Almost ready to make the switch...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, to start off, I became interested in Apple and the Macintosh line of computers recently. I decided I'd need to start doing my research first and have lurking on these boards reading almost all the posts pertaining to Apple laptops. I am a longtime (15+ years) user of PC's from DOS up to Windows XP and even went through a anti-apple stage in Junior High . Anyways, the time is ripe for a switch and I have had my eye on two machines that are within my budget.

Those machines are the Macbook regular with some upgrades (currently waiting for Core 2 Duo) or a refurbished Macbook Pro Core Duo. I am actually leaning towards the refurb Macbook Pro so I wanted to make sure it will be the right purchase. Anyways, here they are!

1) What is Apple's refurb program like. Will I expect a quality computer or should I be wary of this?

2) It's been sorta hard to pinpoint but what exactly is the big difference between performance of a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo in 32 bit applications. It is very rare to find a 64 bit application and I don't think we'll see many anyways before even the Core 2 Duo's are getting out of date.

3) Can anyone list the difference in clocks of the x1600 on the MBP between CD and C2D? I am pretty sure there is a big difference between the two. Also, was wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with overclocking the MBP CD x1600 to bring it up to speed with the C2D and if there were any problems.

4) Lastly, is inserting your own RAM against the warranty and is it hard to do on the MBP? I can only get 1GB of RAM on the refurb and I would like to have 2 gigs.

Well those are the main questions I have and look forward to hear some answers and eventually (very soon I hope) become a part of the Apple community. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Welcome, and hope you like it here.

1.) The "refurb program" is great. Not only do you receive a quality computer at a discounted price but you still maintain the full one-year warranty plus the option of the 3-year AppleCare program. It's as good as new!

2.) Not too much a difference. Barely noticable. 10-12% difference is hard to determine as a huge performance increase.

3.) As both are underclocked, I believe the difference is quite significant. The first MBP's were vastly underclocked, the new ones are around 419/450. Quite a big increase from the previous MBP.

4.) Nope.

Now go buy an Apple... 8)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Awesome. Will def purchase one this weekend and when I use Bootcamp, I'll just overclock the ATI so it's a bit more in line with how it should be. I read at xclerateyourmac (spelling?) that people were succesful with overclocking the Macbook Pro's Core Duo so everything looks good.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phillyt

I even went through a anti-apple stage in Junior High

Then you must be initiated. Ready the paddles guys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phillyt

4) Lastly, is inserting your own RAM against the warranty and is it hard to do on the MBP? I can only get 1GB of RAM on the refurb and I would like to have 2 gigs.

No, but stupidly Apple decided to put a little metal thing on the hard drive in the new one (Core 2 Duo) and I think they void your warranty if you try to replace the drive yourself.

IMO they should make the MBP like the MB with the easy Ram and HD replacement. I'd rather have a slightly noisier drive than not be able to replace it.

Anyway, the Mac is a solid machine and don't be concerned if OS X doesn't meet your needs because you can revert back to Windows if you have an XP SP2 disc.