shardsofme

About

Username
shardsofme
Joined
Visits
8
Last Active
Roles
member
Points
16
Badges
0
Posts
10
  • Looking back at Steve Jobs's NeXT, Inc -- the most successful failure ever

    The paint scuffing comment doesn’t tell you the half of it. The NeXT Computer was in fact powder coated, not painted, and though magnesium is not exactly an easy metal to powder coat and powder coating is far from an exact science, Steve nevertheless would not allow his factory to sign off on any casing where the finish was less than flawless - thereby ensuring that the mere aesthetic finish of the machine ensured that it could never be produced at a profit.

    That’s one reason why Jony Ive was so critical in Apple’s resurgence: his knowledge of material science and his having Steve’s ear meant no more chasing the impossible.
    mdriftmeyeranantksundaram1ststeveau
  • Looking back at 10 years of the iPad, Apple's revolutionary tablet

    Its worth remembering that the original’s price tag was seen as quite the bargain, as most analysts had thought it would come in at $999.

    My daily driver remains the 9.7” Pro: 80% of what computing I do is done on that with a Smart Keyboard; because the other 20% is usually heavy lifting or where I need to get important stuff done that much quicker, my MBP and Thunderbolt Display setup nevertheless is still indispensable. Different paradigms, but equally great to use.

    So 100% of my computing is on five-year old hardware that has performed faultlessly for the duration, is on a current OS, and shows no sign of running out of steam. I wonder how many users rocking other platforms can say that?
    jony0watto_cobra
  • A deep dive into HomePod's adaptive audio, beamforming and why it needs an A8 processor

    jcs2305 said:

    audiophile

    [aw-dee-uh-fahyl] 
    Spell Syllables
    noun
    1.
    a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.
    I’d read that an audiophile was someone who used music to listen to their equipment?
    Soli