Does 10.2.2 kill spanning in iBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering. If the scant reports are to be believed, scanning has been possible in the new generation of iBooks, but maybe now it's been killed with the new update.

I always thought that if they were going to cripple spanning they would do it with an update and not the new hardware release, since it currently comes with 10.2.1. (And for that matter, I believe 10.2.2 was already a work in progress when the spanning hack was discovered, so maybe spanning won't be stopped until the release of 10.2.3?)

Edit: Cleaning up my vague writing.

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: Awimoway ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Imagine buying an ibook knowing that you can span through this hack. Only to find out you'll lose the ability if you upgrade to the latest version of OSX.

It would be a very strong message from Apple that they're crippling the iBook to further differentiate the laptop lines.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    The spanning hack works and possibly better than before! I have the 12.1" 700 combo. After updating to 10.2.2 and enabled journaling, I tried hooking it to my 21" CRT. First, it still works like a charm, however, I am now able to go up to 85hz which I don't think I could do before. I did turn off the 'Show modes recommend by display' option, however.

1600x1200 @ 85 hz. looks great!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by klinux:

<strong>The spanning hack works and possibly better than before! I have the 12.1" 700 combo. After updating to 10.2.2 and enabled journaling, I tried hooking it to my 21" CRT. First, it still works like a charm, however, I am now able to go up to 85hz which I don't think I could do before. I did turn off the 'Show modes recommend by display' option, however.

1600x1200 @ 85 hz. looks great!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Congratulations Klinux. That's great news. I didn't buy the string starter's premise in the first place. I knew someone like you would report no problem. I'm going to post your news over at SpyMac now. Thanks again. We at SpyMac love you.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Glad to help out. I know my monitor (Nokia 445 Pro - 21" Trinitron tube) can go up to at least 100 hz since I have no problem hitting that with an XP PC with a 32 MB GF2 card. However, with the iBook I can only get up to 85 hz and no higher in variety of resolutions (this was all done in millions of color, BTW).