'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

User error? Design flaw? Neither.

So many people are totally unaware of a thing called "manufacturing error".

(Apple does not manufacture *ANY* iPhone. Never has. Never will.)

The simple reason why 1000s of phones have this problem... and 100000s do NOT:

The company that builds the phone (not Apple) let a small number of phones slip through quality-control inspections.

*ALL* iPhone4s should have an insulating coating on the antenna.... but a small percent of them were accidentally shipped without it.

Here's an instant 3/8" solution for a few cents at your local store:

http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Wing-Bands.html

Or is it that humans are not created equal regarding the way they hold their iPhone 4?
  • Reply 142 of 171
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We don't think the antenna issue is that big of a deal where it would warrant a product recall," Wu wrote. "The reason is that most users have a case anyway to protect their iPhone and to customize to their personal preferences.

I do not have the case, and 70% of the people with iPhone I see in Germany have neither.
  • Reply 143 of 171
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally...

I'd rather they had better designed/engineered the device prior to release, as opposed to this (proposed) half-hearted 'fix'.

I'm so sick of this idiotic opinion. "Gee, if they could just make it BETTER...I'm so sick of this crap. Stupid Apple."

The entire thing is overblown and made worse by a minor software issue. In fact, the whole thing is taken care of by a bumper or case, which most people will get anyway. Yawn.
  • Reply 144 of 171
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

What we've seen over the past 36 hours is a perfect example of how the internet, bloggers, and message boards can turn a mountain into a mole hill.

Wow, when you mess up an idiom it can really sound silly. I assume you meant "turn a molehill into a mountain", or more correctly "MAKE a mountain out of a molehill" - both of which obviously mean exactly the opposite of what you actually said...
  • Reply 145 of 171
    Toyota is following to see how Apple handles this so they can learn for their next SNAFU.
  • Reply 146 of 171
    there's a very funny video about this topic, you have to see it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU
  • Reply 147 of 171
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

there's a very funny video about this topic, you have to see it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU

LOL I love this video!! It shows that Apple and Steve himself hold the phone the natural way it fits in your hand is the wrong way....You just can't defend this design flaw....

The Whole keynote presentation they help the phone the exact way everyone else does nad it looses signal if you do it that way. Remember when Steve blames the loss of wireless signal on everyone in the audience have a wireless device on and bringing the wireless network down.....

Well he was just holding the phone wrong!!!

You watch his keynote and get the impression that he is saying..."don't do as I do...do as i say....when trying to cover my arse"
  • Reply 148 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

https://twitter.com/franktinsley/status/17038225319

+1

~Callum
  • Reply 149 of 171
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

You posted again before I had a chance to go back through the posts and note them individually.

Here they are:

Problems:

#45 (x3)

#87 (x2)

#113 (Ambiguous)

No problems:

#31 (x2)

That's 13 problem phones if you include the ambiguous post, 12 if you don't, but one of those 12 references his friend so we're back to 11.

Seems I counted an extra "no problems" where none existed the first time through, so 4 iPhone 4s had no problems whatsoever.

As mentioned in my last response, but to avoid repeating the whole thing, even if we disagree about one or two instances, it's undeniable that the ratio of problem to non-problem is pretty compelling evidence that the issue is widespread.

Note that I said evidence, not proof.

I did miss the times-three on #45. However, it seems that most of our differences are matters of interpretation. We are entering into hanging chad land. So, let's let it be. Only time and testing will tell the true nature and extent of the issues being reported.

You seem to be a sincere and thoughtful poster, and speaking only for myself I welcome your changed status from lurker to participant in these forums.
  • Reply 150 of 171
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Polling this forum is really a waste of time. Maybe even worse than a waste of time, since the sample is so tiny, and so completely biased. Funny, but in another thread, posters were all over the survey of new iPhone buyers conducted by an analyst because they only asked 608 people at three Apple stores. So about a dozen opinions here is better?

If the sales estimates are close to accurate, Apple has already sold over a million of these phones. So even if the problem rate is a tiny fraction of one percent, the number of complaints are going to be growing -- from zero to some. People post in these forums to complain, not when they are having no problems. So you can't look at any given forum and read anything useful into "all the complaints."
  • Reply 151 of 171
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Polling this forum is really a waste of time. Maybe even worse than a waste of time, since the sample is so tiny, and so completely biased. Funny, but in another thread, posters were all over the survey of new iPhone buyers conducted by an analyst because they only asked 608 people at three Apple stores. So about a dozen opinions here is better?

If the sales estimates are close to accurate, Apple has already sold over a million of these phones. So even if the problem rate is a tiny fraction of one percent, the number of complaints are going to be growing -- from zero to some. People post in these forums to complain, not when they are having no problems. So you can't look at any given forum and read anything useful into "all the complaints."

I couldn't agree more. Did you read my original post--the one that started this exchange? Here it is (#130):

"Reality Check

If the analysts quoted on another current thread can be quoted after polling people standing in line, so can I. I just reviewed all the posts on this thread up to now. I counted up the number of people who have iPhone 4 who claim problems, and those who claim no problems. I trusted everyone was telling the truth. I counted each phone if someone said they had 3 and all were doing it. Here is the result of my unscientific investigation.

Problems: 7

No Problems: 7

Does this imply that 50% of phones have a problem? No. Because we might assume that complainers tend to be more motivated to sound off than satisfied customers. You can ponder the meaning of this yourselves. But clearly, the complainers are getting more air time in the media that the others."

This started off as kind of a goof. Then I got challenged and we ended up going down a rat hole.
  • Reply 152 of 171
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I hope you are right that the percentage is so small that it is not a very large design flaw. I just want my phone to work correctly...right now it does not. So if you are correct then I am going to go to the Apple store and return my 4G for another one and it should work perfectly! I really hope you are correct..I am so frustrated with the phone right now.....
  • Reply 153 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

This started off as kind of a goof. Then I got challenged and we ended up going down a rat hole.

Having gone down more than a few of those willingly myself, I can't be too critical. I just think its unfortunate how quickly many people will jump to conclusions based on whatever evidence they think they have -- slim, or even none. They are only revealing their prejudices, nothing more.
  • Reply 154 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I hope you are right that the percentage is so small that it is not a very large design flaw. I just want my phone to work correctly...right now it does not. So if you are correct then I am going to go to the Apple store and return my 4G for another one and it should work perfectly! I really hope you are correct..I am so frustrated with the phone right now.....

I hope it's small too, but I have absolutely no idea whether the percentage is large or small. At this point, probably only Apple knows.
  • Reply 155 of 171
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Would love to, but Safari give me an error on this address. EDIT: Never mind, got it. Are you being serious? Do you have a source for this information about the missing coating, or are you speculating as to the cause. Hope you are right, would love to see such a clear resolution.

He doesn't have a source. Even Apple didn't say this.
  • Reply 156 of 171
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:

I did miss the times-three on #45. However, it seems that most of our differences are matters of interpretation. We are entering into hanging chad land. So, let's let it be. Only time and testing will tell the true nature and extent of the issues being reported.

You seem to be a sincere and thoughtful poster, and speaking only for myself I welcome your changed status from lurker to participant in these forums.

Consider the topic parked.

And thanks for the kind words of welcome. Truth is I would still be lurking if SJ hadn't thrown out his one-liner, so blame my presence in the forums on him.

Cheers.
  • Reply 157 of 171
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    is not plausible becuase Steve is incapable of admitting that there is anything in need of change and passing out bumpers with the phone would be such an admission. As a consequence, there will likely be a class action lawsuit which will cost a lot more money than giving away bumpers and damage the company's reputation a great deal more than the very reasonable alternative presented.

Oh, did I mention the continuing bad PR?
  • Reply 158 of 171
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I agree with you until last paragraph, now you need to keep taking those pills 3 times a day. I always seen to observe your comments, when Apple have an issue.

Actually its only the ones that are stupid and blindly loyal that need the medication. I am perfectly fine, thanks for asking.

At least you admit Apple is having an issue instead of blindly defending them like most of the koolaid drinkers.
  • Reply 159 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually its only the ones that are stupid and blindly loyal that need the medication. I am perfectly fine, thanks for asking.

At least you admit Apple is having an issue instead of blindly defending them like most of the koolaid drinkers.

I told you long time ago, that I love Apple and think the company delivers GREAT products, BUT when there is something wrong, I am going to say it is wrong. The left hand issue should have been non-issue before release and speculation about the 'rubber bands' being available due to this issue, is in my opinion on the money. What gets me if that is true, why sell them at $29.99 to loyal customers and make more money off them for a issue that is Apple's problem.
  • Reply 160 of 171
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally...

I'd rather they had better designed/engineered the device prior to release, as opposed to this (proposed) half-hearted 'fix'.

big surprise you would have a negative thing to say about apple. i am sure you are real fun at party's which is clearly a half-hearted statement, cause i don't think people like you enough to invite ya to one.