enough.

Tryst was made in 2004 (is freeware) and I think this developer and Apple have come a lot further since then. That's not to say Tryst won't be implemented but at the same time it'll be significantly different enough.

For instance Tryst is limited to streaming on one's own network which is really cool. But if iChat integrates this it would be network AND internet A/V streaming.

The thing I'm most curious about is which App theyre going to choose to integrate the new functionality.

After that blog, I wonder if he still works there.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:

if its not something cool enough for people to have to play around with, it means its mostly for investors. so something like a new service or numerical upgrade rather than a completely new product or redesign seems most likely

They did invite the press, but they likely invited analysts as well.

They are going to stream it after the presentation is over. That's what they've been doing lately, though I don't know why, as they used to do it live.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I always like it when Kasper comes out on the balcony and waves to the crowd....