Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers

Comments

• Reply 121 of 286
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    • Apple said they aren’t perfect. That destroys the trolls who think Apple should be.They tested it against other phones with different OSes. But will that be enough for the haters?

• The mentioned that there is no standard for bars. This is one area I’d like the FCC to be involved. Either make it standard. Or get rid of them altogether, instead list the best connection type.

• I like that he also stated they may be too liberal with their algorithm

• I found it funny that he took at a jab at Android OS battery efficiency being shite.

• I wonder what the return rate is for other phones if the average is above 6% and I (anecdotally) know a lot more people that have hated Palm and Android phones and returned them than people that have returned iPhones. ⅓ the return rates of the 3GS? Really? But I thought everyone was returning them. I wonder where the trolls are today.

• <1 additional cal per 100. New chips, no case, and huge upsurge in sales saturating AT&T’s network? I would think that number will be fairly lower than the 3GS numbers by the iPhone 5 comes out.

• I was wrong about them giving away cases in lieu of gift certificates, but since they are also including 3rd-party case makers that satisfied my theory that there would be backlash from case makers if they simply gave away Bumpers and only Bumpers.

• Reevaluate the free Bumper option in September? Interesting. If this was a “design flaw” they would have offered it up immediately for all iPhone 4s regardless of timeframe. The fact that they have cut off tells me they are doing this for “dramage” control to appease consumers. That’s it. Sure, they are working on a solution to reduce the attenuation to something more in line with (say) the Nexus One’s max 17dB, so long as it’s transparent, but that is what all decent companies do: tweak their products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Exactly !! So why does Apple even quote those Applecare numbers ? They are meaningless in this scenario. Until we get closer to the end of the 30 day trial period. Many people with the issue were probably just waiting on a response from Apple before their trial ended. Those Applecare numbers are just Apple spin. Let's see the return rates a few weeks from now. Those will be more meaningful.

They aren’t meaningless. They are what every iPhone 4 user will be calling if they call Apple support. It starts immediately. Furthermore, you can call AppleCare to ask questions or express concerns even if you don’t own an Apple product.
  • Reply 122 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Except it's on the outside of the phone coming into contact with the skin. I really hate fanboys. They are their own worst enemy. They defend Apple even when in the wrong and as a result Apple tries to get away with more and more. Be a fan not a fanboy.

1) I guess you?ve conveniently chosen to ignore the reports that signal strength actually went up when touched at times, that it?s better than the 3GS or other phones in maintaining a signal, that phones encased in plastic or rubber still have a weak spot, or anything else that debunks your ?metal on skin is bad? statement.

2) Have you noticed that the entire frame of the iPhone 4 is metal, yet it?s only certain situations in a certain area that is causing the issue. If your ?metal on skin is bad? theory is correct it should cause it to fail touching it anywhere on the antenna.
  • Reply 123 of 286
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They aren’t meaningless. They are what every iPhone 4 user will be calling if they call Apple support. It starts immediately. Furthermore, you can call AppleCare to ask questions or express concerns even if you don’t own an Apple product.

You don't understand my point. Many people are aware of this issue. Many of these same people know Apple is aware of the issue. So why would the customer who is experiencing this issue call Applecare to report it, if they know Apple is already aware of it and is working on it. What good would it do ? So you really think every customer who has this issue is reporting it to Applecare ? So you think even 5% of the customers who have the issue are wasting their time calling Applecare about it ? Why would they call ? Apple knows about the issue, they have no fix at the time, and the customer knows Apple is aware of the issue. That's why stating the Applecare data is misleading. It makes it appear like only 0.55% of their customers have this issue. Which is probably very far from the true percentage. If this was an issue that wasn't in the media, or already acknowledged by Apple, then yes, the customer would call Applecare, because most customers would believe their phone is unique and has an issue.
  • Reply 124 of 286
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Spin control - Jobs is good at it. He said nothing that anyone hadn't already known, except to deny any prior knowledge of the problem, and promised nothing other than they were going to continue working to make the antenna issue less of an issue - and you get a free case (sorry, we can't take a hit on our bumper gross margins), so you get a nifty 50 cent case for your trouble.

They are obviously working on version 2 of the iP4, and I will wait until there is a hint of when it will arrive, because I got tired of dropping downloads all the time, which didn't happen in my 3G - ever. Yes, you infantile posters may label me a whiner, but I haven't had that argument since I was in 6th grade, so save your breath. I own a large amount of Apple stock, so it does me no good to continue to look on Jobs with a bit of skepticism, but he is, after all, a master, and you have to tip your cap to him, even if you can read between the lines just fine.

Mmm... yours is one of the opinions that I am really interested in. By your prior discussion, here, you have gone the extra mile (and then some). Today, Apple didn't resolve, or even address your problem. You have gone through the replacement route at least 2 times (that you have posted here). You have, ultimately, returned your iPhone 4 and received credit for restocking fees, ETFs, and even an AppleCare purchase from AT&T.

What do you plan to do now?

• Reply 125 of 286
    Quote:

You don't understand my point. Many people are aware of this issue. Many of these same people know Apple is aware of the issue. So why would the customer who is experiencing this issue call Applecare to report it if they know Apple already knows about and is working on.

Gotcha, I thought you were saying AppleCare doesn?t start right away. I have read that in other posts. Yeah, I said something similar in another thread. Surely they chose the best stat to make them look good, as they should, but it?s all marketing. We have to separate the meaningful data from the marketing spin, as usual. This isn?t unique to Apple or unethical, Apple is simply better at it than most.
  • Reply 126 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

However I never, ever have dropped calls on Verizon....

... what can I say?

I can make the same claim for Verizon-- only because I've never used them,

• Reply 127 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You're giving it away too easily. Rule 1 to trolling: sell it like you believe it.

... from one who wrote the book on trolling!

• Reply 128 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

Did anyone notice Steve Jobs said (in the Q and A) that the Apple Campus has both AT&T and Verizon Antenna's? Would that mean they are using those towers to test Verizon capable iPhones? Did he slip...?

At the very least Verizon has placed a cell tower on Apple property (as they do wherever they need a tower) and paid for the privilege!

Could mean more than that or not!

• Reply 129 of 286
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    • Apple said they aren’t perfect. That destroys the trolls who think Apple should be.They tested it against other phones with different OSes. But will that be enough for the haters?

• The mentioned that there is no standard for bars. This is one area I’d like the FCC to be involved. Either make it standard. Or get rid of them altogether, instead list the best connection type.

• I like that he also stated they may be too liberal with their algorithm

• I found it funny that he took at a jab at Android OS battery efficiency being shite.

• I wonder what the return rate is for other phones if the average is above 6% and I (anecdotally) know a lot more people that have hated Palm and Android phones and returned them than people that have returned iPhones. ⅓ the return rates of the 3GS? Really? But I thought everyone was returning them. I wonder where the trolls are today.

• <1 additional cal per 100. New chips, no case, and huge upsurge in sales saturating AT&T’s network? I would think that number will be fairly lower than the 3GS numbers by the iPhone 5 comes out.

• I was wrong about them giving away cases in lieu of gift certificates, but since they are also including 3rd-party case makers that satisfied my theory that there would be backlash from case makers if they simply gave away Bumpers and only Bumpers.

• Reevaluate the free Bumper option in September? Interesting. If this was a “design flaw” they would have offered it up immediately for all iPhone 4s regardless of timeframe. The fact that they have cut off tells me they are doing this for “dramage” control to appease consumers. That’s it. Sure, they are working on a solution to reduce the attenuation to something more in line with (say) the Nexus One’s max 17dB, so long as it’s transparent, but that is what all decent companies do: tweak their products.

Quite. I think the bumper option was a shrewd move. It will silence a lot of the critics. By August end if there are still people whining they'll have a harder time getting heard - 'Oh Shut up - get a free bumper / case'. If they need to they can extend the option but I think there will be no need. I think the whiners will have withered. Who knows, maybe they are planning a revision which they hope will be in place by then.

I think Apple did a pretty good job at restoring its image. A call back was a ridiculous option as is the feeble cry for them to apologise that pops up from time to time. Even though I thought they pumped the 'We Love Our Customers sooooo Much! but I do believe they care. And not just for the sake of the bottom line.
  • Reply 130 of 286

You've been outmaneuvered by Steve Jobs. He has furnished the press/blogs/customers/investors with factual information that can be quantified, proved and believed.

Also, he has given anyone who has iPhone 4 issues two viable alternatives to resolve the issue: return/replace or encase-- both at no charge.

That solves the bulk of the user issues-- not all, but the bulk.

So, unless you can refute Steve's facts and acts, nobody is gonna' waste time listening to you (or me challenging you).

The feeding frenzy is mort-- checkmate!

• Reply 131 of 286
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Fact: iPhone 4 antenna gets better reception than any other smartphone antenna to date.

Not true. From a different article on this web site: "Apple on Friday shared a summary of dropped call data it received from wireless partner AT&T, which revealed that the iPhone 4 experiences more dropped calls than the iPhone 3GS, but at a rate less than one per 100 greater."

Quote:

Fact: all smartphones have the same issue when the antenna is held.

True.

Quote:

Fact: iPhone 4 drops calls less than any other phone to date

Not true. Go back to the "Signal Attenuation Comparison in dB - Lower is Better" chart on anandtech.com. The iPhone 4 had the worst reception (compared to the 3GS and the Nexus One).

Quote:

Fact: iPhone 4 is more likely to still be able to make a call in low reception areas than other smartphones.

Again from Anandtech: " The Antenna is Improved

From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."

This is only a comparison between the iPhone 4 and 3GS - not "other smartphones."

Quote:

Fact: The iPhone 4 antenna is exactly the way it was designed to be.

Okay.

Quote:

The iPhone 4 antenna is no different from any other phone antenna in regards the holding problem. It's just plain logic that if the antenna is operating as designed and performing better than all the other antennas out there, that there is no "fault" in the antenna design.

It is not true that the antenna is "performing better than all the other antennas out there." Reread anandtech again, this time a little more carefully.
  • Reply 132 of 286
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... from one who wrote the book on trolling!

I didn't write the book, dick
  • Reply 133 of 286
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

yes.. so out of 3 million its 0.55% as steve said. And lets be honest.. of that minute fraction, do you really think all 16,500 are right next to a cell tower? Probably not right. So seriously, out of 3 million people so far How many of them are people who are experience genuine antenna issues.. Not because their are simply in a dead zone or very weak service area, and not because their Phone is simply defective (Which is also something Very possible with any product ever made.. there is gonna be a couple duds).

What maybe 3000-5000 tops?

I think Steve was making a decent point when he said this is just blown WAY out of proportion.

I mean common.. the media was talking about a 100% recall for god sakes..

you're not taking into account people who are only experiencing it slightly, and not really seeing dropped calls like others are. Not to mention all the people who are lying. Also, don't forget to ignore people who bought fake iphones, so they aren't even allowed to complain about it.

Really, when you think of it like that, the number is probably less than a few dozen.
  • Reply 134 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Not true. From a different article on this web site: "Apple on Friday shared a summary of dropped call data it received from wireless partner AT&T, which revealed that the iPhone 4 experiences more dropped calls than the iPhone 3GS, but at a rate less than one per 100 greater.

[…]

Not true. Go back to the "Signal Attenuation Comparison in dB - Lower is Better" chart on anandtech.com. The iPhone 4 had the worst reception (compared to the 3GS and the Nexus One).

[…]

It is not true that the antenna is "performing better than all the other antennas out there." Reread anandtech again, this time a little more carefully.

1) "Best reception" doesn’t equate to the "least attenuation with a death grip”.

2) Why don’t you post the part that shows it’s worse in all areas. I recall reading that it did perform better in certain areas than all the others they tested.

3) The iPhone 4 clearly has some benefits from the antenna design used. Even AnandTech listed they even got the bars to go up with WiFi and with cellular by gripping it, and noted that RF is a strange beast (or something to that effect). The result is there is good and bad, but it’s mostly good for most people most of the time.

4) To quote Gruber, “the iPhone 4 antenna is better overall, but has a worse weakness”.
  • Reply 135 of 286
    Quote:

1) I recall reading that it did perform better in certain areas than all the others they tested..

Only with a bumper on, and only compared to the iPhone 3GS. Go back and reread the test. There is no doubt the iPhone 4 antenna has advantages over the 3GS antenna. But only if properly shielded (bumper) from the human hand.
  • Reply 136 of 286
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

1) "Best reception" doesn?t equate to the "least attenuation with a death grip?.

Did you read my post? Here's what I wrote: "From a different article on this web site: 'Apple on Friday shared a summary of dropped call data it received from wireless partner AT&T, which revealed that the iPhone 4 experiences more dropped calls than the iPhone 3GS, but at a rate less than one per 100 greater.'"

Quote:

2) Why don?t you post the part that shows it?s worse in all areas. I recall reading that it did perform better in certain areas than all the others they tested.

I also had this in my post: "'The Antenna is Improved - From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.'"

It did sometimes perform better than the 3GS. My point was that the original poster asserted that this was a comparison between "other smartphones." That is not the case. This was only a comparison between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS. The Droid Incredible, the Nexus One, and a host of other smartphones were not part of this comparison.

Quote:

3) The iPhone 4 clearly has some benefits from the antenna design used. Even AnandTech listed they even got the bars to go up with WiFi and with cellular by gripping it, and noted that RF is a strange beast (or something to that effect). The result is there is good and bad, but it?s mostly good for most people most of the time.

Here's the quote from anandtech: "With my bumper case on, I made it further into dead zones than ever before, and into marginal areas that would always drop calls without any problems at all. It's amazing really to experience the difference in sensitivity the iPhone 4 brings compared to the 3GS, and issues from holding the phone aside, reception is absolutely definitely improved. I felt like I was going places no iPhone had ever gone before. There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS."

You're right it is better with the qualification that he had a bumper case on. Without, I can't say. Again, my main problem with the original poster was that he was characterizing these claims as compared to all smartphones. That is not the case.
  • Reply 137 of 286
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

The average user has no need for that option though so it's really not likely to happen. Better to buy an app that gives you the same info.

Okay, name an app that provides the raw signal strength information that Field Test Mode does in every version of iPhone OS previous to iOS 4 and in competing Android OS phones.

You're right, from Apple's perspective, the "average user" no longer needs this information, because it would expose the iPhone 4's extreme signal attenuation behavior to a wide audience--beyond the AnandTech and Consumer Reports labs and into the hands of anyone anywhere any time. I'm confident Apple won't restore Field Test Mode to iOS 4 because the results would be totally embarrassing and shareholders would get upset. Honesty and openness only go so far, you know? Nevertheless, this unwillingness of Apple to completely own up to its design decisions makes me sick.
  • Reply 138 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Did you read my post? Here's what I wrote: "From a different article on this web site: 'Apple on Friday shared a summary of dropped call data it received from wireless partner AT&T, which revealed that the iPhone 4 experiences more dropped calls than the iPhone 3GS, but at a rate less than one per 100 greater.’”

I’m only going to reply to the first section because your posts are tedious and basically cover the same thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody

Fact: iPhone 4 antenna gets better reception than any other smartphone antenna to date.

Not true. From a different article on this web site: "Apple on Friday shared a summary of dropped call data it received from wireless partner AT&T, which revealed that the iPhone 4 experiences more dropped calls than the iPhone 3GS, but at a rate less than one per 100 greater.”

He made a comment on reception, which AnandTech (and many others) also noted with the iPhone 4, but you replied with a quote about dropped call data, thus implying that more dropped calls means the reception is worse. Do you not see how these things are not necessarily related or that you can’t drop a call unless you can first connect to a call?
  • Reply 139 of 286
    Quote:

Only with a bumper on, and only compared to the iPhone 3GS. Go back and reread the test. There is no doubt the iPhone 4 antenna has advantages over the 3GS antenna. But only if properly shielded (bumper) from the human hand.

That?s not remotely true. There are plenty of tech writers and bloggers who say that the iPhone 4 gets them reception where they previously had none, with no case.
  • Reply 140 of 286
    Quote:

That’s not remotely true. There are plenty of tech writers and bloggers who say that the iPhone 4 gets them reception where they previously had none, with no case.

Yes, true. If they avoid touching the seam. The issue, the flaw. The seam that is easily touched by naturally holding the phone.