Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 121 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I have also read that the primary reason they switched to plastic wasn't to save money, but to get a better signal. If you notice the 2G case has a bit of plastic, where the receiving end is.

I have read a lot of stuff too, like that the Apple logo is mirrored to double as a mirror for woman applying lipstick. You hear a lot of crap here and there. You hear what you want to hear.
  • Reply 122 of 257
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple calls it OS X touch then I predicted that.

Cool, and if so I'll be the first to congratulate you. I, (like many others) suspect that this tablet will run a device specific implementation of the iPhone OS. I have no idea what they'll call it, but I reckon it won't include "X."

I think that because, as I've talked about elsewhere, I believe Apple intends this device to be a ground up rethink of a "personal computer", one that largely abandons desktop OS X's UI metaphors for a new kind of information appliance, single app at a time, the-device-becomes- what-you're-doing-with-it-at-the-moment approach.

It's funny, because all the information we need is right there on the iPhone, hiding in plain sight. It's just that people can't get past the idea that the iPhone OS is a "lesser" OS because it was tailored to a hardware constrained device. Take those same ideas and apply them to a much more capable device, and I think you get something really startling.
  • Reply 123 of 257
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    we've had this discussion on the forums months ago. There is a great debate going on about what the UI and OS will be for this device. Some say OSX mobile. Some say iPhone OS 4.0. It's an interesting debate that i'm sure is the primary reason why it has taken so long for this device to be finally unveiled to the public.

If the device is OSX Mobile, then typing (like on this forum) would be very cumbersome.

a. you would have to place the tablet on your lap or on a table with enough of a tilt to see the screen behind all that shinny glass. So the UI is the most important key to making the OSX option viable. If you look at the history of AI's posts you'll find a posting about a patent for specialized touch function Apple invented in 2008. It's compelling and interesting, but it still doesn't solve the problem of how tough it would be to type. most people will probably buy this device just to use on the sofa, or on a plane or during a commute. Just think about how anoying it is to type on the iPhone right now, that now scale up the iphone by 3 and you have a more difficult issue typing.

Sure not everyone will be using this device for going on chats or forums or emailing or writing their memoirs, but those that think typing on this will be a snap are dead wrong. So UI will be important to control the comfort.

Now, if the tablet is just a scaled up iPhone, there are some issues with that as well. Most notably is price point. If it's just a scaled up touch/phone, then you'd have to price is at a range where the most anyone can afford it, or it will defenately go the way of the MacBook Air and the ATV. A niche product to show-off to your poor friends. There's also the problem of the people that already have the iPhone or Touch that be not want this device because it's too similar to what they have (like me). And so on.

Whatever it ends up being, i'm really anxious to see it. I'm really waiting to make judgement until i see it though. Reading and speculating is such fun that i almost wish they'd just give us a hint next week. like show what it looks like and then put it away for another 6 months. Almost like watching LOST. Good times!
  • Reply 124 of 257
    Quote:

If Apple calls it iPad, "we know who" predicted that.
  • Reply 125 of 257
    Quote:

we've had this discussion on the forums months ago. There is a great debate going on about what the UI and OS will be for this device. Some say OSX mobile. Some say iPhone OS 4.0. It's an interesting debate that i'm sure is the primary reason why it has taken so long for this device to be finally unveiled to the public.

If the device is OSX Mobile, then typing (like on this forum) would be very cumbersome.

a. you would have to place the tablet on your lap or on a table with enough of a tilt to see the screen behind all that shinny glass. So the UI is the most important key to making the OSX option viable. If you look at the history of AI's posts you'll find a posting about a patent for specialized touch function Apple invented in 2008. It's compelling and interesting, but it still doesn't solve the problem of how tough it would be to type. most people will probably buy this device just to use on the sofa, or on a plane or during a commute. Just think about how anoying it is to type on the iPhone right now, that now scale up the iphone by 3 and you have a more difficult issue typing.

Sure not everyone will be using this device for going on chats or forums or emailing or writing their memoirs, but those that think typing on this will be a snap are dead wrong. So UI will be important to control the comfort.

Now, if the tablet is just a scaled up iPhone, there are some issues with that as well. Most notably is price point. If it's just a scaled up touch/phone, then you'd have to price is at a range where the most anyone can afford it, or it will defenately go the way of the MacBook Air and the ATV. A niche product to show-off to your poor friends. There's also the problem of the people that already have the iPhone or Touch that be not want this device because it's too similar to what they have (like me). And so on.

Whatever it ends up being, i'm really anxious to see it. I'm really waiting to make judgement until i see it though. Reading and speculating is such fun that i almost wish they'd just give us a hint next week. like show what it looks like and then put it away for another 6 months. Almost like watching LOST. Good times!

But, see, thinking that a larger device running a variant of the iPhone OS would be "just a scaled up iPhone" misunderstands what's going on, IMO.

The iPhone OS isn't rinky dink or crippled, it's just matched to the hardware. Better hardware, more capabilities. It's not lesser than desktop OS X, it's just different, based on different I/O parameters.
  • Reply 126 of 257
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

If it can't do anything more than my iPhone, explain to me- Why Do I Want This?

So you can use it in *$'s.
  • Reply 127 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You?re been saying it?ll have the Mac moniker and that it?ll run Mac apps. Saying it?s based on the same umbrella term and platform of ?OS X? is not anything that needs predicting because Jobs said that about the AppleTV and the iPhone. They?re all based on OS X, but they are NOT Macs.
  • Reply 128 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't buy the design. Certainly not an alu back. The thing will spend most of its time lying on its back getting scratched up. There will be some other material on the back side. Also don't buy the OSX interface.

An Aluminium back with rubber feet?
  • Reply 129 of 257
    I found this while reading some digg post... look like it could be it:

http://netputing.com/2010/01/21/poss...of-apple-ipad/

Even look like it has an aluminum back. Not sure what the other button on the left is...
  • Reply 130 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You?re been saying it?ll have the Mac moniker and that it?ll run Mac apps. Saying it?s based on the same umbrella term and platform of ?OS X? is not anything that needs predicting because Jobs said that about the AppleTV and the iPhone. They?re all based on OS X, but they are NOT Macs.

Well this is different, to me.
  • Reply 131 of 257
    Quote:

Well this is different, to me.

Whoa, hold on, where'd the hat eating sig go? I've got a hat in the ring (but the concept's too hard to condense to a single line). I believe there are others?

If there was ever an Apple product roll-out that called for mass hat eating, this is it, so I hope you're still in.
  • Reply 132 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmaltais View Post

Even look like it has an aluminum back. Not sure what the other button on the left is...

the button on the left is the home button. the object on the right is not a button. this also means that this could possibly be real (though i'm not saying it is), because we're not looking at the edge that would have the docking port that the author of the post claims is "missing."
  • Reply 133 of 257
    Lets not forget what the invitation looks like guys. It's a bunch of colored paint spots on a rounded corner thin border. "Latest Creation" is used in the invite. Whatever this thing is, they are basically suggesting that it will be a creation device. The iPhone and iPod are not really creation devices, they are more like consumption devices. Sure there are some creation apps (photo apps, productivity, ect) but I have a hard time believing this tablet won't be used for creating art.

I feel like a lot of you are forgetting that Apple is a company that has always served the art community, from desktop publishing to video editing, photo editing, music creation and so on.

I think this is going to act more like a full blown mac. It may not run Snow Leopard, but it's clearly more then just an oversized ipod for media consumption.

Get back to the basics for a minute, what the heck is a tablet good for? Reading and writing/drawing. If it's going to be nothing more than just an oversized ipod or a touch screen macbook, then it adds nothing to the product line. It isn't really anything new, it's just something old with a new UI.

I'm still predicting stylus support. Not as it's main form of input, but definitely as an option.
  • Reply 134 of 257
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

This would be acceptable. And no, I don't want it to have a home button either.

The reason there was a home button on the original iPhone in the first place was because Apple didn't trust the software.

A home button is necessary because software doesn't always work right no matter how hard devs work on it. And on the small form factor of the iPhone the home button design works. For a tablet though I would like to see the home button moved off the face of the unit and moved to the sides out of the way. And the bezel should be eliminated or minimized.

I'm hoping and praying that Jon Ive is actually thinking about what kind of advanced design can be used for this tablet.

If he just phones it in and just does a giant iPhone then I'm going to be VERY disappointed.
  • Reply 135 of 257
    HI

The physical design will coming soon and it will be easy to do.

James Parker.

Penny Auction
  • Reply 136 of 257
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmaltais View Post

If this is a fake, it's a good fake.

It appears to have two home buttons!

C.
  • Reply 137 of 257
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I'd like to ask all "artists" at once one and the same question...

They do realize why iPhone needs all case holes, which it has, and why tablet isn't going to?
  • Reply 138 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

the button on the left is the home button. the object on the right is not a button. this also means that this could possibly be real (though i'm not saying it is), because we're not looking at the edge that would have the docking port that the author of the post claims is "missing."

Do you have your left and right mixed up? The button on the right (near) end looks absolutely like a home button, with the rounded square symbol. The symbol is not visible for the left (far) end, I don't know how it's not a button, it has the same indentation as the clearly visible home button.

Quote:

I have also read that the primary reason they switched to plastic wasn't to save money, but to get a better signal. If you notice the 2G case has a bit of plastic, where the receiving end is.

Quote:

I have read a lot of stuff too, like that the Apple logo is mirrored to double as a mirror for woman applying lipstick. You hear a lot of crap here and there. You hear what you want to hear.

I can't find good info on where the antennae are. I wonder if it was more for looks, metal back with a plastic end looked a little odd to me.
  • Reply 139 of 257
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple always takes a minimalist approach to design, so it's not hard to guess what it will look like. I'm more looking forward to seeing what the UI is. And whether the engineers somehow got it as thin as the Air.
  • Reply 140 of 257
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Personally, I'd like Prince to rename his first piece into something like "a history of tablet computing: on the eve of tablets" and to present us part 2 being an overview of the evolution of tablet computers and readers.

I'd like Prince to actually write a history of the tablet in the first place as opposed to the history of the pda.