Macs, creativity & innovation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have it like a dream in my mind. It is the marketing slogan of apple, I think a decade ago. ?Think different?. So simple, so strong!

I am going to make the switch to mac, for the first time in my life.

I am searching to find how people can be really creative in an advanced computer platform like macs. How they can be innovative.

Any relevant site, any example, any application, any idea or opinion about this ?different thinking?, would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I have a better one:

"If you can't eat the whole thing, at least take a bite out of it!"

"Think different" fit the Apple a decade ago... these days I'm not sure.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Someone once used the slogan "Think Ahead" on an Apple ad, which I felt was quite appropriate given how much they drive the computer industry. Another one relating to that was, Microsoft may own 95% of the boat but Apple owns the rudder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11

I am going to make the switch to mac, for the first time in my life.

I am searching to find how people can be really creative in an advanced computer platform like macs. How they can be innovative.

Any relevant site, any example, any application, any idea or opinion about this ?different thinking?, would be appreciated.

The Think Different idea has been criticized as being quite ironic by PC users considering that with a limited product lineup it leads more towards homogenization and in essence thinking the same.

I think mainly it relates to Apple's own innovation in terms of product design, which most competitors try to copy at some point or other. Apple invented firewire, the palmtop, the easiest to use unix desktop OS, the personal computer essentially, they were the first to ditch floppies (a big think different attitude at the time) etc.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I am highly skeptical that uniformity in what kind of computer you own affects the way you think. Good design makes things look prettier, easy to use, and can relax you, but honestly, do people really let the model of computers changes their mindset. Ironic, yeah; meaningful, no.

Standardizing and minimizing does not a fascist company make. And random variety is not necessarily useful. What matters is that the OS lets you think different(ly), and that the solutions provided by the company are different. "Think different," not "Buy different."

You know, Greek architecture and Japanese Architecture were very standardized and canonized, and it's not like they ever managed to make any major contributions to society.

If you're looking for inspiration from Apple, just look up these people and what they did:

Steve Jobs (Founder, mad genius)

Steve Wonzniak (Founder, coder)

Jonathan Ive (Designs the computers)

Jeff Raskin (Led the Macintosh team)

Apple also has featured companies on their website here: http://www.apple.com/pro/ Check them out. Some are really cool.