Skype on iMac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
when I first played with skype on my iMac G5 I could never get the person on the other to hear me. Now people are telling me i need some sort of pre-amp for the mic/headset (like an iMic) as the mic port can't pick up enough sound, or something. Does anyone have any experience with this? thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LukeF

when I first played with skype on my iMac G5 I could never get the person on the other to hear me. Now people are telling me i need some sort of pre-amp for the mic/headset (like an iMic) as the mic port can't pick up enough sound, or something. Does anyone have any experience with this? thanks!

The problem you are having depends on the type of mic you have. Most standard mic's plugged directly into the Line -input will not work unless they go through a pre-amp first, or they have their own built in powered pre-amp. Also, some mic's require phantom power to work, but I doubt you are using a mic that requires phantom power.

First try out the built-in mic on the imac and see if that works. It's not the best, but its a place to start troubleshooting. Also check your mic volume settings on your iMac and make sure they are set properly.

I also have an Imac G5 and use Skype but use a Logitech USB headset/headphones mic ($39). It works perfectly and I never have a complaint. It doesn't require and special pre-amp or power since it grabs it's power from the USB.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 5
    great, thanks. That's exactly what i was after.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have the iMac G5, and I use the in-built mic without any problems. I do use a headphones because people on the other end can hear their own words back through the mic and it's off-putting for them.

It will be a setting issue, and nothing to do with needing preamps etc. Bet it was a pc person who mentioned preamps

David
  • Reply 4 of 5
    i have a headset/mic thing in the mic and headphones jacks on the back and have tried every permutation of audio settings and never got it to work. i think it was picking up the audio from a mic next to the speakers but it was always to weak for me to be heard properly. off to the shops for a USB phone right about now!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I use skype on a blue and white G3 with a 500Mhz g4 Zif, 1 Gb ram, and the strange cube looking apple mic. I have had no problems with people hearing me. I have tried to get them to see my video but it doesn't work. I have the new Skype 2.0 w/ video. Any Ideas on how I can get the vidoe to work?