Apple offers sneak peek of new .Mac webmail

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    for me .mac has been about the syncing just as much as it has been about the email and other tools. Its the reason I still use Safari over Firefox. I have 3 computers (desktop at home, laptop on the road and desktop at work) I love being able to add a bookmark, change my calander, add a contact to address book and read my email on one computer and have it automatically reflected on my other computers the next time i use them. That for me had been the reason I keep paying for .mac
  • Reply 22 of 45
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................

or one could actually use my space... .mac should be free!

Are you talking about MySpace?

I remember seeing MySpace about a year and a half back and thinking it looked like a piece of crap. Now everyone talks about it and uses it. And I still think it looks and navigates like a piece of crap.

I guess everyone is used to using ugly, cluttered, Windows applications written as quickly and shoddily as possible just to make a quick buck, and so MySpace just blends right in. But personally, my eyes bleed every time I see a MySpace profile page. No thanks...

I'd just use Gmail if I didn't have my own domain hosting service (which costs me less than a .Mac account).
  • Reply 23 of 45
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It's a woman.

In a bikini.

Showing some skin.

BIG

DEAL.

I'd tap that.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Yup MySpace looks like a piece of crap. People accuse software developers of having bad taste, well MySpace goes to show that it is more wide spread than that, even extending to people who think they have fashion sense.

Judging by the screen shot the new web based mail clients looks good. I even suspect it uses AJAX
  • Reply 25 of 45
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    A MySpace page looks like a teenager's bedroom floor - that's why it is so popular.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Considering how poor Safari's AJAX support is (see what happens when you use gmail with it), I was thinking that maybe the Safari updates in 10.4.8 are also about that. What I'm really curious about, though, is the improvements in Mail and iCal ? maybe they could be related to improvements in .Mac. If so, I really hope they are more than some under-the-hood fixes...
  • Reply 27 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I don't know if you could really say that Gmail "works well." I've been incredibly screwed over twice now by Google just *not* delivering mail and losing it entirely—once ingoing and once outgoing (screwed over as in losing out on a really fucking amazing job, for example).

I've just started to tell people that I'm switching to mac.com, which makes this a welcome surprise.

I think you might be the victim of an unfortunate circumstance, but I don't think it's very common. I've used Gmail for over a year and a half and I don't think it has ever lost an email on me. Heck, I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else and I know a lot of Gmail users.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

I'm giving you one more year .Mac.

I, too, have said this the past couple years. The thing that bites me everytime is getting the 30 day reminder (which I got a couple weeks ago) and not actually begin moving my e-mail to a new account. I like my .mac e-mail, and can't get it on g-mail, aol mail, hotmail, etc.

But I have begun to have mail.app pull down my gmail, so the switch may be on over the next 13 months....
  • Reply 29 of 45
    The best "upgrade" would be cutting the price by $50. $99 is too much in this world of free email and web hosting services.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    too little too late..

Gmail owns my soul

If I could only find a way to Sync my multiple Macs (keychain, bookmarks, address book) as we well as my Cell Phone.

Then.. then gooooood bye 99$ tax
  • Reply 31 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO

too little too late..

Gmail owns my soul

If I could only find a way to Sync my multiple Macs (keychain, bookmarks, address book) as we well as my Cell Phone.

Then.. then gooooood bye 99$ tax

"too little too late.." Damn right!

You can sync those, I only have one Mac so I don't need to, but I know there's an open source solution.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I'd tap that.

I second.

But isn't she a bit old for you? (And for me as well...)
  • Reply 33 of 45
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Like a REAL Homepage.

I think you're missing the point here. As far as I can tell the .Mac service including their tight integration with iLife is targeted at a basic/consumer user. It's not as if they're trying to offer a replacement for regular web hosting.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas

Yup MySpace looks like a piece of crap. People accuse software developers of having bad taste, well MySpace goes to show that it is more wide spread than that, even extending to people who think they have fashion sense.

Have you ever used Myspace.com? No, it's certainly not a replacement for a regular email account but it does offer a lot of benefits for music or comedy artists who a) want to expand their fan base easily online with minimal investment and b) allow interaction with others without giving out a primary email address or other contact info.

Yes - it's an awful interface and seldom works as desired.. but it does accomplish a task and until something better comes along with as big of a user base.. no harm in benefiting from it.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O

.mac clearly is in its infancy.

I have to disagree with this.

iTools was introduced in Jan. of 2000. Webmail, Homepage, iDisk, Postcards, etc.

Other than facelifts and an occasional feature added, very little has changed in 6.5 years.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I'd tap that.

Her boobs?
  • Reply 37 of 45
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

Her boobs?

You have got much to learn dacloo.

"I'd tap that" is a term used to express approval, especially to the point of expressing a person's sex appeal.

On a more literal interpretation "tapping that" it is having sexual intercourse.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Sooo... I wonder if Apple updating .Mac services will extend beyond the e-mailing page and if it will coincide with the .Mac SDK 2.0 hopefully, finally leaving beta after a year and a half.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Well it would be nice if they created a web-based iCal.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    My .Mac services have been down for the last 30 minutes now. The only thing I can access is my website and THAT is SUPER slow. GRRRRRR!

I hope this means the unveiling of the new features will be today.