What does Apple have against Europe?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Why waste a comment by not making a point?

Because he has a really valid point?

Opening stores is expensive. You have to make sure their profitable.

If you just open like 50 stores in Ireland, and then realize "oops! Ireland's the only one who buys any of our stuff in Ireland," you've just blown a billions of dollars.

They do lots of careful research to make sure they'll be profitable somewhere before they launch. If they're not profitable in Ireland now, that sucks, but they shouldn't pop open stores for your convenience. Even in the states you generally have to drive an hour or so to get to one.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Even in the states you generally have to drive an hour or so to get to one.

There isn't an Apple store within a 10 hour drive for me. Ireland could get to the London Apple store in that time!
  • Reply 43 of 53
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

They do lots of careful research to make sure they'll be profitable somewhere before they launch. If they're not profitable in Ireland now, that sucks, but they shouldn't pop open stores for your convenience. Even in the states you generally have to drive an hour or so to get to one.

I know that Ireland specifically mentioned stores, but there is a much wider issue.

It seems that a few of you have no concept of how low the awareness of OS X is outside the US. As an example, there was an episode of the BBC technology podcast ("digital planet") that had a feature on operating systems. The presenter, a technology enthusiast, said at the beginning of the feature "I didn't know that there was more than one OS". The Apple option is never mentioned in newspaper articles aimed at helping consumers choose computers, or in articles about viruses.

Apple need to advertise a lot more.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:

Yes, but not directly. Stores are a great way of creating mindshare, and can be used to hook uncertain customers who like to try out the computers before buying, even if he buys it elsewhere later.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

Yes, but not directly. Stores are a great way of creating mindshare, and can be used to hook uncertain customers who like to try out the computers before buying, even if he buys it elsewhere later.

Well said.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Because he has a really valid point?

If you just open like 50 stores in Ireland, and then realize "oops! Ireland's the only one who buys any of our stuff in Ireland," you've just blown a billions of dollars.

Huh? You need to get out more. Out of the states more.. The other guys who just commented get me.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

That is very true but as I said earlier, they don't need to be flagship stores. I was able to try out some Macs in PCWorld, which as the name suggests caters mainly to PC users. They had Macbooks, ipods, iMacs, MBPs all beside standard PCs.

In some ways I think that's better because it gives people a good comparison of what's on offer on all sides so they can judge the difference better.

The only downside is that PC people tend to be a bit annoying and deliberately show the Macs in a bad light and so have ones that have kernel panicked on display or they put low amounts of Ram in. But if that can be made to change then it'll all be good.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    I agree that Apple should be nicer to Europe, especially after the EU fined microsoft hundreds of millions for packaging explorer with windows, and turned a blind eye to safarti in OSX.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

the EU fined microsoft hundreds of millions for packaging explorer with windows, and turned a blind eye to safarti in OSX.

There was no "turning a blind eye". The reason that Microsoft tightly integrating a web browser into their operating was illegal was that it was an abuse of their monopoly power. Having a monopoly is not illegal, put using the power that that monopoly gives you in order to build a monopoly in another market, is.

Apple don't have a monopoly in the OS market, so they've nothing to abuse. On top of that, it is much easier to remove Safari from OS X than it is Internet Explorer from Windows.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

There was no "turning a blind eye". The reason that Microsoft tightly integrating a web browser into their operating was illegal was that it was an abuse of their monopoly power. Having a monopoly is not illegal, put using the power that that monopoly gives you in order to build a monopoly in another market, is.

Apple don't have a monopoly in the OS market, so they've nothing to abuse. On top of that, it is much easier to remove Safari from OS X than it is Internet Explorer from Windows.

Hmm. I can't really get my head around that one. I remember removing Explorer no problem when I installed Netscape back in the late '90s. And it feels like the difference between OSX (which everyone who buys a mac gets) and Windows (which everyone who gets a PC gets) makes it hard to draw a line and call one a monopoly. I guess there's the market share thing, but it must suck to be a company in that situation. Imagine if Apple was dominating the market and couldn't include iLife, iTunes, Quicktime, Safari, GarageBand et al as integrated parts of their system without drawing fines...

Deep down, it feels like some European governments, as well as the EU are going for a cash grab, as well. It's not like the 600 million Euro fines are going to go into helping consumers make a transition to Linux, or increase competition...
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

Hmm. I can't really get my head around that one. I remember removing Explorer no problem when I installed Netscape back in the late '90s.

Well, it seems you found it easier than the U.S. prosecution expert witness.

Quote:

And it feels like the difference between OSX (which everyone who buys a mac gets) and Windows (which everyone who gets a PC gets) makes it hard to draw a line and call one a monopoly.

OS X, Linux, Windows, Novell, Solaris, BSD, Amiga OS etc. etc. are all part of the same market (computer operating systems), and Windows has the monopoly. There is no difficulty in drawing the line.

Quote:

I guess there's the market share thing, but it must suck to be a company in that situation.

Oh yeah! It must suck so much! "We've got a monopoly in an absolutely massive worldwide market - boo hoo for us"

Quote:

Imagine if Apple was dominating the market and couldn't include iLife, iTunes, Quicktime, Safari, GarageBand et al as integrated parts of their system without drawing fines...

Apple need to include those things in order to give their OS a competitive edge. If the Windows/Apple market share were more like 50/50, they wouldn't need to do that, and maybe we'd actually see some competition for those applications on our platform, which, you know, might be a good thing.

Quote:

Deep down, it feels like some European governments, as well as the EU are going for a cash grab, as well. It's not like the 600 million Euro fines are going to go into helping consumers make a transition to Linux, or increase competition...

Don't try and turn this in to a Europe-only thing - Microsoft were taken to court in the U.S. first, remember? And they are being investigated in Japan and I believe Australia and a few other countries as well.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    We don't have an official Apple store in Zurich either, but who cares?

As far as I know there will be one in 2007 or 08 but I think the "inoffical" ones are much more customer-friendly.

I don't think an offical apple store would have unpacked a 30" in front of me and would let me test it for over 30 minutes...
  • Reply 53 of 53
    in melbourne alone there are a good 5/6 apple exclusive stores... if an 'innovative' official apple store were to open here it would most definately work. and also. wouldnt the itunes movie business's only hurdle be licencing agreements with the studios? im sure jobs+ co would love to sell their goods in as many places as possible