PC2600 vs PC2700 SDRAM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My new MDD Powermac hardware profile says that the current RAM is PC2600 memory, but all of the Memory places have the new MDD Powermacs listed as having PC2700 Memory.

Do I have to buy PC2600 memory to be compatable with the memory I already have ?

If so, what do I order since retailers seem to sell RAM by the system type ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    That's weird; the tech specs claim it uses PC2700. Probably a typo in system profiler.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 5
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    system profiler never mentions anything like pc-2600 or pc-2700.

apart from that, there is no such thing as pc-2600 ddr-sdram.

you'll be fine with 2700.

g-news
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    either way apple is still screwing with your by making you buy expensive ddr ram when the g4's bus isnt as fast. oh well. mm i alwasy thought that u can use older stuff in new machines but not newer ram than your computer can handle? like pc100 and pc133
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    [quote]Originally posted by dvd:

<strong>i alwasy thought that u can use older stuff in new machines but not newer ram than your computer can handle?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's the other way; you can use faster RAM in an old machine as long as it's the same type.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf

It's the other way; you can use faster RAM in an old machine as long as it's the same type.

Some older G4 models, like the PCI, AGP and the Gigabit Ethernet, will sometimes have problems if you install PC133 RAM. They're best off with PC100 RAM. If all you have is PC133 RAM, then these models will often work reliably with just PC133 RAM, though not always. The worst combination in these models is a mix of PC100 and PC133. If you do use any PC133 RAM, run Memtest to see what it says. Sometimes, over time, PC133 RAM will drift just enough so that it no longer works reliably in these older Mac models--Memtest often catches these problems.