Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 286
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What was it, like 16,500 people have reported problems? Those people exist you know... This isn't all made up nonsense. Tests from numerous websites have proven that.

yes.. so out of 3 million its 0.55% as steve said. And lets be honest.. of that minute fraction, do you really think all 16,500 are right next to a cell tower? Probably not right. So seriously, out of 3 million people so far How many of them are people who are experience genuine antenna issues.. Not because their are simply in a dead zone or very weak service area, and not because their Phone is simply defective (Which is also something Very possible with any product ever made.. there is gonna be a couple duds).

What maybe 3000-5000 tops?

I think Steve was making a decent point when he said this is just blown WAY out of proportion.

I mean common.. the media was talking about a 100% recall for god sakes..
  • Reply 102 of 286
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

So these forums should only be used to praise Apple ? Hmm. This is news to me.

No, I'm not saying that. But how much can you beat a dead horse? Apple addressed the issue. Gave a set of solutions. If none of them work for you then return it. Simple!

EDITED: Reading your posts, it seems you are one of the ones who are dead set on trying to make this issue live forever. I have a IP4 that doesn't have the antenna issue. I got mine on July 14th. I can only assume the 1st batch are the ones affected mostly. As new IP4's are made, the issue will be addressed. Apple knows by end of September they will have the issue resolved. I believe that's the reason for the cut-ff date.
  • Reply 103 of 286
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Actually, I take back everything I said.. iPhone 4 is probably a total dud, and you should all return yours or NOT buy it.. At least until until AFTER I buy my so I don't have to wait in line for 3 weeks

Its kinda funny how apparently ALL these people are having life ending reception problems, yet nobody is returning it, and wait times to buy it is still queued up for 3 weeks, Bumper or not.
  • Reply 104 of 286
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

I think Steve was making a decent point when he said this is just blown WAY out of proportion.

I mean common.. the media was talking about a 100% recall for god sakes..

Completely agreed. Analysts have been reporting every day how many bajillions this was going to cost Apple in one way or another, without any factual evidence whatsoever as to how many people this issue actually affected. All the while everyone I know with an iPhone 4 is loving it to death, and the only one who's complained about the "death grip" was going to put it in a case anyhow. It seems the only people who haven't been making a fuss about this is actual iPhone 4 users, apart from a handful here and there.
  • Reply 105 of 286
    bobaboba Posts: 1member
    I've read alot about the pitfalls of making contact with the exposed antenna on the iPhone 4, but what about the potential of some enterprising individual/company designing a case that could actively BOOST the signal of the exposed antenna.

I could see it now:
    • AT&T gives Free Boost Cases to customers in weak reception areas.

• Iphone 4 users go wild for the flexability provided by the innovative antenna design.

• All other phone manufactures say CR@P... Apples done it again, now we have to redesign our antenna system.

Could happen...
  • Reply 106 of 286
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    the chamber looks neat.
  • Reply 107 of 286
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Exactly !! So why does Apple even quote those Applecare numbers ? They are meaningless in this scenario. Until we get closer to the end of the 30 day trial period. Many people with the issue were probably just waiting on a response from Apple before their trial ended. Those Applecare numbers are just Apple spin. Let's see the return rates a few weeks from now. Those will be more meaningful.

WTF? Meaningless? How else do you judge an issue with a device if it's not from DIRECT feedback from your customers? I even doubt you are a Apple customer because every time you call in about a case, it's generally followed by emails asking you to rate their experience with your issue.

Apple spin? Dude you are the only one spinning facts against hot head shrills in mass in forums like these.

Did you hear Jobs say that they SENT OUT TEAMS of people to investigate the claims? Or more spin?

I mean dude, you watch too much FOX NEWS apparently, this is not the NO SPIN ZONE.

Apple let throngs of people like you "define" the problem with THEIR device. Clearly they know better than you how to assess issues with their devices. Their entire reputation is at stake. In case you don't realize it, Apple's reputation has been tops of late, to the tune of selling 10 million units of iphone per quarter. What is amazing is the elementary thinking of people here that "think" Apple can just say whatever it wants when it wants and answers to nobody, not it's board of directors, the FCC, the FTC, Wall Street, it's shareholders, it's employees,or it's customers.. I mean grow up. Get real people.

Jobs SCORED today and put the whole blow up BS to rest. If you are so concerned about the product or spin, then please by all means go to a Droid. Verizon has a TWO FOR ONE deal on em right now, and that my friend is a FIRE SALE. Doh!@
  • Reply 108 of 286
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

No, I'm not saying that. But how much can you beat a dead horse? Apple addressed the issue. Gave a set of solutions. If none of them work for you then return it. Simple!

EDITED: Reading your posts, it seems you are one of the ones who are dead set on trying to make this issue live forever. I have a IP4 that doesn't have the antenna issue. I got mine on July 14th. I can only assume the 1st batch are the ones affected mostly. As new IP4's are made, the issue will be addressed. Apple knows by end of September they will have the issue resolved. I believe that's the reason for the cut-ff date.

Part of the issue is the spin Apple had on the problem. They made it appear most phones have just as bad of a reception issue. False. They only offered a free fix until the end of Sep. They made no mention of attempting to fix the issue by other means. And btw, it's not just the first batch. If that was the case, Apple would have stated that fact. It's great you don't have the issue. But my theory is that the issue only affects one of the two bands (850 or 1900) AT&T uses. You might be serviced by the unaffected band.
  • Reply 109 of 286
    I've read so many posts about how "dumb" it is that Apple didn't properly test the IP4. Yet Apple revels videos of how detailed their testing methods are. Did anyone REALLY think they (or any other cell phone maker) doesn't go through a huge R&D phase for such a huge product?
  • Reply 110 of 286
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny - you have the nerve to say that I am in denial - when you completely ignored all the facts that have been presented.

No one says that it's perfect - Jobs even admitted that. But all your insane allegations are just more of the same old FUD.

If you actually have an iPhone (which I doubt), return it and get your money back and spare us any more of your whining. Please.

Well said!
  • Reply 111 of 286
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    If it means anything, I can reproduce this issue on both my Palm Pre and wife's Blackberry Tour... they have the same signal strength when laid side by side... I pick them up and hold the Blackberry at the bottom and it does lose bars as does the Pre by holding it towards the bottom right... I can't remember ever dropping a call on my Pre unless I am out in the middle of nowhere where the signal strength is really low or non-existant.

EDIT: We are on Sprint.
  • Reply 112 of 286
    Quote:

Actually, I take back everything I said.. iPhone 4 is probably a total dud, and you should all return yours or NOT buy it.. At least until until AFTER I buy my so I don't have to wait in line for 3 weeks

Its kinda funny how apparently ALL these people are having life ending reception problems, yet nobody is returning it, and wait times to buy it is still queued up for 3 weeks, Bumper or not.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head ... because 90% of the malcontents have no iPhone!
  • Reply 113 of 286
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

If it means anything, I can reproduce this issue on both my Palm Pre and wife's Blackberry Tour... they have the same signal strength when laid side by side... I pick them up and hold the Blackberry at the bottom and it does lose bars as does the Pre by holding it towards the bottom right... I can't remember ever dropping a call on my Pre unless I am out in the middle of nowhere where the signal strength is really low or non-existant.

exactly.
  • Reply 114 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Jobs SCORED today and put the whole blow up BS to rest.

You are living in an Apple fantasy land if you think Jobs scored today and put this issue to rest. Watch the coming days, weeks and months. It was not put to rest. Sorry you were so blinded by the spin. It was so easy to see. You need to check out independent opinions and tests. Not the manufacturer's. Do you think the FDA should approve all drugs based solely on the manufacturer's biased opinion and limited tests.
  • Reply 115 of 286
    Quote:

Part of the issue is the spin Apple had on the issue. They made it appear most phones have just as bad of a reception issue. False. They only offered a free fix until the end of Sep. They made no mention of attempting to fix the issue by other means.

How did they make it appear that way? Today was the first official statement they made about it! Do you mean the so called "emails" that have been pointed out as being fakes? Do you really believe Jobs would be so careless as to send out an email that would be so crude? Get real!

And do they really have to mention that they are looking into fixing the issue? Read between the lines.
  • Reply 116 of 286
    Quote:

Bullshit... ALL of those phone makers took cheap shots at the completely blown out of proportion universal issues... That makes them the idiots cause I GUARANTEE YOU their phones have the same problem.. all Apple did was show us..

Exactly. What we have witnessed / are witnessing is a mix of mass hysteria and deliberate FUD.
  • Reply 117 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

How did they make it appear that way?

Appear what way ? Not sure of your point you are trying to ask.
  • Reply 118 of 286
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

You have got to be kidding . . . that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read here, and I've read plenty of them.

Your devotion to Apple has clearly gotten the better of you, especially if you believe what you wrote.

So , a logical statement that you just don't agree with is the "dumbest thing" you ever heard here? How can anyone even have a debate when you are going to go off the deep end like that? Hyperbole kills kittens you know.

Fact: iPhone 4 antenna gets better reception than any other smartphone antenna to date.

Fact: all smartphones have the same issue when the antenna is held.

Fact: iPhone 4 drops calls less than any other phone to date

Fact: iPhone 4 is more likely to still be able to make a call in low reception areas than other smartphones

Fact: The iPhone 4 antenna is exactly the way it was designed to be.

The iPhone 4 antenna is no different from any other phone antenna in regards the holding problem. It's just plain logic that if the antenna is operating as designed and performing better than all the other antennas out there, that there is no "fault" in the antenna design.
  • Reply 119 of 286
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Look at how the whiners have to hold the phone to make it have a problem. Who holds their phone that way except for whiners? The whiner's finger is touching the screen! And he expects to have good reception? Try holding ANY cellphone with a touchscreen like that and see what happens!

You really are gullible aren't you? That is Apple's photo. Of course they are going to use someone with very large hands holding the phone that way to make it look like the user's fault. Good grief.

I don't engulf the phone like that and consistently drop down to no service with a starting point of 3+ bars.
  • Reply 120 of 286
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.

Except it's on the outside of the phone coming into contact with the skin. I really hate fanboys. They are their own worst enemy. They defend Apple even when in the wrong and as a result Apple tries to get away with more and more. Be a fan not a fanboy.