I just installed MacOS 7.5.3 on a MacBook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wanted to experiment because I want to run some ancient 680x0 software.

There is a universal binary JIT Basilisk II Emulator at http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/enrojects:basilisk2

So I got System 7.5.3 installed into a disk image. I've definitely been remembering it with rose colored glasses. There's still great things about it, but it's also dated. What was a bit startling, is that it was able to see the macbook hard drive and called the volume 'unix'.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wow.

I still have 7.5.3 on a 680LC40 in my basement i think.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I never made it up to 7.5.3, I was stuck at 7.1
  • Reply 3 of 8
    So yeah, I was just playing for the longest while with it. If anyone needs help let me know..

You will need a rom.. search for quadra650.rom, there are others but hard to find (I was looking for a 24 bit rom to try 6.08 with), the OS images can come from Apple's download page or a pre-made one.. I used a 7.1 boot disk, and put together a complete install using Apple's image and installed that.

Be sure to enable the JIT compiler for full speed, turn window redraw to 60 hz for smoother graphics. I was using it set at 68040.

I figured out the Unix disk thing.. it's equilivalent to a shared folder like in Parallels.. you give it a pathname or none at all.

You use disk utility to make an image that you will give basilisk and then system7 will format.. and then you will be able to move files in there from the os x desktop too.

I should write up better instructions.. I figured all this out from looking at other how-to's on the web, but one was for windows, etc. so it was all awkward to piece together.

Anyways it's pretty cool to have System 7 again.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    yeah, because if someone can get that up to OS 8 or 9 capabilities, we have Classic again on the Mactels.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

yeah, because if someone can get that up to OS 8 or 9 capabilities, we have Classic again on the Mactels.

http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/enrojects:sheepshaver
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Basilisk II can do OS 8, but I don't see any point because my target is 680x0 machines.. of which the only OS 8 version that was supported was 8.1, and nothing after. Besides one of the softwares I'm interested in first came out for System 6 on 68000, so I don't want to get too far ahead.

I'll write up clear instructions later, perhaps after work while I do laundry, I'll be able to write it in such a way that the only thing you really need to get is the ROM (a 1 meg file).

As for OS 9, this is interesting. On the PPC versions of OS X, they come with an entire library and support to run OS 9 apps in X from what I understand.. on Intel versions of X they come with something called Rosetta to translate between PPC X to Intel X.. so I think all that is needed here, is for someone who has a really good understanding of system internals to create an envelope that OS 9 could be stuffed into, and then pushed through Rosetta. Should work, in theory. Probably the real reason this didn't occur is because Apple wanted to force developers to write shiny new apps using the X api's instead of sticking with 'legacy' apps causing headaches for years to come like what happened with DOS & Windows.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarch

Basilisk II can do OS 8, but I don't see any point because my target is 680x0 machines.. of which the only OS 8 version that was supported was 8.1, and nothing after. Besides one of the softwares I'm interested in first came out for System 6 on 68000, so I don't want to get too far ahead.

I'll write up clear instructions later, perhaps after work while I do laundry, I'll be able to write it in such a way that the only thing you really need to get is the ROM (a 1 meg file).

As for OS 9, this is interesting. On the PPC versions of OS X, they come with an entire library and support to run OS 9 apps in X from what I understand.. on Intel versions of X they come with something called Rosetta to translate between PPC X to Intel X.. so I think all that is needed here, is for someone who has a really good understanding of system internals to create an envelope that OS 9 could be stuffed into, and then pushed through Rosetta. Should work, in theory. Probably the real reason this didn't occur is because Apple wanted to force developers to write shiny new apps using the X api's instead of sticking with 'legacy' apps causing headaches for years to come like what happened with DOS & Windows.

This didn't occur because, afaik, Rosetta can't handle 68k code, which is heavily present both in some older apps and in the OS itself.

Also, again, check out the link to SheepShaver. You can run up to OS 9.1 with it, including 68k and PPC code.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Sounds good!

Try and get a copy of 'Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond the Mackerel' to work. (abandonware, ebay?)

wiki