Third Nokia lawsuit accuses Apple of multiple patent violations

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

This is that happens when Nokia can't make a iPhone look alike that they can offer to the customers for free, shit hit's the fan. Nokia will die if they can't come up with something to compete with the iPhone, Palm Pre, Android, and the New Crackberries and oh yes it has to be free.

The bigger these Companies are the harder they fall. Apple has turn the cell phone market upside down, People ether want a iPhone or they want another Smartphone that looks like it and Nokia is not happy.

I think this is exaggerated, but basically on point. This is about Nokia realizing that iPhone is going to become dominant, especially when it moves to other carriers in the US.

I don't know where you're getting "it has to be free" from. That I disagree with. But they can't make an iPhone. They're likely getting impacted already from the iPhone and from other platforms in areas they used to dominate. So...why not sue? I have no idea where this will go legally. Patent law is extremely complex. As I've mentioned, by brother is a former patent examiner and member of the patent bar. I'd be interested to see what he thinks.
  • Reply 82 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Nokia's large portfolio of patents makes them very relevant. Nokia has spent 10s of billions of dollars in R&D on 3G and related technologies.

Apple will owe Nokia royalties... the amount is what is in question.

Nokia was a key developer, yes, over 20 years ago (Which also may bring the point they are attempting to cash out by attacking the new kid on the block with the deepest pockets before their patents become public domain? Maybe?)

But they developed it with someone else and also are part of a consortium.

I had an idea for infared on vehcles back in 1991. Per the new intellectual property laws, I could have patented the general idea and sued cadillac when they put it on their cars a few years later, per your logic, and if I had been wiser at the age of 16 I would have.

Apparently I would be wealthy beyond means now.

The argument of prior art has been made. Also, the fact their patents may be about to expire, I believe has also been made.

Relevance? Apparently their market share doesn't seem to share that opinion or they would not be losing it, nor would they be litigating now, would they?

I would have to say we must agree the term is arbitrary and subject to perspective, as mine most definitely differs from yours.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

62? is what Nokia sells them for, you see I know this concept may be hard for someone of your obtuseness to understand BUT networks BUY handsets off manufacturers then o nsell them to consumers under various terms, including but not limited to being tied to the terms of service of a contract, locked to a network for prepaid use or sold outright without network customisation..

Hmm, I just asked a question, no need to get your k-mart service operator additude out on me.

But then again, I also asked, why did you include the average for all nokia cellphones, not just the smartphones? Afterall you are the one that says you have to compare the iPhone to their smartphones? And anotherthing, you are comparing a wholesale price compared to Apples hybrid price they show?
  • Reply 84 of 85
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I used the price as quoted by Nokia in their financial statement, take it up with Nokia if you don't agree.

What it shows is a decline in their revenue which is quite substantial, they even explain that the decline is due to selling less high end phones and more low end phones.

They are hungry to get their hands on Apples patented IP and I'd say they chose the wrong party to carry out their bullyboy tactics on.

Nokia is now having to face competition from Android phone's e.g. the Nexus may not be an iPhone killer but it is a Nokia slayer.

N900, HTC Touch HD2, Google Nexus, Motorola Droid and SonyEricsson X10 are all very much in the same space.

The N97 is dead to all but the most diehard Nokia fans, as it should be it is awful to use and shows just how badly Nokia misread the market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Hmm, I just asked a question, no need to get your k-mart service operator additude out on me.

But then again, I also asked, why did you include the average for all nokia cellphones, not just the smartphones? Afterall you are the one that says you have to compare the iPhone to their smartphones? And anotherthing, you are comparing a wholesale price compared to Apples hybrid price they show?

• Reply 85 of 85
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I used the price as quoted by Nokia in their financial statement, take it up with Nokia if you don't agree.

I don't have an issue with the number, I have an issue as to why you include the average for all nokia handsets when you are so strongly determined to only compare the iPhone to Nokia's smartphones, so for the third time can you answer that simple question.