Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 81 of 257
    The software is the key, and for my interest, how well the handwriting recognition works. I would love to be able to take electronic, handwritten notes. I generate pages of handwritten notes a day during phone conferences - and I can do that automatically while paying attention to the conversation. Typing notes with two hands on a keyboard is distracting.

E-reader, note taker with quick and easy handwriting recognition, mobile web surfer, plus all the cloud computing features of the iPhone (email, calendar, SMS, iTunes) -- that would be a killer device IMHO.
  • Reply 82 of 257
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I agree Solipsism that a completely new OS is very unlikely.

My recommendation would be that there will be a UI framework distinct for the phone, and the tablet. UIKit currently drives the iPhone's interface. If Apple creates a new version for the tablet, that could work. Then you choose: develop for iPhone or Tablet.

Technically, it's not a new OS. The core will still be iPhone. But the UI will be run by a separate framework to UIKit.

This is my estimation as a developer. It makes the most sense to me.
  • Reply 83 of 257
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

it's a convertible laptop.

From my memory of buying a tablet a couple of years ago, the picture you commented on shows a convertible tablet, but not a slate tablet.
  • Reply 84 of 257
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Obviously Apple is copying this:

Innovative my ass.

Right down to the pin hole camera lens

• Reply 85 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're wrong.

Partially both, the middle back is flat vertically about 75% of the height, but it is curved horizontally. To some people, it might look flat in the middle, but it's a broad curve. It's easier to tell when you place a straightedge or ruler against the back.
  • Reply 86 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I can't see an iPad being as thin as an iPhone. It'd be too thin for a device that big.

Holding it for long periods of time would induce pain in the area between the thumb and pointing finger. The underside of the device wouldn't be able to rest on the entire surface of the palm, resting only on the tips of the four fingers, which would also act as a fulcrum with most of the opposing weight pushing up on the meaty part of the thumb/pointing finger junction.

Try it. Grab a hardcover book about the same dimensions as the purported iPad to see what I'm talking about. And don't forget to "type" on the screen. Give it 30 seconds for your wrist to get sore.

It'd either have to be thicker or provide some kind of crazy handle/palm rest underneath.

For me, that is the key hurdle that makes this announcement so interesting.

From my experience of tablets, there are few ergonomically valid positions where a tablet is comfortable and this should fail.

From my experience of Apple, they can make devices work when no-one else could.

This unstoppable force will meet its immovable object on the 27th.
  • Reply 87 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How did you arrive at such an oddly specific dimension?

The first iPhone is 11.6mm, LOL.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

From a useability standpoint, I think a curved back would be a mistake. Not saying Apple won't do it, but if you tap anything off center when it's resting on a table, you'll rock the device. It happens with iPhone, but iPhone is meant to be hand held, I don't expect a large tablet to be held the same way.

Yes, but if the included pop-out rest that I have been banging on about for the last two years is included the device would rest steady on any flat surface at say 17º. This is the key hardware feature I have been continually saying the tablet needs to be a practical device. The mostly curved back is there for when the rest is in its closed position, so the tablet is nicer to hold on the couch. It would be aesthetically more pleasing also.
  • Reply 88 of 257
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

From my memory of buying a tablet a couple of years ago, the picture you commented on shows a convertible tablet, but not a slate tablet.

A tablet is a tablet, a "convertible tablet" is a laptop that converts into a tablet part time. i.e. - a convertible laptop and not really a tablet at all. These devices are primarily designed as and used as laptops, but they have a capability to mimic a tablet.
  • Reply 89 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

And more seriously: DaHarder, if you want to be taken seriously and not just come off like another silly troll (not that it's entirely clear that you do, but, you know, benefit of the doubt and all), you really need to do better than point to a flat screen with a bezel and chant "Neener neener neener, Apple is a copycat."

I agree, I would not take the stance that it's not a copy of the HP's form. There are similarities, but there is only so much you can diverge from the basic rectangular screen with a bezel. I'm sure it's possible to make a non-rectangular screen, the costs are probably too high and with minimal benefit. I bet the HP isn't Multitouch either, so there's something new, I don't think any tablet or tablet-like device is multitouch yet.

It isn't anything like the SuperShuffle vs. Apple shuffle where an exact combination of color, dimensions and radii were used from Apple's version to the Taiwanese knock-off with almost no changes, they changed the button on front and added a slider on the back.
  • Reply 90 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]It does very little to substantiate your argument when all you do is resort to name-calling and (random) insults.

Again: If you fail to recognize the aesthetic similarities between the two devices in question... No Problem, but it doesn't diminish the fact that it does exist.

Now Feel Free To Move Along.[/CENTER]

You don't know what you're talking about. I've been a practicing designer and studied design for years and years.

You've said about five times now on this thread that the design similarities are obvious, yet beyond the fact that they are both square screens you have yet to elucidate what they are.

I've also been here long enough to know that you use this tactic over and over again in your posts. You always use this argument that what you see is "obvious" and if others can't see it they are blind. Then you imply that the other person is just saying something over and over and hoping it to be true, when in fact this is precisely what you are doing.

I've decided that you must just be joking or that you are seriously f*cked up in the head. The centred text lends the later explanation more weight, but I don't care anymore.

Adding to ignore list in 3, 2, 1 ...
  • Reply 91 of 257
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

A tablet is a tablet, a "convertible tablet" is a laptop that converts into a tablet part time. i.e. - a convertible laptop and not really a tablet at all. These devices are primarily designed as and used as laptops, but they have a capability to mimic a tablet.

[CENTER]Actually...

The Hp/Compaq TC1XXX was/is a tablet/slate computer with a fully detachable keyboard, which made it rather unique in the marketplace.

The More You Know... [/CENTER]
  • Reply 92 of 257
    Quote:

I know what you mean, but those are the terms used when you buy the PC versions of these computers. Slate and convertible being types of tablet computer.

Personally, I like 'slab'. Reminds me of chocolate.
  • Reply 93 of 257
    Quote:

You're wrong.

I know you are, but what am I?
  • Reply 94 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I agree Solipsism that a completely new OS is very unlikely.

My recommendation would be that there will be a UI framework distinct for the phone, and the tablet. UIKit currently drives the iPhone's interface. If Apple creates a new version for the tablet, that could work. Then you choose: develop for iPhone or Tablet.

Technically, it's not a new OS. The core will still be iPhone. But the UI will be run by a separate framework to UIKit.

This is my estimation as a developer. It makes the most sense to me.

If you an entirely different UI with a completely different set of drivers, varying frameworks and foundations that aren?t needed from another device then it?s not a different flavour OS. By the reckoning that the core is the same then AppleTV OS, Mac OS and iPhone are the same OS because they use Darwin and certain fall under the OS X umbrella. My money is on this being a bulkier OS than iPhone OS and having a distinct name.

PS: I have to assume that with the emergence of the iPhone OS being so lightweight that the next AppleTV OS will be based on it, rather than Mac OS X.
  • Reply 95 of 257
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Obviously Apple is copying this:

Innovative my ass.

[CENTER]Copying = No

Using As Inspiration = Definitely!

(after all it is 'arguably' the original slate)

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 96 of 257
    Quote:

I bet you guys $1M is isn't thinner than 11.6mm at its thickest point. These guys are guessing, they haven't seen it. It will be aluminum and "shaped" more like the 3G. These guys are basically suggesting it won't have a curved back, and I think their "guess" is wrong.

I think it will be much thinner. The original iPhone had to put stack everything on top of itself. Namely the battery and logic board, but with a tablet a sold 8x the size yet still likely running ARM and a lot of the same internal parts of the iPhone and Touch, with some exceptions, they can separate everything better. I’d be happier with a 11.6mm device as it would mean a larger battery, which is always good. Of course, the battery can be heavy and quickly increase the weight and perhaps might be overkill for what I think the device will be so I’m going more with the iPod Touch’s 8.5mmm but increasing my guess to an even 9.0mm.

PS: I won’t eat a hat if I’m wrong.
  • Reply 97 of 257
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it will be much thinner. The original iPhone had to put stack everything on top of itself. Namely the battery and logic board, but with a tablet a sold 8x the size yet still likely running ARM and a lot of the same internal parts of the iPhone and Touch, with some exceptions, they can separate everything better. I?d be happier with a 11.6mm device as it would mean a larger battery, which is always good. Of course, the battery can be heavy and quickly increase the weight and perhaps might be overkill for what I think the device will be so I?m going more with the iPod Touch?s 8.5mmm but increasing my guess to an even 9.0mm.

PS: I won?t eat a hat if I?m wrong.

More room to play = more space to shove new stuff, like maybe mini display port?
  • Reply 98 of 257
    Was anyone expecting it to be different?

I've only seen really one other design that had any hope of being done... that was the one that had the home button on the longer side so as to cause the screen to be offset to the side for one handed holding comfort.

There really isn't any other option that would make sense is there? Unless you believe the transparent screen silliness.
  • Reply 99 of 257
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it will be much thinner. The original iPhone had to put stack everything on top of itself. Namely the battery and logic board, but with a tablet a sold 8x the size yet still likely running ARM and a lot of the same internal parts of the iPhone and Touch, with some exceptions, they can separate everything better. I’d be happier with a 11.6mm device as it would mean a larger battery, which is always good. Of course, the battery can be heavy and quickly increase the weight and perhaps might be overkill for what I think the device will be so I’m going more with the iPod Touch’s 8.5mmm but increasing my guess to an even 9.0mm.

PS: I won’t eat a hat if I’m wrong.

Oh, come on Solipsism, hat eating is what all the cool kids are doing!

Tell you what: if the tablet doesn't extend the iPhone OS modal computing environment as a credible laptop replacement for the majority of users, I'll my and your hat both.

Yes, I'm link-baiting back to a thread I started on a topic I'm interested in, on account of the shamelessness.
  • Reply 100 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

More room to play = more space to shove new stuff, like maybe mini display port?

I would like to see a locking mDP port instead of the 8 year old 30-pin Dock Connector port.. That port is big. Yeah, yeah yeah! It?s not small. No, no, no! On the other hand, DisplayPort can push better than USB2.0 speeds maxing out at ~750Mbps.

Okay, maybe not, but if they were going to start to implement a new data/power port standard into their device then I?d think it would be best to do it with a tablet instead of with an iPod or iPhone which already use the well weathered connector.