Apple's Jobs slams Zune, says player poses no concern

Comments

• Reply 101 of 155
    If the Zune will H.264 or whatever it is, do you think it will play movies that you converted to play on an iPod?

If it did that would make it a lot easier to get video on a Zune, as so many programmes offer iPod video formatting options.

Anyone got any idea?
  • Reply 102 of 155
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigboyfatcat

If the Zune will H.264 or whatever it is, do you think it will play movies that you converted to play on an iPod?

If it did that would make it a lot easier to get video on a Zune, as so many programmes offer iPod video formatting options.

Anyone got any idea?

As long as it meets the spec's for size, and datarate, Apple has set down, sure.
  • Reply 103 of 155
    Steve Jobs always makes for an interesting interview - I really like that about him.

I think his earbud-sharing comment was off-the-cuff.

I'm pretty sure though, that if you surveyed 100 random girls out there, you'd find that very close to 100 would rather you Wi-Fi'd a song to them than having you insert your used earbud into their ear..!

That's not Zune vs iPod... that's just hygiene folks.

frabgod

http://www.zunerama.com
  • Reply 104 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frabgod

Steve Jobs always makes for an interesting interview - I really like that about him.

I'm pretty sure though, that if you surveyed 100 random girls out there, you'd find that very close to 100 would rather you Wi-Fi'd a song to them than having you insert your used earbud into their ear..!

frabgod

No. Sharing earbuds is amazingly common. My daughter and her friends do it all the time, even when they are walking.

That's why MS has the WiFi. They think that it will one up the popularity of earbud sharing.
  • Reply 105 of 155
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

frabgod

Great, another astroturfer. Jeez, I just hope they aren't cloning these guys, Boys from Brasil style, from Ballmer's DNA. If you can't get the girl to put your earbud in her ear, you probably don't have a chance with her anyway. I hate to break it to you, but real sex is nasty and unhygienic. Most of us don't come from a test tube.
  • Reply 106 of 155
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

frabgod

I share earbuds with friends all the time, and people I've just met if we're talking about music or something. It's a great way to share music - and so much faster and easier than the Zune method. Imagine you had a song on your phone - if your friend wanted to hear it you'd play it rather than bluetoothing it.
  • Reply 107 of 155
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I think Steve's comments are very irresponsible. With the announcement of the Anti-AIDS iPod RED nano, we should be teaching our kids about safe physical practices. Starting with not sharing earbuds, using toilet seat paper protectors, and such. You may think it's obsessive paranoia, but if we inculcate these values in pre-teens, say those 6-13 years old, by the time they're 14 and above they'll be doing all sorts of nasty sexy stuff - but at least they'll then think more about doing those dirty dirty things in a fun yet safe and responsible manner. (I was going to say something about rimming but I'll hold off for now). 8)

Practice SAFE IPOD USE EVERYBODY -

IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY!

SAFE IPOD USE LEADS TO SAFE SEX.
  • Reply 108 of 155
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Practice SAFE IPOD USE EVERYBODY - IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY.

Fantastic
  • Reply 109 of 155
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

You do realise that we have people from all around the world on this forum?

We will shortly be reaching 8 billion people in the world (13 years from now, in 2020).

http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop

I can certainly see 500 million playing in 15 years (2022). That would be less than one sixteenth of the population, less than 6%,at the time.

Eventually, there could very easily be far more than that playing.

After all, there are billions who watch Tv now, and billions who will shortly be on the internet.

Games won't be what they are today at all.

There are alot of people in the world, but i seriously doubt in 15 years 5% of the entire globe will be paying to play computer games monthly.
  • Reply 110 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

There are alot of people in the world, but i seriously doubt in 15 years 5% of the entire globe will be paying to play computer games monthly.

I don't. Games will be much more immersive than they are now. More people will have access to them. More people will have grown up with the notion of them. You will be able to play from more types of devices, possibly even your phone. High speed over the air data connections will be available almost everywhere.

We are also changing out leisure time habits.

15 years ago, no one would have believed that so many people would be spending so much time on the internet either. But we are.
  • Reply 111 of 155
    Paid online gaming across multiple kinds of devices, 500 million people out of 8 billion in 2022 is probably an underestimate. In 15 years, by golly, 1/3 of the people in the world will be almost permanently connected to the 2022 version of the Internet.

Remember that 10 years ago, 1996 -- how few people were online and how unheard of "web pages" were.

Remember the Indian and Chinese push into the online arena. Blanket wireless Internet coverage across major metropolitan areas around the world. Pretty much the digital divide will still be there in 2022, mostly in Africa and 3rd-worlds-in-1st-world-countries kind of situations. Of course, also the Indian and Chinese populations are huge as well so online penetration will still be a growth area in 2022.

Geez, 15 years down the line? I have no fracking clue where I'll even be the middle of next year. I've pretty much lived in (at least 1 year at a stretch), let's see, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, San Francisco - that's 6 cities over the course of about 15 years.

Frack me in 2022 you can take a scramjet from San Francisco to London in like 2.5 hours or something like that. China would have a manned landing on the moon. China might even have made it to Mars and set up a colony (8-month-rotating-crew) there before the USA.
  • Reply 112 of 155
    Quote:

Paid online gaming across multiple kinds of devices, 500 million people out of 8 billion in 2022 is probably an underestimate. In 15 years, by golly, 1/3 of the people in the world will be almost permanently connected to the 2022 version of the Internet.

Remember that 10 years ago, 1996 -- how few people were online and how unheard of "web pages" were.

Remember the Indian and Chinese push into the online arena. Blanket wireless Internet coverage across major metropolitan areas around the world. Pretty much the digital divide will still be there in 2022, mostly in Africa and 3rd-worlds-in-1st-world-countries kind of situations. Of course, also the Indian and Chinese populations are huge as well so online penetration will still be a growth area in 2022.

Geez, 15 years down the line? I have no fracking clue where I'll even be the middle of next year. I've pretty much lived in (at least 1 year at a stretch), let's see, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, San Francisco - that's 6 cities over the course of about 15 years.

Frack me in 2022 you can take a scramjet from San Francisco to London in like 2.5 hours or something like that. China would have a manned landing on the moon. China might even have made it to Mars and set up a colony (8-month-rotating-crew) there before the USA.

Yeah, most things, except for Mars.
  • Reply 113 of 155
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I'm skeptical that scramjet can be commercially practical. It takes significant energy to go that fast, and it's not as if fuel costs have been dropping lately. IIRC, Concorde was that fast from NYC to Europe and costed something like $10k per passenger trip. The companies that built the Concorde lost significant money making them.

Mars may be technically possible, but it takes a significant will to expend what may be a trillion or more dollars for a Mars program.
  • Reply 114 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I'm skeptical that scramjet can be commercially practical. It takes significant energy to go that fast, and it's not as if fuel costs have been dropping lately. IIRC, Concorde was that fast from NYC to Europe and costed something like $10k per passenger trip. The companies that built the Concorde lost significant money making them.

Mars may be technically possible, but it takes a significant will to expend what may be a trillion or more dollars for a Mars program.

Scramjets aren't the last word here.

The Concord was a bad plane all around. It was much too small to pay for itself.

The US plane designs were much better. But without the clearances at many inland ariports, it didn't pay to build them either.

The Boeing was a much better design. It went much faster, and held almost 100 people more than the Concord.

But, the Concord was a matter of pride, and getting the European aerospace companies work, than it was to have a real commercial venture. Without Concord, AirBus likely wouldn't exist today.
  • Reply 115 of 155
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Yeah and we'll all be using jetpacks and eating steak dinners in tiny capsules!

Sure India and China will be huge and the internet will grow huger and games will evolve into a multitude of ways, but I will bet my TiBook that 5% of the population will NOT be paying to play games online. Yes, pay for internet phone, internet video, internet audio, and maybe games will also be there, but games are not what drives the rest of the world outside these forums.

I've lived in India and China and they have and will have other things to do and spend money on.
  • Reply 116 of 155
    Quote:

Sure, all of you, laugh at my scramjet (or equivalent) stuff and Moon and Mars landings. 15 years is a massive time. If you think more than 60% of commercial major airlines in the world then will still be flying the usual kerosene Boeings and Airbuses (with the few tweaks being free Internet onboard and Soy-based options for espresso), think again.

Oh, and China is fracking SERIOUS about space exploration. They could very well whoop USA's ass on it big time. They won't be shy either about nuclear-powered elements of their Moon and Mars programs.

By 2025 there will be at least ONE dirty bomb nuke detonated in a major metro area in the world. It will be very tragic but mankind will march on living our lives as "normally" as possible. At least 1 out of every 3 people in developed countries will be on establishment psychiatric medication of some kind.

Well, enough Nostradamus-ing -- my comment on nukes and stuff probably is getting me flagged on all those Interpol, NSA, CIA, FBI databases. I HAVE A FILE PEOPLES!! w0000t!!!111one!!!111!!
  • Reply 117 of 155
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    The threat of nuclear terrorism will mean the death of large cities (which are just targets) once communication and transportation get fast and cheap enough (actually the two go hand in hand, as the new "white flight" from the cities will spur investment in transportation R&D).

I flew on the concord once, BTW, it was awesome. Super hot stewardesses fed us quail eggs while we reclined in our grey leather seats and watched the MACH-ometer on the bulkhead. Taking off was way faster than a regular airplane.
  • Reply 118 of 155
    Quote:

Sure India and China will be huge and the internet will grow huger and games will evolve into a multitude of ways, but I will bet my TiBook that 5% of the population will NOT be paying to play games online. Yes, pay for internet phone, internet video, internet audio, and maybe games will also be there, but games are not what drives the rest of the world outside these forums.

I've lived in India and China and they have and will have other things to do and spend money on.

It doesn't have to be 5% of that population. It could be less. It's the average over the planet's population that matters. Besides, there are now almost 100 million internet users in China, and that number is increasing at one of the highest rates in the world. The estimate is that there are 400 million middle class people in China now, and that number is growing as well.

Besides the number I gave was an estimate from the group that did the work. It could be less, or more.

Even if you don't want to believe that number in 15 years, look to 20 then. There will be almost 9 billion people

http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop

The point is that in some not too far in the future time, a half billion people will be playing online games. Not the games we play today, but totally immersive games with a virtual reality that will draw people in so that they will find it to be as though they are there.

I can certainly see that. I can also see some governments encouraging their people to do this so as to get their minds off their problems.

The way the Romans invented the games to get their people off their problems. Or the way some sports were created for the same purpose. In Briton, opera was used that way in the 19th century.
  • Reply 119 of 155
    Quote:

Sure, all of you, laugh at my scramjet (or equivalent) stuff and Moon and Mars landings. 15 years is a massive time. If you think more than 60% of commercial major airlines in the world then will still be flying the usual kerosene Boeings and Airbuses (with the few tweaks being free Internet onboard and Soy-based options for espresso), think again.

Oh, and China is fracking SERIOUS about space exploration. They could very well whoop USA's ass on it big time. They won't be shy either about nuclear-powered elements of their Moon and Mars programs.

By 2025 there will be at least ONE dirty bomb nuke detonated in a major metro area in the world. It will be very tragic but mankind will march on living our lives as "normally" as possible. At least 1 out of every 3 people in developed countries will be on establishment psychiatric medication of some kind.

Well, enough Nostradamus-ing -- my comment on nukes and stuff probably is getting me flagged on all those Interpol, NSA, CIA, FBI databases. I HAVE A FILE PEOPLES!! w0000t!!!111one!!!111!!

It's just Mars that I disagree with.

Until they solve the radiation problem, no one is going further than the moon.
  • Reply 120 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

...I flew on the concord once, BTW, it was awesome. Super hot stewardesses fed us quail eggs while we reclined in our grey leather seats and watched the MACH-ometer on the bulkhead. Taking off was way faster than a regular airplane...

Cool. 8)