2.0ghz macbook worth it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i'm a student who is desperate to get a macbook. i would never consider the black as it's just a waste of money, but is it worth paying the £150 more for the midrange one?

£150 gets a dvd burner and an extra 0.17ghz CPU speed. i can easily hook up an external dvd burner (or look for an internal replacement) and i'd be looking to upgrade to 2Gb of RAM myself anyway (which should increase the speed dramatically). so, after all of this talking, heres my question:

Quote:

is £150 worth it for a 0.17ghz faster CPU?

thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, it isn't.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

No, it isn't.

Hey, I am a student too, I spent the extra money and got the built-in super drive which I have wanted for over a year now. I have an external dvd burner, but it is slow as all hell, and I would love to be able to burn a dvd anywhere I go, I would say the extra money is completely worth the money. I just bought a 2.0Ghz MacBook with superdrive and it was not too expensive, I really look foward to getting, the ability to burn dvds with no addition software is crucial for me, and I am only a Software Engineer, I am not making movies or anything like that, I just need a way to back up my stuff.

*Sorry for this post be so late*

-iGrant
  • Reply 3 of 3
    definitly get the upgrade.

im a student as well, i just purchased the base Black model and i love it. currently i'm still running on 512MB of ram but i will be installing 2GB of ram tonight!!

i wanted the black mostly for its looks but i was happy that it came with the superdrive, the larger harddrive and the 2.0GHz.

i doubt you'll ever notice the 0.17 difference in day to day usage but i'll say that it will be soooooo much nicer to have the superdrive built in and ready to use at any time. so much easier, worry-free and convenient than an external drive.

you're a student so you should already be saving $100 (dunno what that converts to for you) but that's about how much it is for us American customers to upgrade from the 1.8 to the 2.0

also, i'd recommend newegg.com for purchasing your RAM. i ordered mine on thursday and it already arrived at my house today. (only cost me $216 in US dollars)

definitly go with 2 gigs. my 512 is so lacking that i cant imagine 1GB being enough (at least for my impatient self)

good luck with gettin your MacBook!!! i'm sure you'll love whichever one you decide to buy