Multitouch Subnotebook/Tablet

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Although the picture at Mac Rumors about the 10" subnotebook is rather likely just someone having the usual fun, it got me thinking.

I remember back when we all saw multitouch (and before, actually) a lot of talk was given to an Apple notebook that used dual-screens so that the keyboard could be entirely configurable.

I still have doubts about the quality of typing on a screen (even though the RDF is strong on that one) but I have to admit a 10" or 11" subnotebook is probably the best positioned to try multitouch out in something beyond a phone.

As subnotebooks are expensive (the, um, good ones?yeah I'm looking at you Palm Foleo) what better way to justify the cost then to make it multitouch and give it tablet like abilities. In a single stroke both tablet and subnotebook fans are satisfied (and slate tablet people can go to the Modbook). The Nintendo DS amply proved inputting on one screen and viewing actions on another do indeed work.

My stab at reasonable specs below:

So we have a 10 or 11" widescreen. A second multitouch screen in place of the keyboard.

Either a 32GB flash drive or a larger hybrid drive or a 1.8" 80 GB drive with say 4-8GB of flash.

With any luck we get a tiny fanless GPU that can be turned off in favour of Intel's graphics to save power (although just Intel's graphics is likely).

A 1.2 GHz ULV Intel Core Duo 2 Santa Rosa chip with 533 MHz bus and 2MB L2 cache (the U7600, the current top ultra-low voltage chip).

No optical drive (although perhaps an external one should be included with your purchase).

Excellent battery life (comparable products get 8+ hours, although the multitouch keyboard/screen would likely reduce battery life).

I personally would love an optional UMTS tri-band or EV-DO card since WiFi is way less common outside North America.

Hopefully a case redesign along the good parts of Intel's concept laptop?most notably the removal of the screen bezel, and it's thinness.

------

I'm not saying it's likely or anything, but I'm now intrigued by the idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Very, very few people here on AI even think there is a chance of something like this coming out. I, however, hope you are right and they do produce something like this.

The potential and future impact of a programmable screan as the MacRumors shot calls it is amazing. Free-form user interfaces that can be adjusted to the individual user's preferences and needs. Wow.

People talk about keyboard short-cuts, but with this you won't need but one finger, as opposed to a combination. You will be able to streamline your own personal work-flow; some people always use the same functions in iMovie, for example, but never use others. With this screen, they could have their favorites all on one screen, with options for other screens when needed.

Developers could have a ball with this, too. I think tons of great things will come of this.

I alo really, really, hope this rumor is true and that the doubters have to face the music.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Very, very few people here on AI even think there is a chance of something like this coming out. I, however, hope you are right and they do produce something like this.

The potential and future impact of a programmable screan as the MacRumors shot calls it is amazing. Free-form user interfaces that can be adjusted to the individual user's preferences and needs. Wow.

People talk about keyboard short-cuts, but with this you won't need but one finger, as opposed to a combination. You will be able to streamline your own personal work-flow; some people always use the same functions in iMovie, for example, but never use others. With this screen, they could have their favorites all on one screen, with options for other screens when needed.

Developers could have a ball with this, too. I think tons of great things will come of this.

I alo really, really, hope this rumor is true and that the doubters have to face the music.

Don't worry, it's not. Why?

1) Cost (look for serious rumors of it in four or five years.)

2) Developers wouldn't develop for this. If the machine costs so much, why should they put extra time, effort, and thus money, into something that's available on one machine that few people will get? It's not worth it for them.

3) No feedback from the buttons. People won't like it when they try it in an Apple Store or wherever. It would take A LOT to get used to it, and people don't want to take that time.

4) Multi-Touch was developed for a phone, not for an actual full-size keyboard for normal typing actions or whatever. Just for one-finger touching and flings. A lot of development would have to be done in order to get it to the point where it could be used on a real computer. Probably years of development.

I know the potential's there, and it could do a lot, but unfortunately, it's not really feasible.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Apple put years of R&D into the touch panel for the iPhone... I sincerely doubt they left it at that.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Apple put years of R&D into the touch panel for the iPhone... I sincerely doubt they left it at that.

Of course not, a slightly simplified version will be ported to the next iPod.

With its portables gaining multi-touch, Apple will spark an industry revolution.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Well, you have lots of reasons to support your opinion, and you may be right. Then again, you could be wrong.

I, however, recall this article here wherein Apple describes a very large touch pad for a notebook computer (filed early last year):

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/11145/
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Although the picture at Mac Rumors about the 10" subnotebook is rather likely just someone having the usual fun, it got me thinking.

I remember back when we all saw multitouch (and before, actually) a lot of talk was given to an Apple notebook that used dual-screens so that the keyboard could be entirely configurable.

I still have doubts about the quality of typing on a screen (even though the RDF is strong on that one) but I have to admit a 10" or 11" subnotebook is probably the best positioned to try multitouch out in something beyond a phone.

As subnotebooks are expensive (the, um, good ones?yeah I'm looking at you Palm Foleo) what better way to justify the cost then to make it multitouch and give it tablet like abilities. In a single stroke both tablet and subnotebook fans are satisfied (and slate tablet people can go to the Modbook). The Nintendo DS amply proved inputting on one screen and viewing actions on another do indeed work.

Hopefully a case redesign along the good parts of Intel's concept laptop?most notably the removal of the screen bezel, and it's thinness.

------

I'm not saying it's likely or anything, but I'm now intrigued by the idea.

Awhile ago I was thinking too, and came up with these (rather rushed) mockups. No touch keyboard though, I think QWERTY wil be around for some time yet. But that doesn't mean multitouch can't happen on the screen: allowing teh trackpad to be cut out, removing the bezel on both sides etc.

and a couple more:

map screen.jpg

widgets.jpg
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

I, however, recall this article here wherein Apple describes a very large touch pad for a notebook computer (filed early last year):

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/11145/

Just because Apple patents something doesn't mean that they're going to use it. Examples include the iSight integrated displays for eye-to-eye video conferencing, and the changeable input interfaces, among many other things. Any idea they think is worthwhile and even remotely possible to be used, even if it's 20 years down the line, they'll patent for that off chance they might use it. Even if they probably won't. This is one of those that's going to be on the backburner for a few years.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    As most companies do.

Anyway, hope they come out with it. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. This is also Temporary Insanity so no list of logical reasons why things will not happen will have any influence upon my hope.

My best friend was once given a long list of reasons he would not make it to the age of 17 unless he underwent blah blah therapy and was very lucky. He's 39 and perfectly health now and still wondering why all those professional know-it-alls (aka doctors) were so pessimistic about everything. He never did undergo the therapy.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    We will know tomorrow!

25 hours to go!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    On the subject of tablet computers, I don't see that coming from Apple any time soon. I read a long article from a buyer from a large corporate customer of Apple. They were begging Apple to create a tablet computer and were rebuffed by Steve. Steve thinks of it as too much of a niche product at this point. Wish I could find that article but it was very convincing.

Wait, here it is! http://technology.guardian.co.uk/wee...ticle_continue

"First, he said, tablet computers were not a big enough market for Apple to spend its limited resources chasing. And even if the market grew, it would not reach a size to be of interest. The form factor was all wrong. Apple was more interested in defining markets than trying to catch other companies that were busy trying to create a market for questionable products."

By the way, I think adding touch screen tech to the current laptop form factor is a terrible idea. It's been possible for a while and there is a reason it hasn't been done yet.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    With the multitouch screen in place of the keyboard the tablet functionality would simply be a bonus, and it would not be a slate style tablet which is what that article is referring to.

Ok look I don't think a multitouch screen in place of a keyboard is likely. I think it would be very cool (depending on how the iPhone screen turns out for typing) but not likely.

As to cost? Look at the iPhone's screen. Stick three of them together (roughly speaking) and you have it, and it's not like touch screen are widely expensive?not even good touch screens.

As for the subnotebook? Apple needs a subnotebook if they expect to regain share in Japan (Bergermeister will emphatically back me up on this one, and I'll mention that Japan has a hundred and thirty million people with the world's 16th highest per capita income?Apple should be selling loads of stuff there, and they aren't as they don't have a small enough computer[1]) and I think a lot of other people would like one to. Quite frankly the subnotebook is a huge hole in their product line (along with the much more unlikely xMac and 15" regular MacBook) and I do expect Apple to fill it at some point.

Subnotebook? Yes, if Apple wants to sell computers in Asian countries/business people everywhere. Whether it has a multitouch screen for a keyboard? I don't know.

[1] They also need a phone, which the iPhone fills. However the iPhone currently lacks the following features Japan takes for granted (or will take for granted by early 2008): location services via GPS or tower, mobile TV, e-cash, 3G?although they'll need it anyway as there is not GSM in Japan/South Korea?, better screen, better camera, video calling. In it's favour is a good UI and excellent web browser/email experience plus that big screen would be awesome for one-seg mobile TV. /offtopic
  • Reply 12 of 36
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:

[1] They also need a phone, which the iPhone fills. However the iPhone currently lacks the following features Japan takes for granted (or will take for granted by early 2008): location services via GPS or tower, mobile TV, e-cash, 3G?although they'll need it anyway as there is not GSM in Japan/South Korea?, better screen, better camera, video calling. In it's favour is a good UI and excellent web browser/email experience plus that big screen would be awesome for one-seg mobile TV. /offtopic

It locates with a tower. If it didnt how would it know where you are as it did in the tv spot they have been showing.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    It is theoretically possible to locate via tower triangulation. However the iPhone commercial does not make it clear whether or not they are using tower triangulation or whether the user previously entered his location (we've gone over this a lot in other threads).

We do know the iPhone lacks GPS.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

It locates with a tower. If it didnt how would it know where you are as it did in the tv spot they have been showing.

Just yesterday as I was cruising the mountains near my house in sunny southern Japan, I left tower range for my phone, leaving me without communications, but the map function worked like a charm as it is GPS; it seems to have a basic, built-in map (or at least it has the immediate area around where it lost tower contact). The US is a huge country compared to Japan with lots of open territory not covered by cel towers; you need GPS in your phones.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Yep, I agree with ElectricMonk that Apple has no future in Asia unless they come ou with a smaller notebook for the businessmen in particular and just about anybody, really. Space is a real premium over here. Gadgets are beloved. Money is there. Where are the hot products?

Apple Japan is producing dismal sales. Though quite a bit of blame rests with management and customer service (they both suck), the products Apple produces just don't appeal to the Japanese market enough.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

On the subject of tablet computers, I don't see that coming from Apple any time soon. I read a long article from a buyer from a large corporate customer of Apple. They were begging Apple to create a tablet computer and were rebuffed by Steve. Steve thinks of it as too much of a niche product at this point. Wish I could find that article but it was very convincing.

Wait, here it is! http://technology.guardian.co.uk/wee...ticle_continue

"First, he said, tablet computers were not a big enough market for Apple to spend its limited resources chasing. And even if the market grew, it would not reach a size to be of interest. The form factor was all wrong. Apple was more interested in defining markets than trying to catch other companies that were busy trying to create a market for questionable products."

By the way, I think adding touch screen tech to the current laptop form factor is a terrible idea. It's been possible for a while and there is a reason it hasn't been done yet.

You realize the story was about a conversation that took place in 2002. Five years ago. Like, uh. Stuff changes in that long a time. Just look at AppleTV, in 2002 there wasn't a chance we would see that. In 2006, Steve realized the world was different enough for it to make sense when done the Apple way. Tablets will show up much the same way, whenever Steve thinks it makes sense for the current world, not worrying about what he thought some number of years previously.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Bill Gates said at 'D' "I believe in the tablet form factor", this is the only time I have in living memory where I totally agree with Gates. In 15 years, I'd bet my bottom dollar tablets will be the new notebooks. Give me a powerful 9 or 10" Multi-touch sexy-looking Mac tablet with a well thought out, easy to use UI, and a pop-up software keyboard anyday, over the notebooks of today.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Spent the weekend in Fukuoka, the hottest city near my little humble abode (and home to an Apple Store).

As Apple hasn't released anything worth trying to yank the wife to the Apple Store about in some long time, we visited the Yodabashi Camera store near the main station at Hakata. This store is absolutely huge and has all the latest gadgets (some of which, as you will see, only work in the big cities).

Ok. Just inside the front door a nice young salesman points to a tiny monitor displaying yahoo.co.jp and asks if I want to try it. What is it? A mini computer running Windows Mobile that is only slightly larger than the iPhone. It has a wide screen display, thumb pad for typing, scroll stick, and, well, the kicker: wireless broadband at 3.6 Mbps (sadly available only in certain large metro areas as yet; probably not in my neck of the woods until next century). It can also be connected to a projector for displaying the work you threw together on the train.

http://emobile.jp/products/

The device itself is made by Sharp.

In the five minutes that I was there, five businessmen bought one each. On a Sunday morning at 10:00. They had three units left.

iPhone has a big competitor here, but you still need a phone.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Just curious: how is it that a device designed for the Japanese market doesn't have a katakana keyboard? If Apple can localize the iPhone with a kana keyboard, that should be a pretty big advantage over the Sharp's QWERTY keyboard. With the iPhone keyboard being virtual, that should be fairly easy. As for broadband, in major metro areas, I think I would prefer picking up a wifi hotspot on the iPhone, which should be a lot faster than 3.6Mbps. Doesn't the iPhone have a dock connector like any iPod Video? If it does, it should have S-video and composite outputs, which most projectors support.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

As to cost? Look at the iPhone's screen. Stick three of them together (roughly speaking) and you have it, and it's not like touch screen are widely expensive?not even good touch screens.

If they're so available and not too costly, then why don't more than 2% of computer owners (my guess, on an extremely generous slant) have them? It's not a question of software; the mouse goes and clicks where you touch. We have them at my work, on the registers, and honestly, aside form that and things in stores, like the pet tag engravers, for example, I've never seen touch screens in the real world in a large size. What's keeping people from having this supposedly amazing, incredibly helpful interface?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Bill Gates said at 'D' "I believe in the tablet form factor", this is the only time I have in living memory where I totally agree with Gates. In 15 years, I'd bet my bottom dollar tablets will be the new notebooks. Give me a powerful 9 or 10" Multi-touch sexy-looking Mac tablet with a well thought out, easy to use UI, and a pop-up software keyboard anyday, over the notebooks of today.

15 years? Maybe that'll be when Steve first puts one out there. There is a crap load of work that would have to be done if Apple were to pursue this niche market. Getting the hardware to play well would be one, and Multi-touch would have to be developed massively to be used on a PC scale. They'd also have to find the best materials to use, and knowing Steve, give them time to find the most lightweight components, including waiting for them to be developed and launched.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Doesn't the iPhone have a dock connector like any iPod Video? If it does, it should have S-video and composite outputs, which most projectors support.

Yes, it does. So the iPhone should be able to drop in a dock and play on a TV, or use iPod-developed dock-to-TV cables. Also, the headphone jack could also have the video signal sent out of that, as the iPod has now.