Apple teams with six major airlines to Deliver iPod Integration

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I have to admit that the dock connector is working out pretty well despite being only for Apple products. Without it, to do this, you would need an AV cable and a power adapter or two.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    that's cool, can't wait for it to come to us airways

that vid option is really nice so you can download a movie, put it on the iPod and watch it. You can watch whatever you want, which is def sweet.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Would it not be possible for the airlines to just add USB ports? I don't know if it's possible to stream video over a USB, but as it's just data, I don't see why not. Wouldn't it then be in the best interest of the airlines to work out connectivity that allowed any player, and not just iPods, to stream video? Or perhaps they will have their own proprietary connector that you will need an adapter from the iPod port. This would make most sense: they have done the same with the audio jacks. It'll be another gadget for you to buy and carry around with you when travelling -- and one such adapter could be made for numerous different players, including Zune.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    I hope Japan Airlines offers this soon. JAL offers DS Lite systems to executive class passengers, so it'll be nice to have iPod docks on that airline.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton

Would it not be possible for the airlines to just add USB ports? I don't know if it's possible to stream video over a USB, but as it's just data, I don't see why not. Wouldn't it then be in the best interest of the airlines to work out connectivity that allowed any player, and not just iPods, to stream video? Or perhaps they will have their own proprietary connector that you will need an adapter from the iPod port. This would make most sense: they have done the same with the audio jacks. It'll be another gadget for you to buy and carry around with you when travelling -- and one such adapter could be made for numerous different players, including Zune.

Does USB have a standardized means of streaming video other than just making the host fetch and decode a file? More importantly, do any portable media players support it? Otherwise, unless there's a way to authorize the connection, the station probably won't be able to decrypt files bought through iTunes or anywhere else for that matter. The dock connector has analog audio and video pins in it, and I think that's how the video is being played.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Plus you'd be screwed if you forgot your USB cable. Or packed it in your checked luggage.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natan

apple is trying to make it so that you can use your ipod anywhere you go with anything that is out there. they are trying to create an ecoysytem that will sustain and be a roadblock to such challenges as the zune. compains that have a relation ship with the ipod and apple will not want to suport the zue i bet

Anyone want to take bets on how long the first Zune to iPod accessory adaptor takes to come out?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jadams

Anyone want to take bets on how long the first Zune to iPod accessory adaptor takes to come out?

I don't know about the Zune, but I think Apple's dock connector requires Apple's approval to use in a product, and there's a licence fee too.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Charging it out of thin air?

Charging it WHILE IN thin air!
  • Reply 30 of 34
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus

I rarely take the time to reply, but that was awesome.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus

I thought of making a joke about the altitude and all, but figured I wouldn't get the point across.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

It does not seem like it adds any value to the customer.

I have a video iPod and I travel internationally quite a bit, so I'm on long airplane rides with little opportunity to recharge. Video drains my iPod's battery way too fast; I just play music and that gets me through. With a way to charge my iPod on the plane, and a way to send my video content into the screen in the headrest - I'm in heaven. Value add for me, and value add for Apple, because I'll buy video content from them now whereas I wouldn't before.

Chris Brown

BrownAndCompanyCREATIVE
  • Reply 33 of 34
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I thought this was completely useless until I read:

Quote:

allow the video content on their iPods to be viewed on seat back displays.

That's pretty friggin' cool. Of course one could just buy an external battery for their ipod and hold it because having it close to you makes the screen a bigger relative size then it really is.

Who wins here is the flight attendants who now get to find and keep tons more ipods then they already do!
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

If you are a business traveler and you see an iPod charging cable available every time you fly, guess what you are going to buy.

An adapter for my player that fits into the Apple one.