Vista RC-1 and Bootcamp

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone here attempted to install Vista RC-1 with Bootcamp on their Intel Macs? I will be receiving a Mac mini in about a week and plan on installing it. Just curious if it's really buggy or at least usable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro 2.0. I've actually spent more time in Vista over the last week then OS X. The only things that have gone wrong have dealt with Apple's drivers. The ATI graphics drivers don't work in Vista and will cause the system to BSOD (not the OS's fault). Also, the drivers that control setting the clock, starting the screen saver, etc don't work. My system got a 4.3 in the Windows Performance Index (out of 5). Everything was rated 4.7 or 4.8 except the video card, which was 4.3. Best Windows I've ever used.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter

Runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro 2.0. I've actually spent more time in Vista over the last week then OS X. The only things that have gone wrong have dealt with Apple's drivers. The ATI graphics drivers don't work in Vista and will cause the system to BSOD (not the OS's fault). Also, the drivers that control setting the clock, starting the screen saver, etc don't work. My system got a 4.3 in the Windows Performance Index (out of 5). Everything was rated 4.7 or 4.8 except the video card, which was 4.3. Best Windows I've ever used.

Wow, I am honestly surprised, especially with everything I have heard about Vista and how buggy and crashy it was/is.

-iGrant
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Well, you have to account for a million different hardware setups with Windows. It works fine for me, but someone running it on their home built PC may have a million issues. I also ran a couple of earlier betas, and they were pretty awful. RC1 is the first and only version I would run seriously. You have to be careful about where you get your information from anyway... Mac sites are only going to point out the flaws, and there is a lot more right in Vista then there is wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter

Well, you have to account for a million different hardware setups with Windows. It works fine for me, but someone running it on their home built PC may have a million issues. I also ran a couple of earlier betas, and they were pretty awful. RC1 is the first and only version I would run seriously. You have to be careful about where you get your information from anyway... Mac sites are only going to point out the flaws, and there is a lot more right in Vista then there is wrong.

Actually everything I heard mostly was from Windows Beta testers here at my University. I know Mac's site are going to point out the flaws, but I was hereing this from the most hardcore Window's you can meet.

-iGrant
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Well, I will be getting a Mac mini soon and was thinking of installing Vista RC-1 on it instead of XP. Think the mini can handle it?

On a side note, my wife has many games (not too GPU-intensive like roller coaster tycoon for example). Will these be playable on Vista RC-1 or is anything that requires too much from the graphics card just buggy?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have RC1 on my MBP. I installed F.E.A.R, it came up and ran. Went through the opening cut-scenes. But once the actual gameplay started, the screen was black. I could hear the game still going, but with a black screen.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty

Well, I will be getting a Mac mini soon and was thinking of installing Vista RC-1 on it instead of XP. Think the mini can handle it?

On a side note, my wife has many games (not too GPU-intensive like roller coaster tycoon for example). Will these be playable on Vista RC-1 or is anything that requires too much from the graphics card just buggy?

I tried it on a Core Duo Mini, and it was sloooow. Granted I used Beta 2, but it was amazingly slow. It was so unbearable I wouldn't even dare install it in my Core Solo.

I plan on downloading RC1 later this week, so I can get back on that.

Just don't expect anything amazing from Vista on IG.

If you want to play RC Tycoon, you might want to try CrossOver Mac, It should be able to run it.

Good Luck,

Noah
  • Reply 8 of 9
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93

I tried it on a Core Duo Mini, and it was sloooow. Granted I used Beta 2, but it was amazingly slow. It was so unbearable I wouldn't even dare install it in my Core Solo.

I plan on downloading RC1 later this week, so I can get back on that.

Just don't expect anything amazing from Vista on IG.

If you want to play RC Tycoon, you might want to try CrossOver Mac, It should be able to run it.

Good Luck,

Noah

Vista RC1 is much faster than Vista Beta, alot faster from what I have seen and used myself!

*EDIT* not that I am a huge fan of Vista or anything, but when credit is desired I give . . . sometimes *edit*
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well, I installed Vista RC-2 on my Mac mini and everything went smooth.