Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Wow, I think you just won the "Stupidist post of the decade" award

Some people liked it.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Some people liked it.

Maybe people that don't have any geography knowledge at all.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    Nokia isn't going anywhere. Their US presence is garbage, but worldwide is their market. They'll be fine.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:

That's three words, and which company are you talking about? Both Apple and Nokia have models of phones 100% subsidised by operators.

100% subsidized? That's news to me. Of course, that may be because I live in the US, where carriers treat Apple like crap, yet expect the revenues that come from the iPhone. I know some very basic Nokia models are subsidized completely, but the higher end ones aren't AT ALL. So I don't really know where you get "cheap and free" from.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

100% subsidized? That's news to me. Of course, that may be because I live in the US, where carriers treat Apple like crap, yet expect the revenues that come from the iPhone. I know some very basic Nokia models are subsidized completely, but the higher end ones aren't AT ALL. So I don't really know where you get "cheap and free" from.

Yes there are several operators around the world fully subsidising the iPhone. And I didn't get "cheap and free" from anywhere, that was someone else.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

A perpetual motion machine is one of the few things you can not patent...

Actually, the requirement is that if you wish to patent a perpetual motion machine, the USPTO requires that you submit a working example.

Now, since you can't make a working example of a perpetual motion machine without violating at least a couple of laws of thermodynamics, you can therefore not submit said example with your application, and therefore you can't patent it. But if you could, then you could. If you get what I'm trying to say. \
  • Reply 47 of 85
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Maybe people that don't have any geography knowledge at all.

In modern Finnish, noki means soot and nokia is its inflected plural, although this form of the word is rarely if ever used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia

Are you referring to a town name after soot?
  • Reply 48 of 85
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Nokia isn't going anywhere. Their US presence is garbage, but worldwide is their market. They'll be fine.

The single biggest field of profit growth is China.

Nokia will lose it's ass in China.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Apparently not, or else they would not be asking the ITC to ban imports of the iPhone and it's hardware.

Nokia has lost market share, as had already been stated repeatedly, but they are also seeing the writing on the wall, which is that they cannot compete in a market where people are willing to pay an exhorbitant amount for the media appliance that it the iPhone, so rather than compete, they just want to make it go away.

They're going to have to figure out this isn't a DT induced hallucination and that the world doesn't work that way. It will be a hard lesson for them and they will spend millions of dollars on legal fees to lose, and they will lose, but whatever. They're no longer relevant anyway.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This week, Rick Simonson, Nokia's executive vice president, spoke with India's The Economic Times and said his company hopes to be "at par" with Apple and RIM in smartphone sales by 2011.

Hey Rick, my ONLY question is this... Is 'at par' in sales (with Apple and RIM) riding on the hopes that you get some nutnick judge to ban the sale and/or importation of all Apple products?
  • Reply 51 of 85
    Quote:

In modern Finnish, noki means soot and nokia is its inflected plural, although this form of the word is rarely if ever used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia

Are you referring to a town name after soot?

So the word is really used, yet you get that conclusion?
  • Reply 52 of 85
    Quote:

Yes there are several operators around the world fully subsidising the iPhone. And I didn't get "cheap and free" from anywhere, that was someone else.

That was me

Semantics, semantics...

Cheap as in the phone is a "dumbphone"

Free as in Nokias are given away by carriers.

(Conjunctions don't count, in this case)

In the U.S., the iPhone is currently subsidized heavily but not free.

Nevertheless, that's not my main point. When your phone is literally given away by a large share of carriers around the world, it's a little pointless to say "Oh, they have huge market share, therefore Nokia phones MUST be good." No, they just happen to be the phone that has been settled on as having the lowest common denominator of features for people who just want to make calls.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The single biggest field of profit growth is China.

Nokia will lose it's ass in China.

Nokia supports TD-SCDMA, how is Apple's support of that going?
  • Reply 54 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

That was me

Semantics, semantics...

Cheap as in the phone is a "dumbphone"

Free as in Nokias are given away by carriers.

(Conjunctions don't count, in this case)

In the U.S., the iPhone is currently subsidized heavily but not free.

Nevertheless, that's not my main point. When your phone is literally given away by a large share of carriers around the world, it's a little pointless to say "Oh, they have huge market share, therefore Nokia phones MUST be good." No, they just happen to be the phone that has been settled on as having the lowest common denominator of features for people who just want to make calls.

So from now on we don't count iPhone sales in countries that fully subsidisie it?
  • Reply 55 of 85
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Thinking about this some more...

Imagine if Apple decided to actively pursue the 'dumb-phone' market with a really compelling device that could be a stepping stone to a full fledged iPhone and could build it cheap enough that it would be offered FREE to any/all new subscribers...

I think the cell phone industry would SHIT.

And.... isn't this exactly what they did with the MP3 player market?

Intro a high end device that was priced far above most MP3 players of the day and then gobble up the low end after they had built their reputation.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    What with phones becoming more like computers, and Apple being at the forefront of computing for 25+ years, I can't help but feel Apple have more than just a couple of patents to hit em with. Dangerous game Nokia are playing IMO.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

A perpetual motion machine is one of the few things you can not patent...

Why? If you design a working one then why can't you patent it?

Oh that's right. The oil companies.
  • Reply 58 of 85
    howlhowl Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

with a drunk Finn. They're crazy!

Isn't drunk Finn is redundant?
  • Reply 59 of 85
    Quote:

In response to your glaring ignorance, Nokia is the name of a town in Finland. Ever hear of a map, or even a encyclopedia?
  • Reply 60 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Thinking about this some more...

Imagine if Apple decided to actively pursue the 'dumb-phone' market with a really compelling device that could be a stepping stone to a full fledged iPhone and could build it cheap enough that it would be offered FREE to any/all new subscribers...

I think the cell phone industry would SHIT.

And.... isn't this exactly what they did with the MP3 player market?

Intro a high end device that was priced far above most MP3 players of the day and then gobble up the low end after they had built their reputation.

i would love that...specially because that would vaporize nokia...