Who will get the 17" Powerbook?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    well my 800dvi is fine until rev b... but yes i want i want i want... my girlfriend is getting the micropb ... hmmmm that will be 5 powerbooks in our house... jeez

m2
  • Reply 22 of 49
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Why would anyone complain about having space around the keyboard? It's like having cup holders as standard equipment.

Anyway by next year with the color-changing mood lighting casing technology that Apple is preparing, the vast area around the keyboard may be as engrossing to stare at as the screen-saver.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    farfar Posts: 17member
    I'll get one after the next revision and kick off my Duron-PC.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I traded up to a Ti, from an iBook 1024x768. I still think the 1280x854 of the medium PowerBook is a bit confining. So I will eventually get the big book since I don't have a desktop computer (and never will again).
  • Reply 25 of 49
    College... this way I dont have to bring a desktop with me so i can see a full size monitor... plus isn't a light sensing fiber optic keyboard worth an extra $300 over the 15" TiBook???
  • Reply 26 of 49
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i think in college it would be much better to have a portable that is actually portable than one that is meant to be used at a desk.

i know i enjoyed having my powerbook with me and being able to use it in class, the libraries, labs, studios, outside etc

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i would love to get it if u could spot me
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I'm definitely gonna get it. I might have to move a few mountains here and there to earn the money, but it's definitely worth it for me. You see I do a lot of creative work (web design to video producing/editing - you name it I do it) and I go across the border (into Tijuana) at least twice a week and oddly enough mexican customs will charge taxes on anything except portables (go figure). Not to mention portability. I mean imagine having to carry an iMac or a tower and a 19" flat screen (or much worse: CRT) in and out of my Jeep...

So I couldn't ask for a greater miracle than the Lapzilla. Thank Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    If I fire three employees I can buy it this week.

If I fire two employees I can buy it this month.

If I fire one employee I can buy it for my birthday.

If I don't fire anybody I can only hope that my stocks go up enough to get it.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Sadly, my appetite for being an early adopter for Apple has declined with the state of the global economy and practical experience.

However, when they shoehorn a 970 into Lapzilla, along with 2GB of RAM, 120GB hard drive, slightly increase the resolution to 1600 x 1000, get the Superdrive to 4X (and stick a Memory Stick Pro - go to <a href="http://www.memorystick.com"; target="_blank">memorystick.com</a> for more info - slot in there for good measure) - I'll be there with some money that I've swindled out of little old ladies who think they're in investing in my new musical, provisionally titled "Teatime for Hussein"
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Firstly: sorry for the longness of this post.

We ordered the 15" tibook, simply because we had been planning to do so right after the keynote in case the ipod was updated. When the kongbook was introduced we both thought it looked like a dinosaur: too large and anabolic to avoid early extinction. Or perhaps Frankensteins monster with the tiny keyboard in an overgrown sea of aluminium.

But the same day we had to rethink. Earlier we thought about getting the imac17" because of the larger screen, but would really like to buy a portable computer. Then why should we not allow ourselves to buy the one computer in the world satisfying both demands?

To compare it to the 15" that some friends have we cut the kongbook's dimensions out of a cardboard box and tried it in all our bags and backpacks, and decided that for the amount of porting we would do, it would be portable enough. It isn't that much larger anyway.

The pros: larger screen, more recent technology.

The cons: larger book, first revision, the money, having to have the very best equipment, and the tasteless backlit keyboard effect.

The cons were weighed against the pros and were found too light, but:

We havent seen or held it. Only a cardboard piece and 3 kilos of weights, trying to picture it. How does it feel and look in reality? How does it scratch and wear? We decided that if we are going trust any company with this kind of money we should make sure it is apple. So that was it. We went for the kongbook and changed our order the next day.

With it we ordered a canon ixus and an ipod 10. Now that one ram slot is vacant for later upgrading, we ordered the kongbook without further enhancements.

By the way, we have used our 4-year old Blue/white G3 300 for CAD, 3D-modelling, photoshop, music, illustrator, layout and games, and we do know what a larger screen is worth.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: makrell ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by makrell:

<strong>

The cons: larger book, first revision, the money, having to have the very best equipment, and the tasteless backlit keyboard effect.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: makrell ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tasteless keyboard effect??!!! :confused:

Please explain your viewpoint. (I think it's pretty cool not to mention useful for those of us who need to look at the keyboard to type).
  • Reply 33 of 49
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    I have to say lapzilla is just too much. It's great that it has all the new technology, but it wieghs a ton. I still have to see one in person of course, and hold it, but my first reaction is I like the tiBook more. IMO, The tiBook looks cooler, wieghs less, and has almost the same features for about $500 less!
  • Reply 34 of 49
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    [quote]Originally posted by msantti:

<strong>People where whining when 16" notebook PC's came out and Apple only had the 15".

Now people whine that Apples new 17" is too big.

WTF????????????

Forgive Apple for not coming out with a 17" subnotebook size laptop!

Everyone wants a big screen but doesn't want the size.

Something has to give guys. No way this thing could be made any smaller.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK. I'll Bite. This is NOT a 16" NOR a 17" UXGA laptop. What the market wants is UXGA 1600 x 1200 resolution that is all over the PC world. This 1440 x 900 17" is a MUCH LOWER resolution screen. I am PISSED it is not UXGA. Apple should FOLLOW the market once in a while.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by AshMan:

<strong>Im getting one, although i wish they updated the 15 to reflect the enhancements of the 17. Thats what i would really love. but since this is gonna be my only mac for a while, i guess the 17 isnt a bad idea.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 15" update is only 60 days off. Apple is just waiting for the existing inventory of 15" TiBooks to finish flushing into the market. Wait for the update. You will be glad you did.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist:

<strong>Sadly, my appetite for being an early adopter for Apple has declined with the state of the global economy and practical experience.

However, when they shoehorn a 970 into Lapzilla, along with 2GB of RAM, 120GB hard drive, slightly increase the resolution to 1600 x 1000, get the Superdrive to 4X (and stick a Memory Stick Pro - go to <a href="http://www.memorystick.com"; target="_blank">memorystick.com</a> for more info - slot in there for good measure) - I'll be there with some money that I've swindled out of little old ladies who think they're in investing in my new musical, provisionally titled "Teatime for Hussein" </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll be in the same line with you next year when it includes a UXGA 1600 x 1200 screen.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by octane:

<strong>I have to say lapzilla is just too much. It's great that it has all the new technology, but it wieghs a ton. I still have to see one in person of course, and hold it, but my first reaction is I like the tiBook more. IMO, The tiBook looks cooler, wieghs less, and has almost the same features for about $500 less!</strong><hr></blockquote>

5.4 pounds vs. 6.8 pounds is hardly much of a difference in wieght. No way does the current TiBook have near the same features as the 17" APB. If you're set on the 15" form factor you should at least wait the 60 days for the 15" APB before you buy.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>

I'll be in the same line with you next year when it includes a UXGA 1600 x 1200 screen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But surely that just gives a 4:3 profile, whereas what we want is a 16:10 or 14:9 type format.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>

The 15" update is only 60 days off. Apple is just waiting for the existing inventory of 15" TiBooks to finish flushing into the market. Wait for the update. You will be glad you did.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How do you know this? Did I miss something? I would love the 17" specs in a 15" book!!
  • Reply 40 of 49
    marklmarkl Posts: 57member
    After reading 0.4% of replies and telling most of the (appropraite) people I know about the "backlit keyboard" - it being an easy excuse - I would say I have 100% interest and at least 75% are going to buy the 17" (thats about 6 people (it's a small community).