Server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm on an iMac core duo. I recently aquired a decent speed windows computer. Im planning on chaning the OS to some linux type (not sure which one). Im on a network right now at my home, so my internet is comming through my wireless card, so i'm going to connect my iMac and computer i got though the ethernet cord (is that possible?) Now once its connected that computer has no monitor, any way I could use some sort of remote managment software to acess it and install and add things to it? Any advice im a noob to these kind of things.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Couple of thoughts:

I have a PC and Mac that share a monitor. The monitor has DVI in which runs to the Mac and VGA in which connects to the PC. There's a button on the front of the monitor that allows me to switch back and forth. I run the keyboard through a USB switch. Result is that I can hit two buttons and switch back and forth between the two computers with only one monitor and one keyboard.

If you don't have this type of monitor (or video card) then it won't work for you.

A software solution that will allow you to control a Mac from Linux and vice versa would be VNC. You'd run the VNC server on your Mac and a VNC client on your Linux box.

I found the wording of your question to be confusing. Hope I am understanding properly what you asked.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    There is a special cable for directly connecting the LAN ports of two computers. The normal ones are for connecting your computer to a switch or a router and wont work if you use it to connect two computers.

Also, if only one of the computers has internet via a wireless network, you can try to share the internet connection for the other computer. I haven't done this, but it is possible and there is a lot of material on doing this that you can look up online.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101

There is a special cable for directly connecting the LAN ports of two computers. The normal ones are for connecting your computer to a switch or a router and wont work if you use it to connect two computers.

Pretty much all Macs from the recent years have Ethernet ports that are auto-sensing, so it doesn't matter which cable you use.