Aperture. WOW.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

It does tell it all. 280 MB? Oh god, that's really making a dent in your RAM

That's too much for an app that's just sitting idly. Did you notice any editing on the pic? That's right, you didn't, because there wasn't any.

Quote:

You're using a quarter of the amount of RAM that you're positing as being "insufficient."

Well yes, because as you may or may not be aware, the OS must run too, and that requires some RAM too.

Quote:

So, I'm going to stick with my previous assumptions about you: you argue with everything, even if you prove yourself wrong in the process.

Are you gonna stick with your '80MB of RAM' assumptions too? I hear those are popular too. Just look at that pic.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Picked up Aperture 1.5 in Fukuoka, Japan, yesterday at the Apple Store. Will start putting it to use this weekend, but so far it seems to work alright on my Dual Core 2.0 G5, even with iTunes running and several other apps open on 2Gb RAM.

The really odd part of this story is that the Apple Store (telephone store) said Aperture would not be available for another 5-6 weeks in Japan, and Apple'S Japan website store shows the same. Apple Japan runs the online and teleorder stores; Apple USA runs the walk-in stores. It is just amazing at tthe diffference between the two in service, prooduct availability and general warm fuzziness.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Gave Aperture a first run tonight... it is great; far better than the freeware from Canon that shipped with my camera.

As for speed, I found most functions very responsive. Occasionally, loading a new image took some time, but it was still not a problem. I have a dual core 2.0 G5 with 2GB RAM and have iTunes running in the background (yes, got it running again).

One thing with Aperture: I need to use the adjust sharpness tools on almost every image, but there seems to be no way to keep this tool panel in the adjustments panel; I have to reopen it every time, which is a bit of a pain.