Official Post Zune Release Thread

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

We'll generally I'd have to agree with you, but usually Apple is not a copier, they are an innovator. There is a lot in store for the next iPod. I predict the next release of the iPod will be the most significant release since the initial release.

I,m not suggesting they copy these features that Zune has but they should look and see how they can do them better.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

1. The zune screen actually is .5 inches larger but has the exact same resolution as the ipod, so its 'more pixelated'. Additionally, it is not a widescreen device so watching it from the side only stretches the images. Its not an upgrade imho. It may look bigger, for whatever .5 inches gives you, but doesn't by any means look better and is not a better screen.

2. Scroll wheel, i can't see this being a better thing...sorry, clicking just doesn't give you that 'feel'. at least for me. i feel more in control with the iPod. But that's a personal thing, as all of this is.

3. User interface - can't say a lot about what is on the Zune itself, but the Zune marketplace / application isn't very good. No video support yet, no podcasting support, no notes, no calendar items, no games, just music... and I tried it out too, trying to keep an open mind. it crashed on me, so it needs work.

You bring up a valid point concerniong the screen size. Nonetheless most praise the size and quality of Zune's screen. I can't comment, I've not seen one in action. As far as the scroll wheel and user interface, I'm surprised that Zune is preferred by several reviewers as these features always seemed to be the real strenght of iPod IMO. However if some reviewers find merit in it, it may strike a cord with users as well.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac:

You bring up a valid point concerniong the screen size. Nonetheless most praise the size and quality of Zune's screen. I can't comment, I've not seen one in action.

I really think you should have a look at the Zune. I would be interested to know whether you think, having beheld it, whether you might continue to give credence to what others reviewers or "most others" have to say.

It's interesting to think how one's predisposition to PCs or Macs might also cloud one's perception. The same ilk of reviewers might likewise extoll the virtues of Windows XP over OS X Tiger. True - it's all a matter of individual preference ? but, therein lies the rub. Some suffer the enlightened opinions of others gladly- some do not.

I, for one, am trying to understand because I have a significant amount invested in Microsoft and want them to continue doing well, so it knicks me personally when I see them- having had so readily an example of what to beat in the form of the iPod - spend a lump of cash on what might not turn out so well for them. It holds no comfort for me to think that, over the next few iterations, they might possibly start to "get it right."

Yes - I am embarrassed for them - I had hoped they would do much more, precisely because of what they could potentially bring to the table. The degree of embarrassment is proportional to the potential Microsoft represents versus what it actually produces now - real time - not generation from now.

Those that point out that Microsoft will "get it right" after a few future iterations might consider the probability that the iPod will likewise evolve during this same generational stretch - probably lengthening the gap that Microsoft has already allowed to happen.

Yes, indeed - I'm very embarrassed for Microsoft. It's all really too sad.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I,m not suggesting they copy these features that Zune has but they should look and see how they can do them better.

And they are...
  • Reply 25 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2

[..] I have a significant amount invested in Microsoft [..]

I have a feeling that's gonna make you ever-so-slightly unpopular here.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I have a feeling that's gonna make you ever-so-slightly unpopular here.

Ok, I know you were joking... but really... Microsoft is to diverse of a company to bash entirely when compared to Apple. Because the fact is, Microsoft offers products and services that Apple doesn't, and doesn't even WANT to offer. And thats one reason why you would invest in Microsoft stock. 'Cause hell, I certainly would not invest in Microsoft if it was based on Windows and Zune.

As far as Office goes... clunky, not terribly inspirational, and without a motivating UI, but it is fairly powerful. v2007 should clear things up a bit. I think Microsoft is doing well with Microsoft Office.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Ok, I know you were joking...

Indeed I was.

Quote:

but really... Microsoft is to diverse of a company to bash entirely when compared to Apple.

I know.