Encoding Video to 640 x 480

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone figured out how to encode their own video to 640 x 480 resolution yet?

This appears to be the most overlooked killer feature out of everything Apple released last Tuesday.

Am I the only one who cares how awesome this is? Now I just want to get my stuff (Divx and DVD's) onto this format asap. But how?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'm trying to find an irony tag somewhere in your post.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    What are you talking about?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    What is so special about encoding to 640x480, as opposed to any other resolution? You take the video, encode it through QuickTime Pro or whatever, and off you go. I don't see how this was "the most overlooked killer feature".
  • Reply 4 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Couldn't you encode your own stuff that way previously? The only difference now is that iTunes-purchased videos are encoded at that resolution.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Couldn't you encode your own stuff that way previously? The only difference now is that iTunes-purchased videos are encoded at that resolution.

My point exactly.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I'm sorry. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I forgot to mention the iPod in my first post. I guess I just figured that since it was the iPod forum...

It's my understanding the iPod wasn't able to do this 640x480 resolution before the new firmware update.

So how are you all doing your encoing for the iPod now at this higher resolution? Because I'm using Videora and still encoding at the lower 320x176 widescreen resolution. But I want to use the higher resolution since I'm always using my iPod for watching videos on my TV. And I want to start backing up some of my DVD's to a nice portable format. I've tried videora at higher custom settings but it doesn't work. So I'm looking for a solution.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    The best way to encode a DVD is Handbrake. Doesn't support the Low Complexity Profile though, so your 640x480 videos won't play on the iPod. But you can encode it in a ridiculously high quality and then convert the movie with iTunes or Quicktime. I encode all the video material that is already a movie file with iTunes/Quicktime as well. Works quite well, but a bit slow. On my MBP 1.83GHz it takes usually as long as the movie is, if not a tad longer. But it works in the background and I can continue my work as if nothing were.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Hey dont knock the dude... I see what he is getting at, apple nailed the quality verses storage size sweet spot with their movies!!!!!!!!!!!! i can say so... i have three itunes movies from the store so far and plan to buy more! they look damn good on a big screen too.

and thats from an ibook with a shitty 32 meg video card.

as many others have said,buy with confidence... at a gig and change for each movie its easy to gauge what size hard drive to go out and buy,and besides the qaulity has doubled with t.v. shows in less than a year, you think they arent going to continue the trend? hell yeah they will,some people at the event were able to get inside they itvs setting and it will upscale/output any incoming signal to 1080P yes you heard that right!

apple is going to do what they do best,settle format wars and technology dust,they did it with music in relation to expensive ass disks record company greed and piracy,they will do the same with hd and blue ray by giving us a way to have virtual blue ray through upscaling of our current material signals you think apple isnt aware that that is were things are headed "watch it happen" sony is doing it with thier tv boxes,you think apple doesnt know?

btw i have seen personally terminator 2 playing on two identical blue ray sets one with a regular dvd signal upscaled using and upscaler and one with straight blue ray disk signal.

guess what folks they were damned near identical!!! very very very close!

the blue ray signal had a little more color saturation thats about it.

I for one cant wait for Itv or Itube whatever it may be called. i think apple is gonna do it again................. just like they did with the ipod