Photokina event over: No macbook pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    lame. there better be a total redesign coming. this is blue balls at it's worst.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

You're right. My dissapointment was just too big, and I had to let it go.

Yes its quite an interesting phenomena on these internet boards how people will build up expectation that Apple will do something that Apple has not actually promised to do.

Such as the supposed "true" video iPod. People made these mock ups expecting Apple to release a product like that. When Apple didn't they were all disappointed. The funny thing about that full screen video iPod is that no one took into consideration if that was even a realistically viable product.

Quote:

It would be nice if you're right about Apple fixing bugs as well as upgrading the cpu.

Its been found in reality that Apple laptop failure rate is not significantly different from any other manufacturer. Laptops are complex machines and every manufacturer has some type of problems with them.

Apple aggressively markets its brand on quality. So when something goes wrong more people complain. But in the long run I think its good to hold Apple to high standards as long as people keep their expectations realistic.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    I can actually say I did not honestly expect to come online tonight to find the new Merom MBP avaliable for shipping. While Photokina seemed the "ideal" event for the updated laptop to be launched it really was stretching out our wants and needs a bit far.

So now the game starts when everyone starts new predictions for the next possible date of when we will see the revised MBP. May I?

How about the MacExpo in London mid-October? What a real f**king pain in the arse this all is. I have waited and waited and I am really annoyed
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tartansparkle

So now the game starts when everyone starts new predictions for the next possible date of when we will see the revised MBP. May I?

How about the MacExpo in London mid-October?

No, you can't officially predict until Placebo or Sunilraman have the official prediction with a:

OMG OCT 17 OMG
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Hey - get used to not having the top-of the line when it comes to Intel on Mac. Intel has already announced the next Xeon line to be coming out in less than 3 months. Apple would be hard-pressed to constantly have top-of-the-line chips in their computers, which would entail revisions, however minor, to all of their lines at least twice as frequently as in the past. That would mean needing to be able to estimate production and shipping numbers on a much more accurate level than they do now, and open up the risk of lower profit margins, which is the most important thing to them.

And they can do this, because most people don't care that much about top of the line processors.

Honestly - how many of you will order a PC instead, just so you can get the new Merom? Now, if Dells were a bit smaller and a lot prettier, maybe that would be the case, but they're not, so we'll all wait until late November.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Honestly - how many of you will order a PC instead, just so you can get the new Merom? Now, if Dells were a bit smaller and a lot prettier, maybe that would be the case, but they're not, so we'll all wait until late November.

Good point. They know we'll wait. Would be a different case though if OS X ran on anything other than an Apple...
  • Reply 27 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Hey - get used to not having the top-of the line when it comes to Intel on Mac

We were already used to that with IBM and Motorola. They were extremely slow to update the PowerPC processors Macs needed to stay competitive.

Intel will deliver constant improvements that Apple will be free to use as it deems needed.

In this circumstance it appears Merom is being rationed. Currently Apple is able to meet its laptop sales with Yonah. Why disrupt that up with a strained Merom supply causing a back log for customers.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    [edit]

forget it, I was whining about whining
  • Reply 29 of 48
    anyone know what the new xeon is named and what the specs are? i'm referring to the one superbass referred to, that's supposedly coming out in the next few months.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Why the hell would Apple care if the orders are backlogged.... What matters is that the get the orders which they are losing out on by waiting so f-ing long. Release the f-ing things and let people que it up so you at least let them know that they will be getting them sometime before they die.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Apple doesn't do that. This is hardly new news.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheep

lame. there better be a total redesign coming. this is blue balls at it's worst.

Another classic.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felin

Why the hell would Apple care if the orders are backlogged.... What matters is that the get the orders which they are losing out on by waiting so f-ing long. Release the f-ing things and let people que it up so you at least let them know that they will be getting them sometime before they die.

Because they don't get any money until the orders are fulfilled, numbnuts.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Shipping? Or just up for pre-order? All I've seen so far is the latter.

Best Buy in my area is advertising them in their newspaper flyer. I'm assuming you can walk in and plunk down your money and walk out with one. BTW prices range from $999 for a Gateway to $1999 for a Sony.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Dells's expected ship date was 28th for C2D in their hideous XPS, if that helps.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai51240

Because they don't get any money until the orders are fulfilled, numbnuts.

Annnndddd they are getting money now?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felin

Annnndddd they are getting money now?

Apparently, yes. Believe it or not, Apple isn't run by bumpkins--if orders were to dry up, Apple would put the C2D MBP out for pre-order, if nothing else.

But let's face it--the Core Duo is going to do for most people what they need; C2D offers some improvements, to be sure, but at this point it only attracts people like us, the relatively small (albeit vocal) minority that likes to be on the bleeding edge.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Yea, i was playing around with the new sony C2D at Circuit City a few days ago. Could of bought it on the spot. But that isnt the point, i dont want that.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    only reason i want c2d is for 64 bit in leopard
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnbpr

only reason i want c2d is for 64 bit in leopard

that's just silly