Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 286
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

And here's three independent links to back my point.

AnandTech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/i...1-signal-fix/3

Consumer Reports:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/iphone-4/

AntennaSys:

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...athinator.html

1) AnandTech proves that attenuation occurs with other phones when you grip it, thus destroying your argument in your first link.

2) Your 2nd link isn?t to any specific article(s) but to the ?iPhone 4? as a category, which makes it an irrelevant post as it covers anything iPhone 4 related, including CR?s initial comment about the iPhone 4*.

3) Your last link is biases and flawed, but it?s a solid link for your argument. The problem is that it?s ONE link and you clearly stated ?most?, which completely decimates your argument once again. Even if you could get 3 solid links it still wouldn?t be anywhere close to backing your preposterous claim.

4) This is common sense and general truths (but really just my opinions):
    • The iPhone 4 is the best cellphone Apple has created

• The iPhone 4 is the best smartphone on the planet

• The iPhone 4 antenna issue is only an issue with anti-Apple folk, most of whom have never even held one, and those too mental to have realistic expectations of a CE company and the physical world they actually do live in

• Every cellphone vendor would gladly change places with Apple if they could

* The iPhone 4 is CR?s highest rated cellphone and every phone on their list of ?recommended phones? suffer from severe attenuation when gripped. Do you want links, because I can get them... all with video proof?
  • Reply 282 of 286
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) AnandTech proves that attenuation occurs with other phones when you grip it, thus destroying your argument in your first link.

Did you even read the article. AnandTech showed the iPhone4 has far worse attenuation then the other phones they tested.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Your 2nd link isn?t to any specific article(s) but to the ?iPhone 4? as a category, which makes it an irrelevant post as it covers anything iPhone 4 related, including CR?s initial comment about the iPhone 4*.

Consumer reports had the same outcome. They showed the iPhone4 has far worse attenuation then the other phones they tested.
  • Reply 283 of 286
    Maybe this comment is too far down in the discussion to get noticed, but I'd be happy if someone could explain this a little...

I thought that the issue with the iPhone 4 was that there are multiple external antennas on the phone, and if you hold the phone in a certain way, you can connect the antennas through your skin. This effectively changes the very precise shape of the antennas, and causes a decrease in their performance. In areas with a weak signal, this performance loss could be enough to cause a dropped call.

I thought that is why using a case, or a strip of duct tape, or anything that would prevent conduction between the two antennas between the user's skin, would solve the problem.

Is that right?

The reason I am confused, is because Apple seems to have said that this issue exists with other phones. But none of the other phones they mentioned had external antennas that could be connected through the user's skin. So, if holding those other phones causes their signal to drop, it seems like a completely different issue (like the hand is just blocking the signal or something).

I appreciate any comments that could shed some light on this....
  • Reply 284 of 286
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Uhh, it's called applying common sense and simple logic, instead of being brainwashed by Apple's reality distortion.

This is so true:

Cretin's Law — As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the original topic approaches 0
  • Reply 285 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Why should Apple take all the heat for an issue that's existed forever but never been noticed until the iPhone 4? It's unfair and misleading for their phone to be singled out.

They did that three weeks ago, and nobody listened. It took the video demos and a press conference to get the media to actually listen to anyone but themselves. There has been no fact-checking at all on the media's part, instead every local news station in the world has been running their own version of, "iPhone 4 doesn't make calls and everybody's furious!".

It would have been so easy to manipulate the media into asking the question which would have played much better. Mention that you've tested other phones and found them to have similar issues and invariably, somebody would ask, which phones. At that point name names and the media thinks they've drawn that information from you.

However, that would have meant having to show the Q and A in Apple's posted video. My view is that Apple was wrong to not show the Q and A because by doing that they implied that they had something to hide, which they really don't.

I'm a long-time Apple investor and the stock has been my star performer. I believe that despite this misstep, it will continue to be. But I can't say that I'm pleased with the way that the company has handled this scenario. When the announcement was made regarding how the phone displays strength, it was suggested that this is all there is to it. Wrong move. What Apple should have done is announced that it was going to be making the change in how the phone displays bars and in light of concerns regarding the iPhone 4 was continuing to study the matter. In other words, present a factor in the matter, with a solution, but not imply that by making that one change it would be problem solved. If I'm not mistaken, it was after that bad move that CR pulled its endorsement of the product and who can blame the publication? CR let Apple know that that lame bar-display fix simply isn't good enough.

As Jobs pointed out, they've only had a few weeks to consider this issue and as such, it would have been appropriate to not try to rush out a definitive fix, which it really isn't, days into the mess. By all means announce the bar-display fix and why but don't try to offer it up as something that it is not. That only served to infuriate a consumer watchdog like CR and it made Apple look worse soon after when it was made clear that the problem with the product is more complex than can be addressed with a simple software fix.

As an investor, I'm not worried about the iPhone 4. It's a great product and whatever hardware issues are involved, will be addressed sooner than later. I'm more concerned with a botched PR effort.
  • Reply 286 of 286
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Found via DaringFireball, this quote from John Paczkowski sums up why this longstanding issue is only affecting Apple.

Quote:

Smartphone antenna design requires compromises.

The trouble is, the public doesn?t expect compromises from Apple.

A victim of their own success, but I doubt they?d change places with anyone nor would any handset maker not want to be where Apple is now, even on their worst iPhone day.

PS: Here?s a link to David Chartier of MacWorld compiling a list of cellphone document pages informing the user of its weak spots.
    Can we blame Apple for all these phones, too?