home security

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does Apple have camera's etc that would work for home security purposes? I'm trying to avoid a service like ADT.

AT&T just announced something like this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Depends on what you mean by home security...

What are you looking to do with the camera?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    You could use an iSight and evocam. It doesn't provide a true security solution, but you can use it to email you when it detects motion. It is a neat program, great for hotel rooms and such.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

You could use an iSight and evocam. It doesn't provide a true security solution, but you can use it to email you when it detects motion. It is a neat program, great for hotel rooms and such.

If that actually works, it would be a very neat program. Even though you cannot stop the intruder, at least you know someone messed around your home or with a good pix, can catch a mug shot of that intruder (to sue them or press charges with law enforcement).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It does work, but it isn't meant to be a permanent security system. I use it in my office when I go out of town. You can have it email you if an event occurs and upload the video to a remote location (in case they steal the computer). I have been dying to catch the complex maintenance men, but no luck yet lol.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundyjc

Does Apple have camera's etc that would work for home security purposes? I'm trying to avoid a service like ADT.

AT&T just announced something like this.

SecuritySpy (www.securityspy.com) coupled with a network camera from Toshiba or Panasonic is your baby.

With it, you can monitor your house over the 'net (assuming you have a broadband connection). Some cameras even support remote PTZ (pan tilt zoom). You can set securityspy to record constantly, on a schedule, or whenever the camera detects motion.

We have 60+ cameras running on 3 Xserve G5s hooked up to a RAID at my place of work. Haven't had a projector stolen since we set them up!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Is there any reason why a Pismo (PBG3) wouldn't work with either of the above solutions? I was about to retire this old machine, but this may be a great use for it. And, will using an AirPort be a problem?

Thanks for any help
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

It does work, but it isn't meant to be a permanent security system. I use it in my office when I go out of town. You can have it email you if an event occurs and upload the video to a remote location (in case they steal the computer). I have been dying to catch the complex maintenance men, but no luck yet lol.

thank you for your info