Apple's Jobs slams Zune, says player poses no concern

Comments

• Reply 121 of 155
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Cool. 8)

Except that the plane is small inside, noisy, and vibrates.
  • Reply 122 of 155
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Mars colony by 2035? Definitely by 2040. So.... Melgross, I'll probably still be alive.... Whats about you.... What'ryou gonna do? Cryogenics? Let's do lunch on Mars, say, my birthday (September) 2040 or so. Seriously though, wish you the best of health. We gotta hang around to see AAPL break past that $200 mark. And have 50% marketshare by 2030!11!!!!

Maybe that's what Stevie J. has on his walls instead of that motivational poster rubbish with the picture of a canyon and "Determination" or some bullsh*t like that. He's got a pie chart that says "50% OS X by 2030!!!"
  • Reply 123 of 155
    [Insert joke here about the Mile-High-Club... Whats about the Mach-2-Club?] Heh.
  • Reply 124 of 155
    Quote:

Mars colony by 2035? Definitely by 2040. So.... Melgross, I'll probably still be alive.... Whats about you.... What'ryou gonna do? Cryogenics? Let's do lunch on Mars, say, my birthday (September) 2040 or so. Seriously though, wish you the best of health. We gotta hang around to see AAPL break past that $200 mark. And have 50% marketshare by 2030!11!!!!

Maybe that's what Stevie J. has on his walls instead of that motivational poster rubbish with the picture of a canyon and "Determination" or some bullsh*t like that. He's got a pie chart that says "50% OS X by 2030!!!"

well, most people in my family have been around into their 90's, so I might still be there!

I don't have much hope for a colony by then though. While I love SF, and have over 2 thousand SF books in my libary, I don't hold out much hope for the timescale.

The radiation problem is a BIG one, and no solution is in sight. This is one concept that no near term technology can solve.

If Apple plays their cards right, we will see $200 long before that. Possibly around 2010. Or earlier.
  • Reply 125 of 155
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Except that the plane is small inside, noisy, and vibrates.

Nope. It was wide enough for four seats (bigger than coach, smaller than 1st class) and an isle - and it wasn't noisy at all, it felt very solid.

• Reply 126 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Nope. It was wide enough for four seats (bigger than coach, smaller than 1st class) and an isle - and it wasn't noisy at all, it felt very solid.

It is small. The seats are not as comfortable as normal first class, and the one time I took a flight, just so that I would have the experience, it was not what I would have wanted for regular flights. It was noisier than first class, less comfortable, as I said, and vibrated more than larger craft.

Not worth the money, unless the shorter travel time was truly inportant. And, once travel time to and from the airport is taken into account, as well as the wait time at the airport, that time difference is not as great as one might think.
  • Reply 127 of 155
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

[Insert joke here about the Mile-High-Club... Whats about the Mach-2-Club?] Heh.

That might of worked better if you actually said a joke about the mile high club

On the subject of jokes, i heard a good one the other day. Microsoft Works.

Sure the screen looks pretty. No, Microsoft dont have a nano, no they dont have a shuffle. Last i checked those were more popular than the iPod Video.

And I daresay Apple is being proactive, the touch screen ipod patents. Apple is not going to sit on their ass and let Microsoft take over their marketshare. Well, they better not, cause I just brought a Nano Gen2 (oh yes, its green), and I would hate for the company to collapse before my warranty expired.

And the Zune is a motherfacking brick. I mean seriously an Mp3 player is supposed to fit in your pocket. Or your coin pocket. Depending.

Thats all i got for now.
  • Reply 128 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pyriX

...Apple is not going to sit on their ass and let Microsoft take over their marketshare. Well, they better not, cause I just brought a Nano Gen2 (oh yes, its green), and I would hate for the company to collapse before my warranty expired...

Well mate, hate to break it to ya, but your battery will probably die just about the time the 1 year warranty expires. I'd pony up the $99 AUD for the 2 year warranty. Or, you can take your chances and get some sweet new iPod goodness in the 2nd year if yours carks it.

Gawds, what the frack have we become, I can't even imagine buying an iPod nano or shuffle now because I know 8 months max there'll be some massive new sexy iPod goodness. *sigh* My aunt gave me a Westfield gift card, that gives me $50 AUD off at David Jones .... which sells ... iPods ... must ... resist .... arhghghhgghhgghghhghghghgg.

At times like this I bring out my teh sexay that started it all, the iPod mini 1st gen silver, hard disk still works but no music playing functionality (it's a 4gb Flash(well, microHardDisk)Drivenow)... So yeah anyway, I bring it out, and stroke it a little, hoping to stave off the new iPod cravings for just another day.......... I hear the Shuffle clip is a little loose. Thank the gods, that's off my list. Now, let's hear some bad news about the new Nanos!!!! FUD or not, whatever!!! STOP ME FROM BUYING AN IPOD NANO THIS CHRISTMAS!!! PLEASSEEEEEEE
  • Reply 129 of 155
    I'll think I'll just cuddle up with my iPod mini 1st gen Silver tonight. It'll keep me warm as I try and also distract myself thinking about a 450mhz to 580mhz overclocked nVidia 7900GS 256bit 256MB VRAM. With a custom Zalman LED heatpipe-heatsinkfan for the GPU..... Awwwww yeaaaaa.......
  • Reply 130 of 155
    I swear when I bought my iPod mini 2 years ago it was $349 AUD for 4GB. Now the 4GB Nano is $299 AUD. Ah well, it's smaller, thinner, lighter, massive battery life, colour screen, can show photos/ album art.............

Two years ago the iPod mini served very well as a 4GB crucial files kinda backup thingy. Now the 4GB nano is kinda not a full-on backup solution, though it means you won't have to lug around another tiny 1GB flashpendrive thingy.

But man, Apple has full-on hit the nail on the head with the 2GB Silver-only to the 4GB sexay COLOURS upsell. Bastards!!! *shakes fist*

Frack the Black 8GB nano though, might as well get a bloody 30gb BLACK iPod Video for a bit less.........!
  • Reply 131 of 155
    Quote:

I swear when I bought my iPod mini 2 years ago it was $349 AUD for 4GB. Now the 4GB Nano is $299 AUD. Ah well, it's smaller, thinner, lighter, massive battery life, colour screen, can show photos/ album art.............

Two years ago the iPod mini served very well as a 4GB crucial files kinda backup thingy. Now the 4GB nano is kinda not a full-on backup solution, though it means you won't have to lug around another tiny 1GB flashpendrive thingy.

But man, Apple has full-on hit the nail on the head with the 2GB Silver-only to the 4GB sexay COLOURS upsell. Bastards!!! *shakes fist*

Frack the Black 8GB nano though, might as well get a bloody 30gb BLACK iPod Video for a bit less.........!

On the 8gb nano i agree, i really dont see the point in that. I'll probably just go and get another ipod if/when this one dies. By then we might have touch screen ones. Yayzor.

Photos is kinda pointless on a screen of the size then nano has though.
  • Reply 132 of 155
    Quote:

I'll think I'll just cuddle up with my iPod mini 1st gen Silver tonight. It'll keep me warm as I try and also distract myself thinking about a 450mhz to 580mhz overclocked nVidia 7900GS 256bit 256MB VRAM. With a custom Zalman LED heatpipe-heatsinkfan for the GPU..... Awwwww yeaaaaa.......

Did you really need the 7900GS though? I get by on a 7600GS, given that DX10 cards are gonna be out and dropping in price in the next few weeks. I laugh at your $300+ video card, while I gaze at mine and think wow. $160 can play 2142 at max settings. Gets a little toasty though, i had to underclock it in the summer heat to keep comp from crashing. Passive heatsinks are shitzor, I really should replace it, but atm, I have about $5 to my name after buyin the nano.

By the by, so far, so good (or bad for you). There is nothing wrong with this nano, it could well be the best mobile device I ever purchases, and believe you me, the screen on my old Sony Clie was damn sexy. I would still be using it, but it stopped working, even brought a battery off ebay for it to no evail. Thing as a whole was a brick though
  • Reply 133 of 155
    Quote:

Did you really need the 7900GS though? I get by on a 7600GS, given that DX10 cards are gonna be out and dropping in price in the next few weeks. I laugh at your $300+ video card, while I gaze at mine and think wow. $160 can play 2142 at max settings. Gets a little toasty though, i had to underclock it in the summer heat to keep comp from crashing. Passive heatsinks are shitzor, I really should replace it, but atm, I have about $5 to my name after buyin the nano...

I laugh at your Max settings at 0XAA at 0XAF trilinear filtering. Heh. Anyway yes, passive heatsink for a GPU is laughable. You totally need this baby, with summer round the corner: VF900-Cu LED

My 6600GT rig is in KL,Malaysia, stuck there for a while, while I am here in Melbourne doin' stuff. Haven't played a game, PC/Console/Handheld for 3 months + now. Not to bad. At least I know I'm not addicted or anything
  • Reply 134 of 155
    Anyway if I buy a 7900GS it would be 800 Ringgit in KL which is a bit less than $300 AUD and it kicketh the asseth big timeth...!!!!! YEAHHHH. Also it overclocks easy from 450mhz to 550mhz, there are some models around the $300mark that are guaranteed clocked at 550mhz, can hit 580mhz with the fan it comes with... 2XAA, 16XAF, 1280x1024, Max settings, buttery yummy smooth. FEAR Extraction Pt, HL2 Episode 2, BF2142... Heh.

Hmmm... but now back to finding a job in Melbourne, after all this horse-racing hat-wearing nonsense dies down (Australia-related joke, others feel free to ignore)... If [the job] happens then to figuring out how the hell I'm going to get my AMD64 and my Sony17"LCD down here.
  • Reply 135 of 155
    I hear you can do an apprenticeship at TAFE in Battlefield 2142 nowadays... (Another Australia-related joke, others feel free to ignore). Looks like there's a hell of a lot of skill shortages, including piloting all that cool looking mecha.
  • Reply 136 of 155
    Quote:

I hear you can do an apprenticeship at TAFE in Battlefield 2142 nowadays... (Another Australia-related joke, others feel free to ignore). Looks like there's a hell of a lot of skill shortages, including piloting all that cool looking mecha.

Yeah. TAFE. noob. Mech isnt hard, its the jet/helicopter that requires more skill. What are you working in melbourne that can keep u away from your rig?

By the by, now i see how you got your post count up so damn high, you have about five posts for the one reply. Cheater
  • Reply 137 of 155
    Quote:

Yeah. TAFE. noob. Mech isnt hard, its the jet/helicopter that requires more skill. What are you working in melbourne that can keep u away from your rig?

By the by, now i see how you got your post count up so damn high, you have about five posts for the one reply. Cheater

Heh, to be honest I've never played Battlefield-anything ... Used to clock some time with the ol' CounterStrike and mostly UT2004. ONS-TORLAN was my middle name for a while.

What am I working on? Trying to get a job \ I haven't lived in Malaysia since 12 so its a weird weird place. I've been in Australia collectively for about 6 years here and there, USA almost 3 years here and there. And generally I like white people better [to quote Seinfeld: How can it be racist if you *like* their race?] ...Actually not white people but just Western English-speaking culture does better for my social health though I have not explored the wild and wooly realms of Brittania and Ireland. I'm Half-Chinese, Half-Indian, but 99% white trash. Quite funny actually.

Yeah the post count "trick" is more of something that just became a habit. Even if you divide mine by 3 its still a respectable count.

Oh and more easy access to public golf courses here in Australia. Had a whack around today with the old folks... Damn drought, the courses here are so dry.
  • Reply 138 of 155
    Melgross is going to hit 6000 posts. That's because he argues with every other post that someone puts up.
  • Reply 139 of 155
    See? Separate train of thought. Deserves separate post.
  • Reply 140 of 155
    Holy fracking hell I just realised Melgross has over 6300 posts....!!