'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 171
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodduality View Post

Well this is my first post, but I have been reading this site for a few months now.

I preordered and recieved my iphone 4 yesterday through fedex and it has both the discolored screen and the signal issues. The ATT store I activated at took a note of the screen so I can exchange it later if it doesn't go away.

I noticed the signal issue later when I got home. Where I live I only have edge and only 2 or 3 bars of signal. If I hold the phone in my left hand the signal drops to "no service" and I am unable to make calls if I try. So it is more than just a cosmetic thing, and really did make me drop to no service.

hmm, first post, bought an iphone 4 with issues, came to apple forum...i think google is paying people pretty well these days to post to apple fan sites... btw you are wasting your time...people on here either own many apple products, or they come to despise the people that do..
  • Reply 162 of 171
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Why do you not have this same opinion when these rumors come out about other companies. Or do you? If this was reported with the new Evo or Incredible would your reaction be the same?

we wouldnt go to a site specifically and make the comments and stir the trouble that you do sir. It would appear you only comment when something could be viewed as a negative towards apple.

But keep doing what you are doing, because my stock price per share has risen over a 140 dollars a share since i have seen you appear here. Apparently your incoherent rants over apple have most assuredly made me richer. So continue on, clearly your critiques of apple have made it to Steve's ears and have corrected them.

keep up the good work, not as is you are doing any, but i am sure you have some butterfly effect of chaos that is rippling into my earnings....onward to $400/share!

wait, i havent heard much of you rant against the iPad lately...maybe its because they have sold more ipads in a couple of months, than all tablets sold in the last 5 years?
  • Reply 163 of 171
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

User error? Design flaw? Neither.

So many people are totally unaware of a thing called "manufacturing error".

(Apple does not manufacture *ANY* iPhone. Never has. Never will.)

The simple reason why 1000s of phones have this problem... and 100000s do NOT:

The company that builds the phone (not Apple) let a small number of phones slip through quality-control inspections.

*ALL* iPhone4s should have an insulating coating on the antenna.... but a small percent of them were accidentally shipped without it.

Here's an instant 3/8" solution for a few cents at your local store:

http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Wing-Bands.html

Are you talking about an insulating coating on the outside of the antenna? If so, I have not seen a single one that has such a coating.
  • Reply 164 of 171
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    All Apple has to do is to give out free samples of Scotch tape to taper over the antenna divide on the lower left corner.

This completely solves the problem.

Period.

Simple.

It costs less than 1 cent.

Done.
  • Reply 165 of 171
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

we wouldnt go to a site specifically and make the comments and stir the trouble that you do sir. It would appear you only comment when something could be viewed as a negative towards apple.

But keep doing what you are doing, because my stock price per share has risen over a 140 dollars a share since i have seen you appear here. Apparently your incoherent rants over apple have most assuredly made me richer. So continue on, clearly your critiques of apple have made it to Steve's ears and have corrected them.

keep up the good work, not as is you are doing any, but i am sure you have some butterfly effect of chaos that is rippling into my earnings....onward to $400/share!

wait, i havent heard much of you rant against the iPad lately...maybe its because they have sold more ipads in a couple of months, than all tablets sold in the last 5 years?

Thanks for the laugh. I read most of your posts in this thread and clearly you are another one with your head firmly up your ass and no clue what you are talking about except blindly defending Apple at all cost.

By the way I own an iPad, MBP, severl iPods, and have more Apple stock then 90% of this forum combined.
  • Reply 166 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

hmm, first post, bought an iphone 4 with issues, came to apple forum...i think google is paying people pretty well these days to post to apple fan sites... btw you are wasting your time...people on here either own many apple products, or they come to despise the people that do..

crift, stop being an idiot.

person did nothing wrong, just mentioned his experience.

you, on the other hand, come across as a complete moron. blindly posting fanboi bullshit and attacking anyone who's not licking apple's ass. ASS!

• Reply 167 of 171
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

That's exactly what I said earlier today. I assume they'll look at the design of the phone to see if they can improve the issue, but for the million plus units that are already manufactured, if a bumper solves the problem (and it sure sounds like it does) then they can give free bumpers to people that complain about the problem.

Again, I think they need to look at changing the design going forward, but assuming that bumpers do solve the problem I don't see why they'd be on the hook for anything beyond that.

we were told 30 x stronger and scratch resistent. But the bumpers don't protect the front or back, just the sides and it's starting to read like Apple knew off the droped call,,'thuscthe bumpers. Hmm. Hincky.

Edit. It appears the "no such article bug" still exists on the forum iPhone view. Had to go to full site to see ciomments. Anyone else?
  • Reply 168 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

we were told 30 x stronger and scratch resistent.

There seems to be an issue with the choice of materials used:

http://gizmodo.com/5572546/design-te...fragile-beauty
  • Reply 169 of 171
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Thanks for the laugh. I read most of your posts in this thread and clearly you are another one with your head firmly up your ass and no clue what you are talking about except blindly defending Apple at all cost.

...and have more Apple stock then 90% of this forum combined.

I gotta' challenge that--I suspect I lost more on AAPL today than you rate worth!

• Reply 170 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It is surprising this left the door, I'll admit. However, throwing in a $29 bumper for $5 (which costs them $0.25) is an easy solution to the problem. It is a pretty stupid design flaw (in retrospect) that they should have seen coming and addressed already.

But, it isn't going to impact purchases or profitability.

There is no design flaw.

Going forward why don't you get something else to complain about.

• Reply 171 of 171
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

There is no design flaw.

Going forward why don't you get something else to complain about.

If you are so , why don't you unsubscribe from the thread. If you keep reading it and it keeps making you because you complain about various posts it would seem obvious that you are the problem.

If you mean that a phone should be expected to drop calls all the time because of the (non-flawed) antenna design I must say that you have a very different set of expectations than anyone else i have ever encountered.

I can tell you that I went into the Apple store and held the iPhone 4 precisely in the manner shown in the Apple, Inc. TV adverts and it went from 5 bars to 3 and then 2 and then none. Now Apple is telling us that the "formula used to calculate the number of bars is all wrong". If that is true, then it does show an inadequate test of the product prior to release. More damning is the obvious conclusion that the reason that the call is dropped is that the network and/or reception of the phone is simply not adequate for the intended use...making a phone call.

If "you are holding it wrong" is the answer, then why does Apple show people "holding it wrong" in their commercials? If "you are holding it wrong" is the answer, it also shows a profound lack of human factors design capability as the way shown in the commercial is the way that a user can be expected to hold it both on the basis of ergonomics and prior experience of how people hold phones.

So, yes, it is a flawed design. Whether a bumper or similar product resolves the problem sufficiently to satisfy most people remains to be seen.

As of this morning, there are news reports of a class action lawsuit to require Apple to provide bumpers at no cost to the customer. Is this a surprise? I hardly think so. It is a very predictable consequence of releasing a product with this sort of problem.

There are unconfirmed reports of a second production run of iPhone 4s which have some sort of coating over the metal frame/antenna. We shall see.

So just chill and unsubscribe from this thread if you don't like it.