Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers

Comments

• Reply 121 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Fact: The Newton MessagePad was released in 1993.

BTW, it was comparatively fatter than the iPad is.

Wow!

You're really 'reaching' there, given that there's a world of (functional) difference between a Personal Digital Assistant/PDA (Note: The term PDA was first used on January 7, 1992 by Apple Computer CEO John Sculley at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, referring to the Apple Newton."), like the Newton, and a modern day slate/tablet.
  • Reply 122 of 241
    Now that does look like a big iPhone or iPod Touch.
  • Reply 123 of 241
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

That is not the attribute under discussion. It is a different topic entirely.

The claim was with regard to thickness, and not proportions.

Wel yeah, it looks thick in the picture but as has been pointed out, it isn't that thick really. It just looks that way because of the proportions.

So my guess is that if Apple brings out an 7" version it will be proportionally in line with the present iPad.
  • Reply 124 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While your at it sit in a Rolls Royce or Ferrari and see the build quality. Not everyone can afford an iPad. They go with their wallet.

I completely Agree! and wholeheartedly welcome all these manufacturers to the fold.
  • Reply 125 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Fact: Apple did NOT invent that slate/tablet computer (they've been available to consumers since 2003), nor was it even the first to market a slate/tablet running a mobile OS (that would be Archos).

What about the Newton?
  • Reply 126 of 241
    Quote:

Man, this looks great. I look forward to the WiFi-only models.

You know i had a feeling you'd like this. I bet you never buy one though.

Still, i can see your having fun replying to all the fanboys.
  • Reply 127 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Now that does look like a big iPhone or iPod Touch.

They all do, after all there's only so much designers can do with this particular form-factor i.e. slate/tablet.

More to the point, it resembles a larger Samsung Galaxy S, which is a very good thing - IMO.
  • Reply 128 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

What about the Newton?

Again: The Newton was Personal Digital Assistant/PDA with nowhere near the computing functionality of modern slate/tablet devices.
  • Reply 129 of 241
    Quote:

They all do, after all there's only so much designers can do with this particular form-factor i.e. slate/tablet.

More to the point, it resembles a larger Samsung Galaxy S, which is a very good thing - IMO.

Hmmm...it's suddenly become fashionable and ok to resemble an iPhone or iPod Touch now a competitor has come out. How times have changed.
  • Reply 130 of 241
    I don't really think the thickness argument is all that important. This is by design a smaller device than the iPad, and how all the dimensions work in proportion is something we won't really know until we get chance to hold one of them.

One thing this does make me realise is just how much of a game changed the iPad has been. A couple of years ago and pretty much every computer manufacturer was desperate to jump on the Netbook bandwagon, but now Apple have clearly created a market that didn't exist before (I know tablets existed pre-iPad, but there was little market) and everyone is chasing this bandwagon. Asus did an amazing job creating the netbook market, and Apple similarly have clearly got a product just right to create this market.

Personally I'm not that wowed by the Samsung effort, mostly because I'm not that wowed by Android. I personally don't own an Android phone, but the ones my friends have that I have played with look a mess. I know they have a lot of flexibility to change the look and feel of it, but all that seems to have done to my eye is make it confusing. I'm sure if it was actually mine what would look a mess to others would probably make sense to me, but it just doesn't seem inviting.

Perhaps with a bigger screen it will be clearer.

Still, all told, I'm glad Apple is seeing some competition. Mac OS languished until they realised MS had started to leapfrog them with Windows 95, and that ended up giving us the frankly excellent OSX, and I hope Android will continue to push Apple to better and better things.
  • Reply 131 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thor008u2 View Post

Bogus. It *is* true that "...other companies can only copy instead of come up with something at all original." Otherwise, the Galaxy tab and all the others currently in production would have been first to market, i.e., these companies would have innovated and introduced the marketplace itself... like Apple has already done, paving the way.

Which companies can only copy? I am unaware of a single example.

IMO, the statement's truth or falsity is not dependent upon market timing of the Tab.
  • Reply 132 of 241
    Quote:

Wow!

You're really 'reaching' there, given that there's a world of (functional) difference between a Personal Digital Assistant/PDA (Note: The term PDA was first used on January 7, 1992 by Apple Computer CEO John Sculley at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, referring to the Apple Newton."), like the Newton, and a modern day slate/tablet.

Oh, now it's about "functional difference" is it? Well, there's a world of functional difference between the iPad and the devices you referred to, so, based on your new criteria, you're still wrong. FACT.
  • Reply 133 of 241
    Quote:

Hmmm...it's suddenly become fashionable and ok to resemble an iPhone or iPod Touch now a competitor has come out. How times have changed.

Well... It's not like the iPhone/Touch/iPad didn't adopt the overall design aesthetic of the Hp/Compaq TC1XXX from 2003 http://www.tabletpccorner.net/news_p...00-linux01.jpg

It's really nothing new, or particularly egregious.
  • Reply 134 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

blame for what exactly?

"'One carrier' thing is Apple's Achilles heel."

I disputed this. Please read the posts before responding.
  • Reply 135 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

So now fatter has suddenly become an absolute term to you! But thicker (as you correctly point out is a relative word, as opposed to thicness) is not!

I'm done arguing about definitions of words. Carry on without me.
  • Reply 136 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What?! ... and you have never speculated about anything in your posts?!

He never said anything remotely like that.
  • Reply 137 of 241
    Quote:

He never said anything remotely like that.

Oh... here we go... Fric and Frac...
  • Reply 138 of 241
    Quote:

You know i had a feeling you'd like this. I bet you never buy one though.

Likely you are correct. By the time I feel the category is mature enough to be worth the investment, likely the Tab will be relegated to last-year's model.

I am rarely an early adopter. For example, the iPhone never caught my interest until the 3GS, which I use daily. Even though it has been bested by many other phones, I still use it, and will continue to do so until the category becomes more mature.

By next spring, I expect to have many, many compelling choices of phones. I may decide to get another iPhone, but at this point, with the iPhone falling behind so quickly, it seems unlikely.
  • Reply 139 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh... here we go... Fric and Frac...

Isn't a 'hermit' a person who lives, to some degree, in seclusion from society.

Just Saying...
  • Reply 140 of 241
    Let's get real. This Korean POS is for

Windows loving losers.

And where will they take it for service?

ATT? I said get real.

Take it to Korea. (love you long time)