Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 286
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    darn, Apple forgot to also post a video of the iPhone 4 WITH a bumper, to compare how much of a signal drop there is compared to the naked one when held tightly. they said it is better, but show us!
  • Reply 82 of 286
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Yes, solely because of reception issues. Uhhh, this is a fancy broken feature. This is the main purpose of a phone. Anyway, did you not read the article and the reason why they still do not recommend it ? It's because Apple only promised a free fix till the end of Sept. This is not a long term free fix. That is the issue.

It's not a broken feature. You're lying.

Most iPhone 4s work great with or without a case. Get your free bumper and see if your problems persist. If they do and your iPhone 4 doesn't perform enough like a phone for you, then return it for a full refund, and be on your merry way.

Very simple.
  • Reply 83 of 286
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's BS.

First, Apple is offering a free fix TODAY. Why aren't they recommending it today?

Second, Apple said that they will evaluate what to do after September, so CR doesn't have any way of knowing whether customers will get a free bumper after September. So CR is penalizing Apple because they want to assume that Apple will stop doing something in September.

Finally, CR refused to respond to Apple's statement that all phones have similar problems.

CR is clearly being hypocritical here.

1. Because the free fix has not been stated by Apple it will be free long term. Only till the end of Sep.

2. Since it's up in the air if Apple will still provide a free fix after Sep, then how is that different then yesterday when we didn't know if Apple will provide a free fix? Apple should stand behind their customers and offer the free fix for as long as they sell the flawed product. At this point we don't know. Just like yesterday.

3. No reason to respond to Apple's spinning statement. Their own tests proved other tested phones do not have the issue to the degree of the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 84 of 286
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RYOSAEBAXYZ View Post

Hello People Out there,

I'm usually part of those who keep their mouths shut when it's not necessary to open it ; but watching the bull that just delivred to us Steve Jobs (whom I admire otherwise) led me to think that we should all participate to something that may make him go 360 on what he said :

How about we all take 2 min of our time and call APPLECARE and tell them how bad the Antenna is ... just so that their know the real number of unsatisfied people..

what do you say ? shall we all do it throughout the world ?

How about YOU practicing what you preach and calling Apple Care and quit hiding behind this mob mentality attack on a good company. Or maybe you don't even own a phone and are just a cheap shill making a few bucks to try to foment this fabricated controversy.
  • Reply 85 of 286
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Well, wake up, genius. This. Is. Not. An. Issue. Everyfrigginphoneoutthereintheopenhasit.

It's not an issue for you, it's not an issue for me, but somewhere out there it's a very real issue for someone, and they aren't delusional.

All cell phones suffer from this "issue" (sorry, nothing else to call it) to some degree, fine. We all get that. That doesn't erase the fact that THIS phone's signal degradation has been shown to be worse than average. What sets this phone apart is it's external antenna.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Go back and watch the event video. Get your facts straight and your erroneous convictions under control. Steve said that the iPhone4 has weak spots just like other smartphones. One partial solutions for those who experience problems is to use a case to insulate the antenna from hands.

insulate the antenna from hands. The antenna wrapped around the outside of the phone, exactly.

Every phone may suffer from this to some degree, but the iphone4 has been proven to suffer from it pretty badly numerous times. If your phone doesn't do it, awesome, I'm glad for you, but that doesn't change what others are seeing.

I'm not attacking Apple for giving out free cases as a "solution" for some people. In fact, I said it's a fairly neutral solution, neither to be celebrated or hated. I'm simply saying Apple knows what's up, and giving out free cases to their users proves it.

What was it, like 16,500 people have reported problems? Those people exist you know... This isn't all made up nonsense. Tests from numerous websites have proven that.

If you read a few of my posts, I've pointed out how there's two extremes in this argument, and the most rational position is right in the middle.
  • Reply 86 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It's not a broken feature. You're lying.

I mispoke. I was trying to make fun of a previous post that disagreed how CR was not recommending the iPhone solely because of reception issues. I meant to say " this isn't a fancy broken feature", because reception is the main part of a phone, not some simple fancy feature that can be overlooked. And yes the reception is flawed and broken if you touch the seam when you have less then optimal signal. Yes, the bumper fixes the flawed design.
  • Reply 87 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

It's fairly simple to understand what Apple is trying to say. When you hold a phone a specific way, the signal can drop. This is consistent with almost all the testing we've seen. The only reason why the iPhone 4's antenna is getting so much flak is because Apple made a huge mistake.

They tried to tell people their antenna was more awesome.

That was a mistake because all antenna's suffer from signal attenuation under specific circumstances. If you tell people something is awesome, they wont just take your word for it. A lot of people were expecting better antenna performance. No matter how well the phone is designed, some people are going to have signal issues. Basically, Apple made a stupid claim they could never back up.

For some people the antenna performance improved...

For some people it was unchanged...

...and for some it was drastically reduced. Those people got pissed off. They got more pissed off because they were told the antenna was supposed to be better.

Until I heard about this whole death grip thing I never noticed that the signal on my 3GS drops drastically when I hold it outside the case. It just so happens the way I hold it is just like in the picture on Apple's new webpage. I'm holding it in a specific way that causes signal loss.

The only way I never noticed it before was because I never thought about it. I've had dropped calls on my 3GS. Probably some due to this issue but I never would have thought that it was because I was holding it wrong. Also I have a case which reduces the problem drastically.

Of course testing shows the iPhone 4 dropping more signal than other phones, because it had more signal to begin with. Anandtech testing shows this a little. The more exposed the antenna is, the more signal gain. Apple designed the new antenna to work this way. The tests show that too. Adding a case also drops the signal gain on any phone. However, adding a case also helps with attenuation because it insulates the antenna more. Phones without exposed antennas have a little less attenuation in some cases. Call it a design quirk or a flaw...

iPhone 4's have more signal gain, at the cost of being more susceptible to attenuation.

Thats it.

So I learned something today... I learned that holding any phone wrong can mess with the signal. I also learned that its a good idea to use a case on my iPhone because I happen to hold it differently. I also learned that its stupid to tell people that something is awesome unless I can really be 100% sure that it is (especially if its an antenna).

Thanks man. This is one of the most rational and well-thought comments here so far.

We need a thumbs up feature at the forums lol
  • Reply 88 of 286
    Quote:

That's BS.

First, Apple is offering a free fix TODAY. Why aren't they recommending it today?

Second, Apple said that they will evaluate what to do after September, so CR doesn't have any way of knowing whether customers will get a free bumper after September. So CR is penalizing Apple because they want to assume that Apple will stop doing something in September.

Finally, CR refused to respond to Apple's statement that all phones have similar problems.

CR is clearly being hypocritical here.

You've already said they acted "quickly" to not recommend the iphone and claimed they should repeal that just as quickly. Now you're demanding it happen today.

Facepalm doesn't even describe...
  • Reply 89 of 286
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You've already said they acted "quickly" to not recommend the iphone and claimed they should repeal that just as quickly. Now you're demanding it happen today.

Facepalm doesn't even describe...

That is, of course, ignoring the fact that they already updated their blog after the press conference - so your 'not enough time has elapsed' argument fails.

What happened is exactly what I predicted - they found some OTHER excuse for not recommending the phone (apparently, they are now into the crystal ball business and won't recommend the phone because Apple might not give bumpers out in the year 2047.
  • Reply 90 of 286
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Apple, you're out of your minds after having worked your butts off! Speak about your products. Only yours!

Bullshit... ALL of those phone makers took cheap shots at the completely blown out of proportion universal issues... That makes them the idiots cause I GUARANTEE YOU their phones have the same problem.. all Apple did was show us..
  • Reply 91 of 286
    Quote:

That is, of course, ignoring the fact that they already updated their blog after the press conference - so your 'not enough time has elapsed' argument fails.

What happened is exactly what I predicted - they found some OTHER excuse for not recommending the phone (apparently, they are now into the crystal ball business and won't recommend the phone because Apple might not give bumpers out in the year 2047.

Another strawman argument. I never said not enough time has elapsed. You just keep making crap up as a reason to now attack an outlet that doesn't recommend the device.

You said they were so quick to not recommend it, and they should be just as quick TO recommend it. I showed you the dates of the phone's release as well as when the article was written, and your response is to make up a strawman and attack it?

Quote:

Consumer Reports believes Apple's offer of free cases is a good first step. However, Apple has indicated that this is not a long-term solution, it has guaranteed the offer only through September 30th, and has not extended it unequivocally to customers who bought cases from third-party vendors. We look forward to a long-term fix from Apple. As things currently stand, the iPhone 4 is still not one of our Recommended models.

You're making up more bullshit. 2047? Jeez...
  • Reply 92 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Bullshit... ALL of those phone makers took cheap shots at the completely blown out of proportion universal issues... That makes them the idiots cause I GUARANTEE YOU their phones have the same problem.. all Apple did was show us..

All Apple did was show how a few bars went down when they wrapped their hands completely around a few other phones. It did not show how only a touch of a fingertip would do the same (like the iPhone). That's the issue. And it only showed bars going down. Not showing us real data behind the bars.
  • Reply 93 of 286
    Quote:

1. Because the free fix has not been stated by Apple it will be free long term. Only till the end of Sep.

2. Since it's up in the air if Apple will still provide a free fix after Sep, then how is that different then yesterday when we didn't know if Apple will provide a free fix? Apple should stand behind their customers and offer the free fix for as long as they sell the flawed product. At this point we don't know. Just like yesterday.

3. No reason to respond to Apple's spinning statement. Their own tests proved other tested phones do not have the issue to the degree of the iPhone 4.

Actually their test proved that all other phones drop MORE bars then the iPhone 4.. They have gone out of their way to offer a fix for seemingly something that ISN'T broken.. its just the way it is with signals.

If you honestly consider this a flawed product, then you have to consider EVERY smart phone out their a flawed product and expect them to give away free cases too.

The only reason they are actually doing this is because they know a percentage of people out their are stupid enough to believe everything they hear instead of trying it.. actually testing their iPhone 4 in a week reception area then holding their buddies Blackberry along the back and seeing the exact same results. And whats even more amazing on apple's part is that they are doing this knowing full well that even though only about 1% of 3 million people are ACTUALLY having problem, probably 90%-95% of those people will take a free case.
  • Reply 94 of 286
    Quote:

Actually their test proved that all other phones drop MORE bars then the iPhone 4.. They have gone out of their way to offer a fix for seemingly something that ISN'T broken.. its just the way it is with signals.

If you honestly consider this a flawed product, then you have to consider EVERY smart phone out their a flawed product and expect them to give away free cases too.

The only reason they are actually doing this is because they know a percentage of people out their are stupid enough to believe everything they hear instead of trying it.. actually testing their iPhone 4 in a week reception area then holding their buddies Blackberry along the back and seeing the exact same results. And whats even more amazing on apple's part is that they are doing this knowing full well that even though only about 1% of 3 million people are ACTUALLY having problem, probably 90%-95% of those people will take a free case.

It's more then just bars dropping. It's dropped calls and/or slow data rates when only a small area of the phone is touched. An area that is touched when many people naturally hold the phone. Not tightly wrapping a hand completely around the phone as shown by Apple. Funny how Apple didn't address the real issue. Independent tests have shown the iPhone 4 issue is far worse then other phones tested.
  • Reply 95 of 286
    Quote:

All Apple did was show how a few bars went down when they wrapped their hands completely around a few other phones. It did not show how only a touch of a fingertip would do the same (like the iPhone). That's the issue. And it only showed bars going down. Not showing us real data behind the bars.

so in other words, iPhone 4's week spot is a 1/4" clearly marked line, where as blackberry and HTC'S week spot is the entire bottom back portion of the phone..

And thats all the complaints and YouTube videos have been about too.. is just bars going down..

EVERY phone has there bars go up and down when you hold it in certain ways.. Who cares.. NOBODY until someone put up a video of iPhone's doing it.. no all of a sudden its a huge media blow out as if its an Apple thing which it isn't.. it Simply ISN'T.
  • Reply 96 of 286
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Videos: death grip on EVO, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, Galaxy 1, G1, etc.

* Samsung I9000 Galaxy S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROTHrTR92k

* HTC Evo Signal Attenuation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj2YBYTbag

* Samsung Galaxy 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

* Samsung Galaxy 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPCQdYtPihg

* Droid Incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDE941PzQk

* Droid Incredible (With Network Extender in Room): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEQH...eature=related

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIA_lMwqJA

* Nexus One vs. iPhone (start at 1:29): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMoV4_C4aA

* Nexus One: http://posterous.com/getfile/files.p...n_-_iPhone.m4v

* Nexus One (after Google's update to correct): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2g5J4qPp54

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCkjeHYT-g

* Android G1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDaxhjUs9M

* "Major signal degradation when Nexus One is picked up" (N1 Thread on On this Problem): http://www.google.com/support/forum/...9184c33e&hl=en
  • Reply 97 of 286
    Quote:

so in other words, iPhone 4's week spot is a 1/4" clearly marked line, where as blackberry and HTC'S week spot is the entire bottom back portion of the phone..

And thats all the complaints and YouTube videos have been about too.. is just bars going down..

EVERY phone has there bars go up and down when you hold it in certain ways.. Who cares.. NOBODY until someone put up a video of iPhone's doing it.. no all of a sudden its a huge media blow out as if its an Apple thing which it isn't.. it Simply ISN'T.

Check out the real scientific tests that show how much reception is lost in detail. Not some unknown YouTube videos. Reception is lost by more then 20db when touching the weak spot on the iPhone 4. A lot more then other phones when tested in the same controlled environment. And the weak spots in other phones have to be completely covered. Not just by a fingertip.
  • Reply 98 of 286
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Look, if you bought a TV that didn't work, you'd take it back and either a). get a new one, or b). get a different brand. You wouldn't post (b*†ch) about it constantly on a forum, rip the TV's executives and bash the entire company! If you have an iPhone 4 that doesn't work for you TAKE IT BACK! If it doesn't meet your precious standards TAKE IT BACK!

Seriously, a lot of people just need to chill and realize it's a phone. Apple is a company who makes great products but are also humans. Deal with it or get out!
  • Reply 99 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Look, if you bought a TV that didn't work, you'd take it back and either a). get a new one, or b). get a different brand. You wouldn't post (b*†ch) about it constantly on a forum, rip the TV's executives and bash the entire company! If you have an iPhone 4 that doesn't work for you TAKE IT BACK! If it doesn't meet your precious standards TAKE IT BACK!

Seriously, a lot of people just need to chill and realize it's a phone. Apple is a company who makes great products but are also humans. Deal or get out!

So these forums should only be used to praise Apple ? Hmm. This is news to me.
  • Reply 100 of 286
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

Where did I call anyone a name in that post? I simply said that the person I was responding to was spreading FUD. Which was true.

"insane allegations" and "whining" are name calling. Almost every post of yours I have read on this forum have contained versions of name calling. It is getting old. Please stop.

Quote:

1 & 2. The difference is that I never claimed that I had the data. I simply asked the people who were imagining things to stop making things up.

You have consistently attacked anyone who dares to question Apple and the iPhone 4. Your 100% assurance that the iPhone 4 detractors are wrong is based on information that you could not possibly have, because you are not Apple or AT&T. Quit acting like Apple is a religion.

Quote:

3. My car doesn't fly. I guess that's a problem. My refrigerator doesn't do my laundry. That's a problem, too.

All smart phones have this problem. Jobs demonstrated that on stage. He said Apple is not perfect and cannot bend the laws of physics. That is not the same as your half-assed sarcasm here.

Quote:

When the iPhone doesn't do anything any worse than other phones on the market, calling is a problem is misleading - at best.

You're right that it might be misleading. But Apple would not be giving away free bumpers if they did not actually help the problem. And the fact that this extends only to September 30 makes me think that there is a more substantial fix to the problem coming.

Quote:

4. CR was very quick to post their blog. While they did post the positive review earlier, they posted the blog within a very short time of their being notified of the 'problem'. Let's see if they fix it.

Lets see if they fix it is right. It will be interesting to see what they do. But you need to give them more time than a few hours to do so.

Quote:

5. That's the point. There were a few problems (about 1/2% of users called Apple and 1.7% returned their phones - with no idea how many are in both groups). Yet the media (and all the trolls here) made it into the biggest news since Moses split the Red Sea. I suspect that that one was an 'exaggeration', too.

Assuming that Apple's numbers are correct (do they take into account 3rd party resellers' returns and customer service complaints, how many were waiting to see what happened before they decided what to do, etc), this was blown out of proportion. That does not negate the fact that there is a real issue and Apple's actions demonstrate that. Jobs said something to the effect that Apple does not have its head in the sand over this issue. The same cannot be said for you and other so-called Apple defenders, who bristle with the mere thought that Apple could do anything wrong. Problems are fixed by taking them head on, not by denying there is a problem and attacking anyone who disagrees, which is what you've been doing for the last 3 weeks.