Steve Jobs disparages Google, Adobe at company meeting - reports

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Numerous reports have alleged that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs discredited Google's "don't be evil" mantra as bogus and predicted the demise of Adobe Flash at an internal company meeting.

A number of outlets received supposed second-hand reports from Apple's "town hall" style meeting with employees last week. While exact quotes vary depending on the source, the message Jobs had about Google remained essentially the same.

An anonymous source who contacted Wired claimed Jobs used an expletive to refer to Google's "don't be evil" philosophy. But that quote was disputed by someone who reached out to Daring Fireball's John Gruber. The exact quote from Jobs, the source alleged, was "Don't be evil is a load of crap."

Wired also reported that Jobs believes Google, which is behind the Android mobile operating system, wants to "kill" the iPhone.

Though there have been rumors of tension between Google and Apple for months, last month Google CEO Eric Schmidt, who formerly served on the Apple Board of Directors, downplayed any perception of a rivalry between the two technology giants. Schmidt said he has a "special spot" in his heart for Apple.

It was Google's entrance into the mobile phone space with Android, as well as its forthcoming Chrome OS for netbooks, that forced Schmidt to resign from Apple's board. Apple and Google were the subjects of an investigation from the Federal Trade Commission over potential antitrust ties.

As for Adobe, Wired's source said Jobs called the company "lazy." He allegedly said most Mac crashes are due to Flash, and "the world is moving to HTML5." The latter comment is consistent with Apple's own public moves toward HTML5. Even Google has dabbled with Flash alternatives for YouTube.

"They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it," Jobs was paraphrased as saying. "They don't do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon."

But Daring Fireball's source also said that Jobs was not entirely negative on the subject of Adobe. The executive was reportedly "nostalgic" about the old days of the company.

Finally, MacRumors received a number of additional details from a source who claimed to be in attendance in at the meeting. As with all other reports, the details come from an anonymous source:

Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with.

iPad is up there with the iPhone and Mac as the most important products Jobs has been a part of (this is consistent with a previous quote attributed to Jobs).

Regarding the Lala acquisition, Apple was interested in bringing those people into the iTunes team.

Next iPhone coming is an A+ update.

New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level.

Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 247
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Adobe is a really sad company, cant believe they're going to just sit on flash as it is currently, its an old archaic technology that needs serious revamping.
  • Reply 2 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Google CEO Eric Schmidt, who formally served on the Apple Board of Directors...

don't you mean formerly? At times this site is pretty sad.
  • Reply 3 of 247
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    The man is on point...
  • Reply 4 of 247
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.

I doubt we will ever see BlueRay DVD playback on the Mac.

The reason for this is Steve wants to reduce the mechanical and replaceable parts of computer so they are reduced down to a single simple logic board, assembled and pressed together by machines.

Less fuss, less trouble, less returns or repairs under warranty. If a device like a iPad fails, it's simply replaced and not repaired.

He's also not allowing third party software like Flash that he says is "bug prone" neither.

So we see where he is going, giving the movie studios their hardware lock again, BlueRay disks are vulnerable to hairline cracking, in my experience.

The new Mac's he's talking about, are going to be based upon the iPad like design, thin and all sealed up with new A4 processors and a external optional Superdrive.

I don't think he will port the iPhone/iPad UI over to Mac's though.

So last chance this year of getting a Intel based Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 247
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Jobs is absolutely right. Especially about Flash. YouTube and Vimeo are already transitioning to HTML5.
  • Reply 6 of 247
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Jobs is absolutely right. Especially about Flash. YouTube and Vimeo are already transitioning to HTML5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

...So we see where he is going, and BlueRay disks are vulnerable to cracking, in my experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

The man is on point...

No kool-aid for me!

Steve Jobs is a genious but Apple cannot survive without Adobe, Google, or Blu-ray IMHO.
  • Reply 7 of 247
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:

The reason for this is Steve wants to reduce the mechanical and replaceable parts of computer so they are reduced down to a single simple logic board, assembled and pressed together by machines.

Less fuss, less trouble, less returns or repairs under warranty. If a device like a iPad fails, it's simply replaced and not repaired.

He's also not allowing third party software like Flash that he says is "bug prone" neither.

So we see where he is going, giving the movie studios their hardware lock again, BlueRay disks are vulnerable to hairline cracking, in my experience.

I think you missed the boat- Steve Jobs wants to you buy anything and everything from his iTunes store plantation from now on. He's trying to kill FLASH for that very reason in that it competes with his game sales on iTunes, Blu-ray competes with his low grade HD movies at iTunes, etc , etc. There is a method to his greed- say one thing, mean another.
  • Reply 8 of 247
    Quote:

And I doubt we will ever see anyone be consistent with the technology's name. It's "Blu-ray Disc" Capital "B", no "e", hyphen, lowercase "ray" and the word "Disc". It has never been referred to as any kind of "DVD". Save yourself the trouble and use the short TLA BR-D.
  • Reply 9 of 247
    granted I'm not a Photoshop user...but I shy away from all of Adobe's products just as I shy away from Microsoft's software. (And Google's for that matter-except search)

I used to have Adobe Elements and man oh man did it take a long to time to open. Now I just use Apple's software and if it can't do something Adobe can do....I just simply don't do it!

I use PDF Shrink and PDF pen for all my PDF documents. But most of the time Apple's Preview fits the bill.

From what I see/read of Flash. It does sound like it's old, buggy and not up to Apple's standards....
  • Reply 10 of 247
    While it is always interesting to hear some insider leaks about commentary they heard during one of these town hall meetings, I wonder if Apple would be seeking to root out sources of such leaks? I mean, didn't this site report not too long ago about how draconian Apple was about stuff, and yet here we have supposedly first party accounts about internal communication by the CEO to the staff of Apple. It makes one wonder what entices people to violate company confidentiality, especially under the guise of anonymous (which means your name is not glorified by your leak). Is the relatively small attention you receive by doing this worht losing your job? Just musing.
  • Reply 11 of 247
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I think you missed the boat- Steve Jobs wants to you buy anything and everything from his iTunes store plantation from now on. He's trying to kill FLASH for that very reason in that it competes with his game sales on iTunes, Blu-ray competes with his low grade HD movies at iTunes, etc , etc. There is a method to his greed- say one thing, mean another.

Are you saying that Apple is more concerned with profits than with making great technology for all of us?
  • Reply 12 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Now I just use Apple's software and if it can't do something Adobe can do....I just simply don't do it!

That's the spirit! You are perfect.
  • Reply 13 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

It makes one wonder what entices people to violate company confidentiality,

I have heard, but don't really know, that Apple treats many employees very badly.
  • Reply 14 of 247
    Quote:

Really? In my experience, I've found that Blu-ray discs seem to be more durable than standard DVD discs.
  • Reply 15 of 247
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

No kool-aid for me!

Steve Jobs is a genious but Apple cannot survive without Adobe, Google, or Blu-ray IMHO.

I think you're getting these relationships confused.

Apple is selling more Macs in a recession (record numbers.) All without Blu-ray drives.

Jobs' issue with Adobe is about Flash, not Photoshop and the rest of their bloatware.

There is nothing restricting the use of Google's mish-mash of internet services on the iPhone or any other Apple device. And if Apple ever comes up with their own Maps solution and it works well (why wouldn't it?) then there's still no problem.
  • Reply 16 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

That's the spirit! You are perfect.

Well I wouldn't go that far. Although, I do have "matinee idol looks!'
  • Reply 17 of 247
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    "Next iPhone coming is an A+ update."

I wonder if that means an Apple ARM chip or just an odd paraphrasing.

"New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level."

I hope that finally means the removal of the optical drive from notebooks.

Quote:

Even with Flash 10.1 coming to mobile platforms sometime this year the ability to play videos will still be an issue. Taking all bets on how long before Hulu announces the transition to HTML5 and/or offers app for mobile apps stores.
  • Reply 18 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Wow, TEKkie, man can you go off on a tangent. How exactly does Flash compete with App Store games? It doesn't - two completely different classes of games. Flash is completely available to Mac user on the computing systems (laptops and desktops), Blu-ray doesn't compete with with iTunes movies, as it is a very small part of the current media supply lines and the media companies are already looking ahead of Blu-ray technology to the next big thing. The whole driver for these "deeper content" technologies is to get you to re-purchase content you already have. Can you be any more spectacularly obtuse on these technologies?
  • Reply 19 of 247
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Are you saying that Apple is more concerned with profits than with making great technology for all of us?

No.But look at their gross margin at look at the history of the iPod- it certainly became a cash cow conduit for selling music, etc and at a fixed price which Apple now hypocritically bemoans that Amazon is doing presently with book pricing.
  • Reply 20 of 247
    Quote:

I think you're getting these relationships confused.

Apple is selling more Macs in a recession (record numbers.) All without Blu-ray drives.

Jobs' issue with Adobe is about Flash, not Photoshop and the rest of their bloatware.

There is nothing restricting the use of Google's mish-mash of internet services on the iPhone or any other Apple device. And if Apple ever comes up with their own Maps solution and it works well (why wouldn't it?) then there's still no problem.

Best quote of the day...that is exactly how I would describe google's sw offerings right now, 'Mish-Mash!' As opposed to Apples offerings of tightly integrated sw and hardware. I take a video on my iPhone of my girlfriend's stupid, overfed, undersexed cat 'falling' out of a tree, post it on MobileMe and my AppleTV...in 3 minutes using iMovie...'Announce' to my daughter who is living in St. Maarten and my GF is watching it on my AppleTV inside 5 minutes....talk about ease of use and integration!

Ps. For iGenius: 'SW' is an abbreviation for 'software!'