Apple says firmware update solves MacBook shutdowns

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    I have not had problems with shutdown, but I have had other problems with my MacBook, granted they were all minor, but when I upgraded to the new firmware last night, it was like I had bought a brand new machine, the whole laptop runs better and I want to say it stays around 20-30 cooler, I never feel like the laptop gets too hot anymore.

This update was really a life saver for me. I upgraded to two gigs or ram yesterday and it helped but I still felt like something was missing and with this update I know do not have a problem running Mac OS X, Debian Linux with Parallels and Windows XP Pro with Parallels at the same time. This laptop just literally became my dream machine. The Ultimate machine in mobility and I can literally do what I want in what OS I want.

-iGrant
  • Reply 22 of 37
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    I have been on the road for the past two weeks. I started having the RSD problem about a week and a half before I left town, and I didn't want to travel without my computer, so I decided to wait until I returned. On this trip, I have been experiencing extreme problems to the point that this morning took 10 or 12 attempts plus with downtime waiting to boot my MacBook. I finally got it booted and downloaded the firmware upgrade and have been working without any problems for the last hour. fwiw, I could almost ensure that the MacBook would shutdown by starting up WinXP in Parallels, but now I have been running with it in the background.

Looks like Apple has found the fix. I had purchased my MacBook early in the summer and didn't have any problems until the 10.4.7 upgrade. Looks like Apple made have had some code that was incompatible between 10.4.7 and the earlier MacBook firmware. I hope this is the end of the problems so that I don't have to take the laptop back to the Apple Store.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    I've just installed the firmware update on my Week 41 Macbook even though I have never had any problems whatsoever. I really doubt that a firmware update can solve the RSS issue though....one thing I did notice (and this has already been mentioned on the Apple Discussions forum) is that the volume level when playing audio is higher. That alone was worth the update.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I sent my Shitbook back for this problem, third repair in 4 months. Took them 5 days to run the firmware update. Definite mounting frustration. Apple guy tries to sell me Applecare. Better to just consider it a total loss if there are any problems.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    my macbook has been perfect. should i still do update? people are saying there are other benifits. what are they? improved audio?

i hate to mess with success.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog

my macbook has been perfect. should i still do update? people are saying there are other benifits. what are they? improved audio?

i hate to mess with success.

Other updates, or upgrades later on may require this firmware update.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Hi, new member here. I'm quite curious, as I have been given an iMac G5 with 20" screen. It's a gorgeous machine, but exhibits the random shutdown thing. Would there possibly be a fix for this, do you think? Could it be the processor sensor issue at work perhaps.

Anyway, going to try that now.

Cheers
  • Reply 28 of 37
    I had no problems with my MacBook so far. Yesterday I installed the firmware update. Today I had at least four random shutdowns. What's the matter????
  • Reply 29 of 37
    jebjeb Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elbowgeek

Hi, new member here. I'm quite curious, as I have been given an iMac G5 with 20" screen. It's a gorgeous machine, but exhibits the random shutdown thing. Would there possibly be a fix for this, do you think? Could it be the processor sensor issue at work perhaps.

Anyway, going to try that now.

Cheers

Hey, something different . . . its the PMU . . . Power Management Unit inside the machine. I had Applecare send us a new one; replaced on my own. Warranty covered the part, about $130 . . . if you *dig* around the Apple Support - Discussions, you will find the instructions (.pdf) on how to repace it. Good luck!
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maxipeg

I had no problems with my MacBook so far. Yesterday I installed the firmware update. Today I had at least four random shutdowns. What's the matter????

Is this true?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Well, at least you have a girlfriend! I wonder how many others around here can say that.

I don't understand... who needs a girlfriend when you have a MacBook?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

I had been having the rss problem for over 2 months. Didn't send it for repair because I didn't have a HD to back up my data...

Shutdown always occurred after sleep. Resetting the power management or whatever (by holding the power button down until the indicator flashes quickly) always fixed the problem... until the next time my MacBook went to sleep.

The firmware fixed the problem 100%.

exactly the same problem with me, but, um, to reset the pmu you have to take the battery out and hold the power button for 5-7 seconds

just trying to help, even though the problems been sloved.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maxipeg

oh man, unlucky... if only we all had time machine to get rid of unwanted updates...
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

Well, whatever i was doing by holding the button down until it flashed... worked. If I restarted without holding the button down, no dice. It would shut off in seconds.

yeh well either way it worked from what im reading.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joey

I don't understand... who needs a girlfriend when you have a MacBook?

Well, if you don't know...