Odd desktop icon spacing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

Do the icon columns seem too spaced apart? I have it set on Keep Arranged by Kind, so this is done automatically. But I choose Snap to Grid, there is space to slide the columns closer together? I like how the Keep Arranged organizes the stuff on the desktop (i.e. my External HDs), so is there any way to make icons closer together (which looks nicer IMHO)?

Here is the link to the screenshot:

http://static.flickr.com/94/244319420_0d113be9e5_o.png

Thank you,

William

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Nope. Can't change the spacing. That is an added feature of Leopard.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Something's not right. The spacing in your pic is equal to three columns on my Mac. If I space my icons like in your pic and choose Arrange by Kind they snap back close together. Have you tried Arrange by Kind again?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yes, that exactly what I mean. I seemed to have "fixed" it if I changed the text size from 10 to 11. But that seems odd because I think I've had it on 10pt all the time. Maybe not?

If used Snap to Grid to slide the colunm over, and then I use Arrange by Kind again, it spaces them back out like the picture again.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple_convert

Yes, that exactly what I mean. I seemed to have "fixed" it if I changed the text size from 10 to 11. But that seems odd because I think I've had it on 10pt all the time. Maybe not?

There was a bug like this in 10.4.x before 10.4.7, I believe. Are you up-to-date?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the grid spacing in mac os x has always been schizophrenic, even moreso when they added the ability to list the info to the right of the icon, and also to list the added info (like size, etc.) the grid will also change size depending on the size of text you have for your icons. well, maybe not the grid, but if you, say, snap to grid, and then start playing with the font size incrementally, you'll find that some icons will or won't snap to a particular spot, depending solely on how much space the text takes up.

i'm not even sure where the origin of the desktop grid originates from. i would ASSUME the right hand side, since you wouldn't want your icons for hard drive and such with names truncated as they fell off the side. mind you, things get REALLY wacky if you have multiple monitors, because now mac os x WILL let you position icons so that the names fall off the edge of the monitor.

personally, i just wish, when adjusting the grid, they'd just show a quick, light overlay so you could actually SEE what's happening, rather than trying to guess based off the hopscotch the icons go on.