Will you get the Apple cellphone if they make one and it comes out?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Look at topic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Exactly how are we supposed to answer this?

SAN FRANCISCO Sept 30th 2006 (Newswire) - Apple Computer Inc announced today its new "iCell" cellphone. Available exclusively on Cingular, the phone can store up to 1,000 songs from Apple's iTunes Store. The phone has no camera, and costs just $400.

SAN FRANCISCO Sept 30th 2006 (Newswire) - Apple Computer Inc announced today its new "iCell" cellphone. Available exclusively on Sprint, the phone can store up to 1,000 songs from Apple's iTunes Store. The phone has a built in video camera, and costs just $400.

SAN FRANCISCO Sept 30th 2006 (Newswire) - Apple Computer Inc announced today its new "iCell" cellphone. Available exclusively on T-Mobile, the phone can store up to 10,000 songs on a built-in hard disk drive, from Apple's iTunes Store. The phone has no camera, and costs just $500.

SAN FRANCISCO Sept 30th 2006 (Newswire) - Apple Computer Inc announced today its new "Mobile Me" cellphone service, and a variety of mobile phones. The service, which uses Cingular and T-Mobile's GSM networks, gives users a large bucket of bundled minutes, and allows access to up to 1,000 songs from the iTunes Store per month, streamed in real time to the user's phone. The service costs $100 a month, and requires a two year contract and purchase and use of a special Apple-designed "iCell" mobile phone.

SAN FRANCISCO Sept 30th 2006 (Newswire) - Apple Computer Inc announced today its new "Mobile Me" cellphone service, and a variety of mobile phones. The service, which uses Cingular's UMTS networks, provides not just a range of simplied talk plans, but wireless access to the iTunes Store for music and movie downloads. Three Apple designed and manufactured "iCell" phones are provided, the $100 iCell nano, a phone capable of storing up to 1,000 songs, the $300 iCell Pod, capable of storing up to 10,000 songs or 80 movies, and the $500 iCell Mega, capable of storing 20,000 songs and streaming high definition movies to an 'iTV' set top box. Analysts welcomed the news, though pointed out Cingular's UMTS service is only available in some major cities.

...etc...etc.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    negative
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I'm going to be highly disappointed with the specs of Mobile Me but I'll probably get a Rev A one anyhow. It'll probably have much lower specs than we'd all like it to have (VGA camera, 1Gb memory, no slot, etc etc.

It's still got to be better than having a Windows Mobile "Smart"phone although so if it's here in April 07 when my contract expires I'm there!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    If it's good then maybe. It has to be better than my Sony Ericsson k800i and the next phone I'm considering - Nokia N95 which looks amazing.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azn_laxer8

Look at topic

yes - er I mean no - what was the question?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Yes, yes..well, yes.

Ofcourse, yes.

Would you like some tea with that ?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azn_laxer8

Look at topic

I refuse to look! You can't make me!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Besides... I just bought one of these a few weeks ago:

An i-Mate Smartflip. It's not perfect, it runs Windows (gaaackk!) Mobile 5.0, but it's a damn nice phone.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    So, give me $50,000.

I will find the ugliest mobile phone ever. Maybe that horrible Qualcomm one that was marketed at the time as being thin, that had big green and red buttons. We'll give it a paint job, and slap an Apple logo on it.

Then we'll gut it. We'll put in a small colour PDA with bluetooth and a microphone. Or something like that. Hook up the keys. And put in an "iPod" like UI that uses the arrow keys instead of a scroll wheel. A few MP3s.

We'll implement the bluetooth and software on the phone so it looks like a cellphone but is actually routing calls via another nearby cellphone, which can be hidden away in a pocket somewhere. This bit is actually easy.

Finally, we'll sneak a Steve Jobs lookalike into the January MWSF show. He'll tap on the shoulder of some idle journalists and bloggers, wink, and motion towards an empty room. We'll "demonstrate" the phone. It'll look perfect, they'll even be able to call their bosses on it. The only thing is... it's that ugly Qualcomm design, not an Apple look. But our "Steve Jobs" will pretend it's outstanding anyway, and that it's the most beautiful phone ever designed. He'll even point at the glarish red and green buttons and point out how intuitive the design is.

And we'll tell people the phone is released in February, but the information is embargoed until the official announcement. With that, we'll leave. And wait. And see what appears in the press...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Given that it works with sprint, yeah I'd probably buy one.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Nope.

Just got my SE K800i, which is brilliant. Apple would have to show something breathtakingly superior for me to switch. And besides: whatever they'll do, it will be US-only anyway, and therefore of no consequence to me.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    no, i just got a motorola v710 and it works well. no dropped calls, good sound, camera, mini sd card input, shiny screen, bluetooth. i love it. battery life could improve though.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I will get one if it runs on an EVDO network or better. In other words, if Apple goes with Sprint I'll buy. If they set up their own network that leases cells from Sprint and/or Verizon, that would also be fine. Anything else, no deal.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

no, i just got a motorola v710 and it works well...

I had one of those and loved it. I just this past Friday got a new KRZR K1m because of "new every 2". I'd get an iPhone if it was out, but I could grow old(er) and die waiting for it...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I've never had a cellphone, and it's possible that Apple making one would be the right time. But obviously I'd want to see the specifics and the reviews. This would be a new product for Apple, and so I wouldn't count on it being competitive with everything that's out there already.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    nakneknaknek Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I've never had a cellphone, and it's possible that Apple making one would be the right time. But obviously I'd want to see the specifics and the reviews. This would be a new product for Apple, and so I wouldn't count on it being competitive with everything that's out there already.

If I can use it with Sprint and it's at least as functional as my Treo 650, I'd consider it.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    If apple could make me a silver (but alu mbp colour) sony ericsson Z710 with all the same features the phone has but using some sort of OSX mobile with addressbox, ical and mail intergration(or auto syncing or something) and could download itunes games (and came with a few free ones) I'd be set.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...=pp1&pid=10466

If apple doesn't release a phone before christmas that ericsson might be the phone I end up with, because I can't wait anymore and my old Z600 is dying and I'm soon reaching my breaking point.

• Reply 18 of 21
    ibangibang Posts: 5member
    If it's OS is up to the same usability standards as the rest of Apple's products...definitely.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No.......
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Sure as long as it has bluetooth, 2.0+ megapixel camera/video, basic alarm/calendar/games/recorder/customization options, looks great, isn't a flip-phone, and ofcourse it will have to play mp3s and videos with itunes and have atleast 4gb memory. ( although realistically should have 8gb )

oh and as long as it didn't cost more than $150 with a 2 year contract.

otherwise..