Checkout these prices!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Image Annoying IMO

[ 01-24-2003: Message edited by: Mr. Macintosh ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Um, if I'm correct those are the ADC prices, what about them?
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Is this one of those ebay "Pay me $1 and I'll tell you how to get these ridiculously cheap prices for apple hardware?"

I always wonder what they'd tell you if you actually paid them the $1? "Well um, you pay $500/year to be a developer or if you can fake being a Computer Science major you can do it for $100/year, but only one machine in your lifetime"

I'd feel pretty ripped off if I paid them for that info
  • Reply 3 of 54
    I was under the impression the developer connection disscount works if you pay $100 later for the membership?
  • Reply 4 of 54
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm from Europe, Finland to be exact, and study CS. But for the life of me, I can't figure out from the Apple webpages whether I can get discounts. How exactly does the discount work for you Americans?

- Gon
  • Reply 5 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by Gon:

<strong>I'm from Europe, Finland to be exact, and study CS. But for the life of me, I can't figure out from the Apple webpages whether I can get discounts. How exactly does the discount work for you Americans?

- Gon</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well for us Americans we just click on Store, then Education...its as simple as that. Finding the developer discount is a but more hoop jumping though.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    For this kind of pricing you need to have a 3500.00 ADC membership!
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Actually, if you're a college student you can just become a "Student Developer" and pay only $100/year, and qualify for one lifetime hardware purchase at the developer price.

Check out:

<a href="http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html"; target="_blank">http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html</a>;

It clearly says, "ADC Student Program members in the US, Canada, Australia, and Europe may take advantage of a special, one-time hardware discount.

ADC Student Program members are entitled to one purchase of a discounte development system (one (1) CPU with one (1) monitor; or one (1) iMac, PowerBook, iBook, PowerMac (subject to change) at approximately a 10-20% discount. (The discount varies by product and region due to local sales policies, pricing, and availability). Third-party products and software are not available for discounted purchase. Note that not all Apple products are discounted equivalently and some may not be available through the ADC Hardware Discount Program at all. "

The links for the ADC store are on that page too. I can't wait to get my 17" powerbook at $2639!
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Thanks! Gotta cancel my order now and resubmit it!

-Brian

[quote]Originally posted by The Former Lurker:

<strong>Actually, if you're a college student you can just become a "Student Developer" and pay only $100/year, and qualify for one lifetime hardware purchase at the developer price.

Check out:

<a href="http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html"; target="_blank">http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html</a>;

It clearly says, "ADC Student Program members in the US, Canada, Australia, and Europe may take advantage of a special, one-time hardware discount.

ADC Student Program members are entitled to one purchase of a discounte development system (one (1) CPU with one (1) monitor; or one (1) iMac, PowerBook, iBook, PowerMac (subject to change) at approximately a 10-20% discount. (The discount varies by product and region due to local sales policies, pricing, and availability). Third-party products and software are not available for discounted purchase. Note that not all Apple products are discounted equivalently and some may not be available through the ADC Hardware Discount Program at all. "

The links for the ADC store are on that page too. I can't wait to get my 17" powerbook at $2639! </strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 9 of 54
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    in order from left to right, when compared to *free* Departmental purchasing prices available.

+$1 -$11 -$79 -$160 -$240

this leads me to believe a few things.

1. The price listed for the 12" PowerBooks is about as low as they can possibly go.

2. Apple really wants developers to go for the high-end machines, which I think we already knew to some extent.

Interesting how the difference jumps once you get to the truly high-end machines though.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>in order from left to right, when compared to *free* Departmental purchasing prices available.

+$1 -$11 -$79 -$160 -$240

this leads me to believe a few things.

1. The price listed for the 12" PowerBooks is about as low as they can possibly go.

2. Apple really wants developers to go for the high-end machines, which I think we already knew to some extent.

Interesting how the difference jumps once you get to the truly high-end machines though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The high end machines subsidize low end machines. It's always been like that.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    I noticed that prices at the Apple-Store are pretty negotiable when you actually call them directly. You don't get as low as these prices, but last June I got -without spending more than 30 seconds of whining- a +5% discount on a PowerBook and AppleCare and got some free goodies thrown in at it...

I won't fill in the online form anymore... I'll just call them directly and actually TALK to someone...
  • Reply 12 of 54
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Apple does have good margins.

I know they would not be selling at a loss.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Former Lurker:

<strong>Actually, if you're a college student you can just become a "Student Developer" and pay only $100/year, and qualify for one lifetime hardware purchase at the developer price.

Check out:

</strong><hr></blockquote>Great... guess I gotta call Apple Store to ask for more info and make sure this works for me. The page for Europe info was pretty scarce.

Getting envious for the Australians.. free AppleCare, unlimited student discounts. How cool is that?

- Gon
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Whoops, ignore me. I see what you were talking about now. Silly me, guess I need glasses

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: fuzz_ball ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 54
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    You know it says no where on Apples site that you have to be enrolled in Computer Science courses to become a Student Developer. All it says is that you have to be enrolled in a college and be over 18. I think they really only care about getting that 100 dollars every year. I went through the whole process up to the last OK ( I don't want to spend to 100 untill I buy my next comptuer). NO where does it say anything about having to be enrolled in computer science courses that I could find. IF in fact you are supposed to be they don't seem to make a big deal of letting you know. weird...
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Actually, from that same site I linked before:

" Please be sure you are adhering to the Terms and Conditions before ordering. In addition, we request that students fax a copy of student identification AND proof of current class registration in developer-related courses. Apple reserves the right to refuse access to this offer by non-students and/or non-developers. "

I know people who've already done this and yes, Apple does make you send them a transcript proving you're taking developer related courses.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    You're right I didn't notice that over there. They seem not to put the right info in the right place. To bad I have to many core classes to take so I can't throw in "Developer related classes". Being first year and all. Damn them. ummm...

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Algol ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 54
    I wonder what "Developer Related" classes are? I wonder if a major in Electrical Engineering would be close enough? They really don't make it very clear as to what is required and what is not. And the Terms and Conditions says nothing of this and no where have they actaully asked me to fax them anything. Is there anyone who has actually done this and has a clue as to what is really required. I don't want to go to all the trouble only to be rejected. Gosh why does everything have to be so annoying even with apple.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I used the ADC student program and got a great discount on my Ti500. At the time I only paid $100 per year for: 1 time uber discount, year of OS CDs and other developer CDs by mail, access to ADC online website (same as online-only but with some bouns access).

It worked out pretty well for Apple as I now pay $500 per year to enroll in ADC. I'm lucky, when I upgraded from student to Premiere I had already been a member for 2 years and so I was offered a discount purchase as an incentive for renewing. Something to "save" on right before I shell out another $500 for next year's membership.

Yes, I am a developer. No, I did not receive any secret calls from Stevie asking where I'd been and what classes I took. Yes, I was a real student enrolled in CS classes at a major university. I also enrolled using my campus .edu email adress, so that might have helped.

Anyhow, at $100 per year ADC is totally awesome: OS CDs and the awesome discount. Apple should really offer free .mac service to its developers too, as an added benefit and to encourage development.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Xool ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 54
    I have looked over everything and it seems that to join the Student membership you don't have to be taking computer science but to get the Hardware discount you do... Thats why it is so confusing.