Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers

Comments

• Reply 221 of 241
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Since we all love pictures:

Galaxy Tab has higher pixel per inch than the iPad.

1024 x 600 on a 7" screen vs 1024 x 768 on a 9.7" screen.
  • Reply 222 of 241
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's kind of funny that one of the major criticisms of the iPad was that it was "just a big iPod Touch." Subsequently, we can see that Apple did a fair amount of work to optimize core apps and UI conventions (split screens, pop over menus, etc) to make iOS iPad specific.

Yet the Galaxy is quite literally a big Android phone, and the Android fans are entranced. It's amazing, how quickly the terms of the debate are changed to favor the anyone-but-Apple crowd, and how we're expected to maintain a perpetual state of short term memory loss in order to humor them.
  • Reply 223 of 241
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I've got Newtron on ignore, so i don't know or care what he's going on about, but 11 posts in a row strikes me as an attempt to swamp the thread. Mods?

The only thing interesting about Newtron is that he waited until a 2 day old thread was silent for 12 hours before he had the ... (courage ?) ... to post those 11 replies. .... kinda pathetic, don't you think? .... shows up after the discussion is over ... very telling.
  • Reply 224 of 241
    Quote:

It's kind of funny that one of the major criticisms of the iPad was that it was "just a big iPod Touch." Subsequently, we can see that Apple did a fair amount of work to optimize core apps and UI conventions (split screens, pop over menus, etc) to make iOS iPad specific.

Yet the Galaxy is quite literally a big Android phone, and the Android fans are entranced. It's amazing, how quickly the terms of the debate are changed to favor the anyone-but-Apple crowd, and how we're expected to maintain a perpetual state of short term memory loss in order to humor them.

The Galaxy Tab, specifically, has optimized its core apps and UI conventions to suit the Tablet style.

Check out this video:

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-...2010-20100908/
  • Reply 225 of 241
    They've done a few superficial things to their Touch Wiz UI to scale it up. Google, on the other hand, doesn't think Android is really optimized for tablets.

An OEM shell to cover for the shortcomings of the underlying OS is exactly where MS was with their Windows Mobile strategy, and their fans kept insisting that various applications of this or that UI fixed all the problems and made it great.

The trouble there is that you can have some layers that look and act fine but you keep running into where the facade ends, and the seams are usually pretty jarring. It's vastly different than Apple's careful, from the ground up development of iOS, designed to serve as their mobile OS across a variety of devices.

I'm not saying that Android is anywhere near as grim as Windows Mobile, or that Google won't get around to making a tablet version. But relying on Samsung to do the kind of at depth rejiggering needed to make a tablet OS feel seamless through and through seems misguided.
  • Reply 226 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Since we all love pictures:

Galaxy Tab has higher pixel per inch than the iPad.

1024 x 600 on a 7" screen vs 1024 x 768 on a 9.7" screen.

It's plugged in.

Is the battery life that bad?
  • Reply 227 of 241
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    You really don't have to respond do every single post. If nothing else, at least use multi-quote, it's very easy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Nope. For that money, I could get a hot shit Dell laptop with a 1080p screen and BluRay and eSATA and HDMI and USB3.

I'll bite, where? The closest Blu-Ray-based Dell notebook I've found doesn't have a 1080p screen and doesn't have USB3 (17R). The next closest I've found is $1900 and doesn't have USB3 and still doesn't have a 1080p screen (Alienware M17x). I have a Dell notebook with the same case as the 17R and the chassis is flimsy to say the least. The chassis does the job so far but it is not confidence inspiring. The Alienware is going for a bizarre look, I hope it works for them.
  • Reply 228 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The only thing interesting about Newtron is that he waited until a 2 day old thread was silent for 12 hours before he had the ... (courage ?) ... to post those 11 replies. .... kinda pathetic, don't you think? .... shows up after the discussion is over ... very telling.

Quote:

I've got Newtron on ignore, so i don't know or care what he's going on about, but 11 posts in a row strikes me as an attempt to swamp the thread. Mods?

Yes, I was waiting for the response to my posts on this, page 6 of this thread.
  • Reply 229 of 241
    Quote:

No, you don't understand. Apple makes all devices with perfect dimensions. No pejorative adjective can describe an Apple product.

So the Samsung is fat, while the iP4 is perfect.

Nah, the iPhone 4 is a little chunky proportion wise. But most people that get it, I imagine, like the feel of it in their hands. There are SonyEs that are much slimmer, however, they are not iOS nor many are Android devices.

I'll reiterate, the Samsung is chunkier than the iPad proportion wise.
  • Reply 230 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron;

How visible are stars when one is staring at a backlit display? Does it restrict itself to red? Or does it ruin your night vision?

Actually I have the Skygazer HD app on my iPad. It is pretty darn nice. You have the full colour view and the motion tracking. You can set the star magnitude threshold so in city night viewing you can pick out only the brighter stars quite easily. If the iPad is too bright, you go to the red-only night vision mode which is just nice. But at the lowest brightness setting of the iPad in city night sky viewing, it's alright. I prefer this app to Pocket Universe, haven't tried Skywalk.

Just for the record, unfortunately I can't multi-quote because there is no feature for this for posts by those on your ignore list.
  • Reply 231 of 241
    Quote:

None of those other things are handheld devices. Nice try.

But the fact is, by the Fanboi metric, the iP4 is positviely obese. But by the reality metric, the Samsung is thinner than the iPad.

I think we all agree, that it is thinner nobody is going to fight that but to me and to most other people it looks fatter. Is this simple enough?
  • Reply 232 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The Galaxy Tab, specifically, has optimized its core apps and UI conventions to suit the Tablet style.

Check out this video:

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-...2010-20100908/

Quote:

They've done a few superficial things to their Touch Wiz UI to scale it up. Google, on the other hand, doesn't think Android is really optimized for tablets.

An OEM shell to cover for the shortcomings of the underlying OS is exactly where MS was with their Windows Mobile strategy, and their fans kept insisting that various applications of this or that UI fixed all the problems and made it great.

The trouble there is that you can have some layers that look and act fine but you keep running into where the facade ends, and the seams are usually pretty jarring. It's vastly different than Apple's careful, from the ground up development of iOS, designed to serve as their mobile OS across a variety of devices.

I'm not saying that Android is anywhere near as grim as Windows Mobile, or that Google won't get around to making a tablet version. But relying on Samsung to do the kind of at depth rejiggering needed to make a tablet OS feel seamless through and through seems misguided.

...A Samuung representative took the occasian to announce that their "Touch Wiz" interface has been upgraded for the Tab and renamed as Potemkin...

• Reply 233 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGonz View Post

It's plugged in.

I am diffident about the idea of running electrical wires into my front pants pockets...

• Reply 234 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am diffident about the idea of running electrical wires into my front pants pockets...

It won't be like that (unless it comes with a ton of bloatware.)

My verizon fascinate (galaxy S) had some vzw software on it, as well as a bunch of apps i'll NEVER use, and after rooting the phone and uninstalling these things, I'm seeing AMAZING battery life. Android is very capable of running a tablet and not draining the battery, so long as services from these kinds of apps are stopped.

The only reason it's plugged in those pictures is because it was probably on display, and therefore had people messing with it all day draining the battery.
  • Reply 235 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It won't be like that (unless it comes with a ton of bloatware.)

My verizon fascinate (galaxy S) had some vzw software on it, as well as a bunch of apps i'll NEVER use, and after rooting the phone and uninstalling these things, I'm seeing AMAZING battery life. Android is very capable of running a tablet and not draining the battery, so long as services from these kinds of apps are stopped.

The only reason it's plugged in those pictures is because it was probably on display, and therefore had people messing with it all day draining the battery.

So a Galaxy Tab on a Verizon contract is sure to get great battery life as long as your'e prepared to root it and uninstall stuff? That sounds like a recipe for mass market success, all right.
  • Reply 236 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGonz View Post

It's plugged in.

The second picture does'nt have a plug in it. Your argument is invalid.

Oh for those naysayers, the Galaxy Tab has a AFFS display where the iPad has S-IPS display:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100907VL202.html

• Reply 237 of 241
    the tab was on the convention floor for what seemed to me quite a number of hours with only a security lock on it, no charger, running a super intense 3D flash game. I don't really have hard number because I wasn't timing things, anyone know?
  • Reply 238 of 241
    This is one of their accessory for the Galaxy Tab.

This should get interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/28/g...-99-pre-order/
  • Reply 239 of 241
    UPDATE:

Samsung Galaxy Tab hitting T-Mobile USA on November 10th, $400 on contract

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/s...er-10th-price/
  • Reply 240 of 241
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    One thing I am curious though, there are more people buying the Wifi iPad than the Wifi/3G iPad and if this is the case, what advantage does the Samsung Galaxy having four carriers over the iPad besides that??