MacTheRipperAppleEdition, 99¢ each rip?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
since I've ripped my CDs to iTunes, I don't want to miss that feature... all music, instant access, via Airport throughout my gigantic 2rooms flat...

now, iTV...

as we know, a rip of my commercial DVDs is technical prohibted...

and as we all know, you can overrun that copyprotection... which is illegal...

what if....

SJ makes a deal with the FilmIndustry; Apple intergrates a DVDripping tool into iT; insert DVD, iT shows Title, Cover etc... and offers a 99¢fee, if you like to rip the DVD to your harddrive, within the iTV specs...?

for sure, such a rip is h264 encoded, incl. a DRM, the usual limitations, one computer, 5 videoPods... blabla...

ok, copy protection/copy rights are handled very different in different territories, here in Germany, the laws speak of "effective copy protection" - but, if the protection doesn't work (because a LEGAL tool/workflow switches it off), it is allowed to copy... and if the content's rights owner allows a copy...?

just a thought...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic

since I've ripped my CDs to iTunes, I don't want to miss that feature... all music, instant access, via Airport throughout my gigantic 2rooms flat...

now, iTV...

as we know, a rip of my commercial DVDs is technical prohibted...

and as we all know, you can overrun that copyprotection... which is illegal...

what if....

SJ makes a deal with the FilmIndustry; Apple intergrates a DVDripping tool into iT; insert DVD, iT shows Title, Cover etc... and offers a 99¢fee, if you like to rip the DVD to your harddrive, within the iTV specs...?

for sure, such a rip is h264 encoded, incl. a DRM, the usual limitations, one computer, 5 videoPods... blabla...

ok, copy protection/copy rights are handled very different in different territories, here in Germany, the laws speak of "effective copy protection" - but, if the protection doesn't work (because a LEGAL tool/workflow switches it off), it is allowed to copy... and if the content's rights owner allows a copy...?

just a thought...

Screw that! I own the DVD same as I own the CD...I can rip it without paying a transfer tax, same as you can transfer CD to ipod without a transfer tax...

Honestly though, you will not see a DVD ripper or dvd burability in itunes ever, they are now interested in the store and expencive hardware with end-to-end lockin, they want to sell you the apple version of the movie in addition to or in place of DVD... they also want you buying a $200 iTV as opposed to a $20 DVD deck, or $70 for HD upconverting DVD deck
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Why bother? Not really a big deal since third party rippers work pretty well.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

they want to sell you the apple version of the movie in addition to or in place of DVD... they also want you buying a $200 iTV as opposed to a $20 DVD deck, or $70 for HD upconverting DVD deck

total applelization.