Apple has no plans for iPhone 4 recall - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

And to be fare on this, where there is smoke there is fire. The "Just hold it right" comment probably just pissed people enough for this to be a thing that people want to get revenge on Apple, a burr in my shoe type of thing.

They could have handled this way better from the start, said that we have reports and we are looking into the issue. It's almost like from Apple's end they knew and wanted to be out in front of it, which is the only part of this whole thing that scares me. The reaction was too quick.

The quick reaction was necessary or else they would have got hammered for not addressing it. Catch 22. If they know their shit, then it's a much better policy to play 'wack-a-mole' as any kind of issue appears.

A lot of people have something against Apple. Their products aren't cheap, some who won't or can't spend the money, will talk trash to ruin someone else's parade. That's long been true with Apple, but now with cheaper products like iPods and iPhones, they have a wider base and since 25% of the population is retarded.. voila! Then of course the Verizon people who can't get iPhones and are unwilling to change their existing contracts... it doesn't cost anything to whine. Apple is also doing a lot better, with hit after hit after hit, lots of sour grapes with competitors and the peripherals, press and investors who hoped/invested/gambled on other manufacturers.

You really gotta look at Google in this. If they are willing to rip-off the iPhone OS, there's no integrity there to stop them from encouraging or faking information to help their products. They spend money to hire 'street teams' all the time, why else would Google possibly need street teams so regularly? Their business is supposed to be collating information, that kind of work is only for disseminating information.

However the most damning part of this... none of the pro users are upset. Why? Because pro users don't ride on the edge of the feature wave. They are typically too busy working to change things midstream or risk futzing with updates and potential incompatibilities with current projects. It's always the leisure crowd thats out in front. Not that is anything wrong with that, just the insight and technical background isn't their niche.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

CR has ZERO credibility when they give the iPhone 4 the highest scores, but can't recommend it.

Why? Do you understand how products are rated by CR? They gave the iPhone 4 the highest marks in everything but reception and the cumulative scores of those other parts put it at the top. Given the low marks on such an important PHONE component I'd say it was a no-brainer to deny the recommendation. Typically highest cumulative score wins out (as long as the item is priced reasonably, sometimes second-rated item gets the only recommended label) but what would have been lacking in credibility is if CR did recommend this iPhone despite their test results.

The fact that the iPhone was still at the top of the heap says more about the competition than anything else.

Sorry for the reality check that doesn't play into your hyperbole.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report went on to document how Apple's immense secrecy over new iPhone masked the problem during the company's evaluation process with its carrier partners, as design verification units were disguised as "stealth" phones that obscured their design and some of their functions.

If only there were a way Apple could test the device off campus outside of a case while keeping it secure from prying eyes.

Gee, off the top of my head, engineers in a vehicle driving around to test various locations. Seems to me this would have been a testing stage before issuing to employees to use in their personal lives.

Does anyone really think they never tested these phones naked and jumped right to issuing to select employees as their daily phone? I certainly don't.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    A recall is different from telling customers, "If you are having a problem, bring it in to one of our stores and we will apply a simple fix."
  • Reply 45 of 86
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

The quick reaction was necessary or else they would have got hammered for not addressing it.

Ignoring whether there is an issue or not.

You can have a reasonable quick response, or you can have an unreasonable quick response.

When it hit the internet that SJ said "hold the phone differently or buy a bumper" (for an extra $30) that was an unreasonable response. That was blaming the consumer.

None of this would have happened if Apple had simply said, "we have heard all of the comments regarding XXX, and we are currently investigating the issue, and we will let you know the results when we have them."

It would have then been end of story.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Thanks for saving me the time.

K

Bull honkey.

If corporate America is so evil, and can't be trusted, then of course the Illuminati control everything and AppleInsider and everyone else online is a shill or plant. That's like saying that some people get into car accidents so... all drivers are reckless and will get into accidents. So every time someone talks about driving anywhere, you assume they are going to wreck? That's paranoid fantasy and intellectual apathy, and of course the immediate justification for anyone whose been caught on the wrong side of logic.

I don't see any basis aside from simple sheep illogic and typical peasant fear, to think Apple would risk lying about it. Trying to steal their trade secrets might get them pretty angry, but never seen them go dishonest. They seem to even go above and beyond warranties in many cases, I've personally had 5 different portables repaired/replaced out of warrantee/AppleCare not to mention a batteries and few cracked iPhone screens. Then again, it probably helps when you behave as a civilized 21st century human, pretty sure the 'evil corporation' mythology doesn't help in getting better tech support. Now imagine what it does for understanding reality.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomfuquay View Post

My iphone 4 doesn't have any such issue. I can't even get it to drop a single bar no matter how I hold it. Other's I know with 4's have not experienced the issue either. Overall, the 4 is WAY better reception wise than my Original iPhone 2 that I upgraded from. My thinking is that this may only affect a limited percentage of units.

I agree. I tested the death grip on my friend's iPhone who had ordered one online, and I couldn't replicate it. I get 5 bars at my house, but I still get voicemails with no call alert on my 3G, so I doubt they're "real bars."

That said, I've seen enough online to not doubt that it's a real issue, and I'll bet like other people have said that they'll say it was a limited number of units. And I'll bet that's what it was, though still a good percentage. If they fix the issue tomorrow then I'll order one, and not until then. I know how my luck runs. If they don't cut the BS and do something to seriously fix it, then I'll get a used 3GS and Apple is out my money and AT&T stays month to month until Verizon can woo me away.

I'll bet the antennae requires tight tolerances to avoid the call dropping death grip issue, and that many weren't manufactured to those tight tolerances. I still think the antennae is an amazing design, and as long as Steve does something to fix this nightmare, then I think it'll blow over.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I usually don't cuss on things like this, but I think this calls for it. ARE YOU THAT F#CK1N9 STUPID!?

Really? No problem at all with the phone. Then you come to where I am and explain why I could make calls (without dropping them) on all of my previous iPhones and not with my new iPhone 4. .

Maybe you should take your thumb off the antenna and shove it back to where it was before?
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:

Bull honkey.

If corporate America is so evil, and can't be trusted, then of course the Illuminati control everything and AppleInsider and everyone else online is a shill or plant. That's like saying that some people get into car accidents so... all drivers are reckless and will get into accidents. So every time someone talks about driving anywhere, you assume they are going to wreck? That's paranoid fantasy and intellectual apathy, and of course the immediate justification for anyone whose been caught on the wrong side of logic.

I don't see any basis aside from simple sheep illogic and typical peasant fear, to think Apple would risk lying about it. Trying to steal their trade secrets might get them pretty angry, but never seen them go dishonest. They seem to even go above and beyond warranties in many cases, I've personally had 5 different portables repaired/replaced out of warrantee/AppleCare not to mention a batteries and few cracked iPhone screens. Then again, it probably helps when you behave as a civilized 21st century human, pretty sure the 'evil corporation' mythology doesn't help in getting better tech support. Now imagine what it does for understanding reality.

Wow, that got you upset.

Wow, my post, to which K responded, really touched a nerve. I am not sure if it is because you think Apple alone can do no wrong, or whether corporations can do no wrong.

First, I never said that companies are evil. They simply have a vested interest in controlling any damage that might be occurring. As I pointed out, Apple has, in the past, denied problems, which they then fixed.

Second, can corporations be trusted. No, not really. If you are a working adult, I am not sure you could have lived through the last couple of years and still have blind trust in the goodness and altruism of corporations. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories involving the Illumanti.

Third, I never said anything about Apple lying or not. I merely commented that the original poster wished to completely dismiss the report because of anonymous sources and because Apple said so.

Lastly, it would be a reasonable bet that if the corporation concerned were with MS or Google, the original poster would be singing a different tune.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Why? Do you understand how products are rated by CR? They gave the iPhone 4 the highest marks in everything but reception and the cumulative scores of those other parts put it at the top. Given the low marks on such an important PHONE component I'd say it was a no-brainer to deny the recommendation. Typically highest cumulative score wins out (as long as the item is priced reasonably, sometimes second-rated item gets the only recommended label) but what would have been lacking in credibility is if CR did recommend this iPhone despite their test results.

The fact that the iPhone was still at the top of the heap says more about the competition than anything else.

Sorry for the reality check that doesn't play into your hyperbole.

No offence dude, but it is you that don't know how Consumer Reports rates their products.

They gave the iPhone 4 the best marks of any phone with a higher cumulative score than the rest. It won in all categories *including* the antenna, which they described as dropping less calls than any other they had tested.

The "recommend/not recommend" thing is not related to the score each device received. it's a separate deal.

So they rated the iPhone 4 the best of any phone they tested, but (after teh outcry from teh masses), "don't recommend" it. That's just nuts no matter how you slice it. What *do* they recommend if not their highest rated phone? Are they saying that iPhone 4 gets the highest marks in all categories but they recommend the number two product?

Consumer Reports lost a lot of credibility on this one IMO. Their dirty secret has always that they don't have the staff expertise, the facilities or the manpower to seriously test product. It didn't really matter so much when they were making obvious quality tests on toasters and washing machines, but they just aren't qualified to make any kind of pronouncements on complicated computers and things like the antenna reception of the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

You can have a reasonable quick response, or you can have an unreasonable quick response.

When it hit the internet that SJ said "hold the phone differently or buy a bumper" (for an extra $30) that was an unreasonable response. That was blaming the consumer.

None of this would have happened if Apple had simply said, "we have heard all of the comments regarding XXX, and we are currently investigating the issue, and we will let you know the results when we have them."

It would have then been end of story.

They've done that in the past. Same result.

With a legit issue or concern. But for a moment imagine that the issue is ridiculous, petty or total bullshit. Better to identify the clowns early on than validate their opinion.

Apple has already addressed the issue in a press release. Why are you so sensitive about what some idiot's email exchange Steve Jobs? How do you know who this guy is? If you're going to distrust one, why not the other? Camaraderie? I doubt the iPhone whiners will do anything to help you if there's a problem. Uncle Steve at his crankiest is going to give you treats and fix your stuff way before any online whiner. I say you're loyalties might be outta-wack bro.

In addition: I'd really like to see iOS4 on my iPad, I think Apple has better priorities than feeding attention to rumor-mongering troll & retards on summer break.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Saying this overblown problem is "well documented" is a crime against intelligence.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Not true.

If Apple had said what you wanted them to say, then investigated it for 3 weeks, and then said "our tests show that the phone is working better than other phones. Just like any phone on the market, how you hold it can cause the signal to deteriorate, even to the point where it might drop a call, especially in poor signal areas", you'd be every bit as bitter and angry - maybe more so. I can see all the whining here:

"Apple delayed 3 weeks so that people were past the end of their return period and they're not going to fix the problem. They're evil and incompetent and deserve to be lynched".

There is no proper way to handle it. If, as I expect and most experts are now saying, it's simply a matter of ANY phone dropping signals at time, no amount of delays would have helped.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:

They've done that in the past. Same result.

With a legit issue or concern. But for a moment imagine that the issue is ridiculous, petty or total bullshit. Better to identify the clowns early on than validate their opinion.

Apple has already addressed the issue in a press release. Why are you so sensitive about what some idiot's email exchange Steve Jobs? How do you know who this guy is? If you're going to distrust one, why not the other? Camaraderie? I doubt the iPhone whiners will do anything to help you if there's a problem. Uncle Steve at his crankiest is going to give you treats and fix your stuff way before any online whiner. I say you're loyalties might be outta-wack bro.

In addition: I'd really like to see iOS4 on my iPad, I think Apple has better priorities than feeding attention to rumor-mongering troll & retards on summer break.

Whether the complaint is legit is largely irrelevant if the public perception is that there is something wrong. This is something politicians learn early.

I dont care about SJ email excepy that the press picked it up and it contributed to the growth of the story

Apple has always treatede well. They replaced my daughters dead iTouch yesterday.

I want a way to take iOS 4 off my 3g
  • Reply 55 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true.

If Apple had said what you wanted them to say, then investigated it for 3 weeks, and then said "our tests show that the phone is working better than other phones. Just like any phone on the market, how you hold it can cause the signal to deteriorate, even to the point where it might drop a call, especially in poor signal areas", you'd be every bit as bitter and angry - maybe more so. I can see all the whining here:

"Apple delayed 3 weeks so that people were past the end of their return period and they're not going to fix the problem. They're evil and incompetent and deserve to be lynched".

There is no proper way to handle it. If, as I expect and most experts are now saying, it's simply a matter of ANY phone dropping signals at time, no amount of delays would have helped.

I think Jobs' response insulates Apple (to a degree) against liability claims. Also, clearly Apple anticipated users having a case on a relatively fragile phone (glass front and back... I mean, come on!) so they thought there would be no skin contact short antenna issue.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true.

We disagree them. I think most people would have been ok with apple doing what I said. Some people would complain but that is true no matter what apple did
  • Reply 57 of 86
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Lemme guess:

"A small batch may possibly have manufacturing issues. Phones with reception issues will be handled on a case-by-case basis with either repair or replacement at Apple's discretion. Those who are unsatisfied with their phones may return them before the 30-day window closes. After that, no refunds.

I think that would be an extremely uncharacteristic approach for Apple. Regardless of whether it is a perceived problem, actual problem, limited production defect, product design defect, or whatever, Apple is not going to dodge it or skirt around it.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    scongiescongie Posts: 1member
    I have had only 1 drooped call I have better reception with the iPhone 4 than I did the 3gs I dont understand why the drama I got ropped calls daily before
  • Reply 59 of 86
    Quote:

Wow, that got you upset.

Wow, my post, to which K responded, really touched a nerve. I am not sure if it is because you think Apple alone can do no wrong, or whether corporations can do no wrong.

First, I never said that companies are evil. They simply have a vested interest in controlling any damage that might be occurring. As I pointed out, Apple has, in the past, denied problems, which they then fixed.

Second, can corporations be trusted. No, not really. If you are a working adult, I am not sure you could have lived through the last couple of years and still have blind trust in the goodness and altruism of corporations. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories involving the Illumanti.

Third, I never said anything about Apple lying or not. I merely commented that the original poster wished to completely dismiss the report because of anonymous sources and because Apple said so.

Lastly, it would be a reasonable bet that if the corporation concerned were with MS or Google, the original poster would be singing a different tune.

Yes, but my friend you have 'blind mistrust' of corporations. I think your analysis of recent events might be suspect to such.

Not as familiar with MS, but Google is always on the wrong side of integrity issues, that's a function of their own corporate direction. I don't suspect malfeasance from most companies for example - Apple, Canon or Avid. I don't see any logical reason changing that opinion, even when they make things that I don't care for, can't afford or missing 'x' feature that 'I want'. I don't think many complainers can claim such emotional restraint in their technological endeavors.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Somewhat off topic here but your point above made me think of a Canadian documentary called the Corporation http://www.thecorporation.com/index.cfm?page_id=2. I haven't seen it yet but was told that the basic premise is that they analyze the concept of a corporation in terms of its functions, needs and historical behavior as if it was a human being and then present the evidence to a series of physiologists, as if it were the findings about a person. Apparently the profile invariably matches that of a psychopath. As I said, I haven't seen it but so I have no way of judging the film but it sounds pretty interesting.