Adobe Apps of Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Several of the applications I use (dreamweaver, photoshop, flash, illustrator, excel, etc.) are not universal yet.

Does anyone have a MacPro that had a Quad G5? How does the speed of those applications compare?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I have both a G5 Quad G5 and a Mac Pro – and the only software I run is CS2 so hopefully I can help you out here!

Forget the Mac Pro and get a G5 Quad. The Quad is faster and way more stable.

10.4.8 didn't make the Mac Pro any more stable so it's going back next week!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

I have both a G5 Quad G5 and a Mac Pro – and the only software I run is CS2 so hopefully I can help you out here!

Forget the Mac Pro and get a G5 Quad. The Quad is faster and way more stable.

10.4.8 didn't make the Mac Pro any more stable so it's going back next week!

I have a Mac Pro and a Dual 2.7 G5. My Mac Pro performance is significantly better after doing the 10.4.8 Combo updater. Aperture 1.5 is much faster and so is Adobe CS/CS2. I haven't had any stability issues with my Mac Pro from day one.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scout7id

I have a Mac Pro and a Dual 2.7 G5. My Mac Pro performance is significantly better after doing the 10.4.8 Combo updater. Aperture 1.5 is much faster and so is Adobe CS/CS2. I haven't had any stability issues with my Mac Pro from day one.

Just out of interest, which is faster running CS2 – the Dual 2.7 or the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Just out of interest, which is faster running CS2 – the Dual 2.7 or the Mac Pro?

This isn't scientific, mind you, but it feels like the Mac Pro is just a *little* slower than the Dual 2.7. The 2.7 has 6GB of RAM and the Mac Pro has 4GB. The G5 feels downright snappy and the Mac Pro doesn't feel as fast but not sluggish by any stretch. When I get a chance I'll do some time testing of a couple workflows that I use on a consistent basis.

edit: I can tell you that working in CS2 (Photoshop) this evening that Rosetta is no longer leaking mmory like a sieve. It is much more memory effecient.